Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 11:35 AM

2 posts, read 19,517 times

Advertisements

What is the difference between a panic attack and an anxiety attack ?
I've been suffering from panic attacks and wanted to find out more about it and how it links with anxiety attacks.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 02:28 PM

65 posts, read 218,353 times
i think they are the same thing.i get them and its hell to go through.a few years back after my fifteenth or twentieth ER visit i finally started searching online for things to make it better.i started taking fish oil,coq10,magnesium,etc. those things helped me a lot.i just don't understand why not one doctor couldn't reccommend me to take magnesium or something to help it.i started viewing hospitals and doctors a lot differently afterwards.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:59 PM

427 posts, read 548,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxr2009 View Post
What is the difference between a panic attack and an anxiety attack ?
I've been suffering from panic attacks and wanted to find out more about it and how it links with anxiety attacks.

Thanks in advance.
Well, from my experience,(well actually, my wifes!), There can be a big diffrerence between panic attacks and anxiety attacks. P attack symptoms are often sudden and extremly intense--They hit ya "out of the blue". Ya might have pounding heart, sweating, shaking(no baking), chest pain, fear of dying, chills, hot flashes, good stuff like that. Now, with anxiety, on the other hand, it's over a period of time and related to alot of worry. Some of the symptoms can be similiar to p-attacks. Ya might have disturdbed sleep, fatigue,restlessness, increased heart rate. Anxiety symptoms are usually less intense than panic symptoms. And they can last a long time--days, or even weeks!! "They" offer many solutions, or "cures", from therapy to different medications.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:52 PM

345 posts, read 1,640,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEH2010 View Post
i think they are the same thing.i get them and its hell to go through.a few years back after my fifteenth or twentieth ER visit i finally started searching online for things to make it better.i started taking fish oil,coq10,magnesium,etc. those things helped me a lot.i just don't understand why not one doctor couldn't reccommend me to take magnesium or something to help it.i started viewing hospitals and doctors a lot differently afterwards.

no money in fish oil and magnesium.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:07 AM

65 posts, read 218,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino127 View Post
no money in fish oil and magnesium.

yes but that shows how they really are.you can't tell me out of all the times i saw those doctors not one could've given me advice or something.its sad.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:55 PM

677 posts, read 1,618,601 times
I think that a panic attack is physical whereas an anxiety attack is largely mental/emotional. I've never experienced a panic attack, but have heard that they're terrible.

I frequently suffer from anxiety attacks and they are awful. It's a sudden, severe, panic-y, almost frantic feeling of complete anxiety and fear. When it happens to me, I feel complete terror and need to retreat from whatever situation is causing it. In most cases this happens to me before I go into work or school, which is one reason that my resume is a bit choppy It's difficult to lead a normal and productive life when this happens often, especially because it happens at random and usually catches me off guard.

I think that in some cases an anxiety attack can lead to a panic attack, but I'm not an expert so take that for what it's worth But I'm pretty sure that the fragile mental state can lead to other parts of the body shutting down as well.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:11 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,484,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa "Hillbilly" Steve View Post
Well, from my experience,(well actually, my wifes!), There can be a big diffrerence between panic attacks and anxiety attacks. P attack symptoms are often sudden and extremly intense--They hit ya "out of the blue". Ya might have pounding heart, sweating, shaking(no baking), chest pain, fear of dying, chills, hot flashes, good stuff like that. Now, with anxiety, on the other hand, it's over a period of time and related to alot of worry. Some of the symptoms can be similiar to p-attacks. Ya might have disturdbed sleep, fatigue,restlessness, increased heart rate. Anxiety symptoms are usually less intense than panic symptoms. And they can last a long time--days, or even weeks!! "They" offer many solutions, or "cures", from therapy to different medications.
This pretty much sums it up. I have never really had full blown panic attacks with the hyperventilating and feeling of losing control, but I do have what I call "anxiety spells". These anxiety spells last from a few days to a couple of weeks. For me it's a feeling of doom, discomfort in my chest, depression, and sometimes diarrhea.

I also sometimes have short anxiety episodes when doing things like eating out or going to crowded places. This usually results in stomach problems but not really panic. I can usually control these short episodes with a dose of Imodium.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
This pretty much sums it up. I have never really had full blown panic attacks with the hyperventilating and feeling of losing control, but I do have what I call "anxiety spells". These anxiety spells last from a few days to a couple of weeks. For me it's a feeling of doom, discomfort in my chest, depression, and sometimes diarrhea.

I also sometimes have short anxiety episodes when doing things like eating out or going to crowded places. This usually results in stomach problems but not really panic. I can usually control these short episodes with a dose of Imodium.

Hi, I read the description of your triggers and it is not unlike many I talk to who get these feelings of anxiety and stomach problems. I am SURE most panic attacks are caused by chemicals, most likely formaldehyde.

When someone is in a crowd they are usually exposed to cigarette smoke which is filled with this deadly chemical.

please read this link and Google Formaldehyde anxiety or panic attacks. It will help you a lot.

ScienceDirect - Brain Research : Repeated low level formaldehyde exposure produces enhanced fear conditioning to odor in male, but not female, rats

http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/F...aily_Dose.html

Old 05-09-2010, 06:10 AM

9,268 posts, read 14,857,429 times
I believe panic attacks have a purely emotional origin.

Reading these books and practicing what they say to do has helped many many people become free of panic attacks.
Claire Weekes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-09-2010, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I believe panic attacks have a purely emotional origin.

Reading these books and practicing what they say to do has helped many many people become free of panic attacks.
Claire Weekes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

you are wrong and so was Claire
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health