Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2010, 02:49 PM

1,895 posts, read 3,415,903 times

Advertisements

I'de like to get some feedback from anyone with experience personally, or with someone with whom you've known to have been prescribed Provigil/Modafinil for Mild Depression.

Here's a link with some info.

Modafinil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A few years ago, I finally decided to see a doc about my Depression...I don't believe i'm full blown depressed, just seem to go through periods of time where I had feelings of hopelessness and worthlessness...it would be combined with feelings of being tired, and not being able to focus while at work...of course it spilled over into my personal life with family...other times i was just as happy as could be.

For the longest time I felt as if it were normal to have this feeling, and to some degree still do...I mean, everyone has down times at some point in their life.

So, the doc i visited gave me a script of Cymbalta, which i got filled immediately, after 30 minutes or so, i got a very strange feeling...went to back to work, only for this feeling to get worse, almost hallucinagenic...felt like i was having an anxiety attack! i went home and called the doc, and he said to not take anymore...the feeling eventually went away.

I went back to the doc a few days later, and he gave me a script of Provigil...he advised me this was somewhat of an unorthadox method, and to only take the pill on days where i felt most needed. I followed his orders, and it did the trick. It allowed me to be very productive at work, staying very focused, and it spilled over to the personal life as well...i wasn't taking them everyday, only days where i woke up with a feeling of a rain cloud following me around!

Unfortunately, i switched jobs, and the new insurance would not cover Provigil, they stated that I needed to go through all these hoops of trying other meds before they would allow it. After having a bad episode of Cymbalta, i wasn't willing to give anything else a try.

Now, i'm with another company, and hoping Provigil will be available again...i'll let you know, i have a doctor's appt. tomorrow.

I guess the point of this thread is to see if i'm the only one who's had success with this drug, and to find out how unorthadox this treatment really is...

thanks for reading, and look forward to your feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 06:36 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
I can't really answer your question, but I do want to point out that Cymbalta is a "double action" med, that is it hits both serotonin and norepenephine. Many anti-depressants only hit serotonin so you might well be able to take them without trouble.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:52 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,847 times
I don't have personal advice about the drugs, but...if it is working for you, I would try to pay out of pocket for the drug. I mean, as long as you can afford it (as in, you can pay your other bills while purchasing the script) if it works for you then you should stick with it. It sucks that your insurance doesn't cover it any more...but your mental health is faaaar more important than saving some $$$.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:03 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,415,903 times
thanks for the input!

Old 04-07-2010, 08:10 PM

25 posts, read 155,669 times
Did the Dr say how Provigil helps with your depression?

I have been trying to get it because I have Chronic Fatigue and it is suppose to help you stay awake. I'm very interested about the depression part because i am currently on Cymbalta.

Old 11-12-2019, 03:55 AM

1 posts, read 369 times
You can find Modafinil and Modvigil quite perfect for your current situation of mild depression. It actually increases your focus and reduces the extreme sleepiness caused by narcolepsy and other sleep disorders such as obstructive sleep apnea where you stop breathing during sleep. Not only this but it can also help you stay awake late if you are having overtime or any other work which keeps you from having a normal sleep routine. Modafinil is the key nervous system stimulant which helps in preventing an excessive amount of sleepiness that is found among people during the waking hours.

Old 11-12-2019, 12:04 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
For me, 10 yrs of clinical depression was FINALLY fixed with thyroid support...docs missed it for 10 miserable yrs.

Then for mild depression in 2006, getting Vit D levels UP took care of that issue. When I found how deficient I was, it was a shock.

There is more to life than more drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health