Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 07:01 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,668 times

Advertisements

I agree with the others that say if he does not agree to staying in treatment, you'll need to think about yourself and your future without him. It may sound cold but being with a bipolar who won't get treated won't do your mental health any good.

I used to dread going home from work as I didn't know if my ex would be hyper, or hanging his head talking about killing himself. It got so bad I had to keep myself from telling him to go ahead and kill himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 08:09 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,066,267 times
I guess that's why so many folks jokingly say,
Sex is nobody's business except for the three people involved !

Old 01-24-2010, 08:29 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,305,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I've posted on the "Relationships" forum before but I figured I'd try this one.

My husband of 18 months was diagnosed with bipolar disorder back in late August of last year. He's been on Seroquel since and also has been seeing a psychologist.

However, he suddenly decided he doesn't want to be with me anymore...that he is not in love with me nor attracted to me. He's been distant for a while but never talked about it. I don't know what to do.

He says he is fine...but he's not. He has no motivation to look for a job and I've been supporting us for almost 8 months! He has crazy mood swings and he doesn't seem like the same man I fell in love with.

I don't know what to do.

We're seeing a marriage counselor next week....but I feel so lost
Had a gal pal once, who wasted 15 years of her life doing exactly what you've just described (financial support, etc.). The guy was bi-polar and a chronic cheat.

BTW FYI, cheating seems to go hand-in- hand with this mental illness. Your hubby may not be, but you should be aware and alert as to the extreme possibility.

Unless a miracle happens, you are destined for great heartbreak, and a lot of regret.

Best of luck to you-you're gonna need it!!

Old 01-24-2010, 08:46 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,668 times
I didn't add that my ex hub who was bipolar was also a chronic cheat. Since he was very good-looking with a nice voice he had no trouble finding someone to do it with.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:03 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
I guess the OP isn't very happy that she's not finding support here.

But we all know that she's in for a future of heartache if she stays with him.

Sadly, she'll have to figure that out herself.

I really could care less if she ruins her own life, but I fear she might have children with him.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:49 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,054,512 times
Check the meds too. Seroquel is not hugely popular for bipolor alone (it's for psychosis, control of excessive mania and schizophrenia), and is very often used in combination with a more traditional mood stabilizer. It will dampen things, but the swings can be still there.

Though, if he is unwilling to do anything else...there is nothing to do. You can't help some one who won't help themselves, or doesn't want you in their life. Sometimes the best thing you can do for a person is to let them find out themselves.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:59 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,725,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I've posted on the "Relationships" forum before but I figured I'd try this one.

My husband of 18 months was diagnosed with bipolar disorder back in late August of last year. He's been on Seroquel since and also has been seeing a psychologist.

However, he suddenly decided he doesn't want to be with me anymore...that he is not in love with me nor attracted to me. He's been distant for a while but never talked about it. I don't know what to do.

He says he is fine...but he's not. He has no motivation to look for a job and I've been supporting us for almost 8 months! He has crazy mood swings and he doesn't seem like the same man I fell in love with.

I don't know what to do.

We're seeing a marriage counselor next week....but I feel so lost
1. You married him before his diagnosis, but clearly he was bipolar before you married him. Maybe you prefer him in his unmedicated state?

2. If he's having mood swings and he's taking his meds, maybe he needs his meds adjusted. There are many meds on the market for bipolar disorders, and many are hit or miss. My son is bipolar and it tooks us several years to come up with the correct mix of drugs to stabilize him. Talk to the psychiatrist and give it a little more time.

3. Even if new meds are effective, you are in for a wild ride. My best wishes to you.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:19 AM

75 posts, read 197,466 times
I think I have a different opinon of EVERYONE on this board. I DO NOT think you are necessarily in for a horrible, awful, wild heart breaking ride that will just have you "wasting" your life away... But he needs to get help.

I am bipolar. I do not cheat on my boyfriend and sleep with everyone. I do not try to kill myself --not that I've never cheated or attempted suicide--. I do however, go through many many mood swings occasionally when I'm not treated. There are two sides to bipolar, manic and depressed. It sounds like he's going through a phase of depression (and they vary in how long they can last). I think he needs to see someone, and get a medication adjustment. I tried what seemed like a million medications before I found something that worked. I still have phases where I sleep very little, and my thoughts seem far too fast... And there are times where I've not wanted to go out and do anything, or even get out of bed and when my boyfriend asked why all I could tell him was I didn't know, and cry. It definitely makes a relationship harder, but it's not impossible. We have a great relationship, we live together, and I believe you can have a good marriage if he's willing to find something that works for him and his moods can be stabilized. Marriage counseling could help, but I also suggest individual treatment/therapy for his illness. I hope you can work things out, but if they can't be, know that there's nothing YOU could have done. He needs to take control of this situation, and help himself first. Best of luck.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,082 times
Please if anyone wants to talk I need some advise. I need help, I'm ready to give up on my bipolar husband. Aim at: netnetpanda102 or emial at [email]netnetpanda102@gmail.com[/email]

Old 04-07-2012, 10:14 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
My wife is bipolar. DM (direct message) me here and I'd be glad to "talk."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health