Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 11:00 AM

276 posts, read 745,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmmjsm View Post
I quit 3 years ago, cold turkey, after smoking 22 years. It was tough, I felt like I had the flu for 3 days. BUT- when you get past 72 hours, you begin to feel better... really. I made it with support form my family, and the American Lung Association's Freedom from Smoking Program.

Totally free, and wonderful. I got great support from there- 24 hours a day people are in and out of the message boards with encouragement and stories of success. They had great tips to help you quit and stay smoke free.

I really believe I did it with the combination of serious desire to quit and the Lung Association and family support. Check it out, and best wishes!!

Home Page
Thanks, I am getting support from an online program. It helps to some degree but there are not a lot of words that ease 42 years of dependency. But I'm in day three and haven't slept Hoping the anxiety will wear down soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 11:09 AM

2,126 posts, read 2,375,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Since Chantrix has been mentioned a couple of times i'd be remiss if i didn't advice people to do some research if they are thinking about using that potentially very harmful drug.
Research is essential with Chantix. Although be warned that the internet is, unsurprisingly, chock full of horror stories about user experiences. One rather strange article about one man's use of it:

One Man's Experience With the Stop-Smoking Drug Chantix -- New York Magazine

I'm giving Chantix a shot and actually, the almost creepiest thing to me is just how effective it is. My urge to smoke was completely absent the first day I started it (and I quit with the cigs on the 1st day too). The interest in wine or any other sort of drink is also gone, though my "pleasure" for the things I truly enjoy remains, thankfully. So something that has the ability to completely zap the urge in a rather powerful addiction- and it's been on the market for a relatively short period- indeed needs research.

The overwhelming advice I have received from people who have had experience with Chantix is to really have people close to you sort of "keep watch." Even so called "normal people" with no history of psychological issues can get batty on Chantix, particularly the longer you take it.

Biggest issue has been insomnia. And dreams have indeed been affected. Perhaps one of the more interesting aspects of Chantix, beyond its effectiveness.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:20 PM

33 posts, read 99,486 times
It'll be two years in April for me! Yay!! I quit cold turkey. After pills, gum, patches, and pretty much everything else I tried, I just stopped. It was awful at first but now I can't even stand the smell of cigarettes anymore (getting my sense of smell back is a good and bad thing!) Yes, I've gained weight and I'm working on that now (if it's not one thing, it's another!) I'll get that under control as well I'm sure. I'm very proud of myself and anyone else who can conquer quitting as well!

Old 02-24-2010, 12:53 PM

Congrats to anyone who has successfully quit! And it's encouraging to hear the methods and experiences you had during your quit, even what led you up to make the decision to quit because it's different for everyone. Half way through day three!

Old 02-24-2010, 07:14 PM

Hey! congrats on quitting It's the best thing we can do for ourselves. One of the reasons many people, women imparticular, smoke is to keep weight off! don't stop eating! perhaps just eat healthier...more fresh fruit and veggies will also help you clear your system and detox faster along with lots of water. Most people including me do gain weight after quitting and the older we are the more difficult it is to lose. Walking is good and if it's cold where you are then layer up! and go for walks. Doodle, scribble, cry and scream into your pillow, keep a journal and write! write lots. figure out why you began to smoke to begin with and why you continued. Anything you can think of to remain positive and strong through your quit even think back to the fact that you did succeed at one time. You had a relapse and now you're ready again! I'm pretty high strung and don't have it in me to do cold turkey after 42 1/2 years. And I'm grateful that there are things out there to help those of us who need help. Also the lung association has an online forum for those quitting. Best wishes to your success!

Old 02-24-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph937 View Post
It'll be two years in April for me! Yay!! I quit cold turkey. After pills, gum, patches, and pretty much everything else I tried, I just stopped. It was awful at first but now I can't even stand the smell of cigarettes anymore (getting my sense of smell back is a good and bad thing!) Yes, I've gained weight and I'm working on that now (if it's not one thing, it's another!) I'll get that under control as well I'm sure. I'm very proud of myself and anyone else who can conquer quitting as well!
Way to go

Old 02-25-2010, 08:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,262 times
I truly agree, because it's been 11 days of not smoking for me using the patch and it has worked wonders.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:04 AM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,663,016 times
OP. Hang in there! Take it DAY BY DAY and get off the patch as soon as you can. Wean off it. Once off do not even take 1 cig or go back on the patch! Or the clock starts all over again. The first week or 2 are the hardest, then it's smooth sailing! You gotta beat the habit and emotional parts as well. The drug dependance is the easy part. Once the drug is out of your system you will have less cravings and withdrawals. You just have to get used to not using the nasty cig as a crutch at this point!

I would also recommend you get a jar or bank account and deposit the $ you would of spent on your worthless habit, and see the $ $ $ add up.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:56 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,623,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elisaa View Post
Even casual smokers are at risk! glad your still here and that you quit. I knew a man my friends father who each night when he got home from work had one shot and two ciggy's! He was into his 50's at the time and had a heart attack! He survived and quit and is still around going into his 90's.
Interesting and convienient tale. But is it truth or illustrative fiction?

Old 02-25-2010, 12:01 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,639,555 times
I quit for 2 years. Went to a club one night drinking. Stupidly took a cig offered to me and been downhill since then. I think when i quit the first time i had the flu. Didnt smoke while i was sick and just kept on with it. The flu can be a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health