Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2010, 01:56 PM

531 posts, read 2,898,606 times

Advertisements

My wife is a 40 year old female stay at home mom to a 1 year old and a 3 year old. She has suffered from depression for most of her adult life, and is currently taking a combination of Wellbutrin & Zoloft. She's also been prescribed Valium and Xanax. The Valium was prescribed as a daily prescription, to be taken twice per day. The Xanax had been prescribed previously to the Valium and she is no longer taking it. She has also stopped with the Valium.

My question is this--for the last 6 months or so, she has sometimes appeared to be impaired when I would come home. This happens usually at least once per week but sometimes as often as two to three times per week. The only way I can describe it is she appears to be intoxicated--slurred speech, unsteady on her feet, highly emotional. I know the obvious assumption is that she has been drinking but I am confident that is not the case (on a side note, when she did drink she would become highly intoxicated by a small amount of alcohol--2 glasses of wine would have her on the floor. She has since stopped drinking completely).

These conditions have improved but it is still happening. She's had blood work done in the past few months and just had it done again this week. We are waiting for the results.

She's been off the Valium for a couple of weeks now, and I have seen an improvement in her symptoms. But she is still experiencing them from time to time.

Is it possible that the depression is manifesting itself physically? Is there any possbile explanation anyone can think of for these symptoms. She's taking quite a few medications and I'm guessing something is not interacting well.

Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 06:02 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,662,411 times
I know quite a few people on this type of medication (one good friend of mine has battled it for years). I understand taking valium is horrible and not recommended by most pysch doctors. A doctor once told me it stays in your system for quite awhile and won't prescribe it unless you have extreme reasons for it - makes you pretty loopy/tired like you are drunk. Also they don't like to prescribe Xanax because it is pretty short term (6 hrs). A better alternative would be something like Lorazapan - doesn't stay in your system and last 12 hrs. Many antidepressants have a side effect of making you dizzy/unsteady. She might try a different antidepressant. I know a few people that had to try several before they found one that worked with their system, plus the right dosage is important. Not supposed to drink on those medications either and I suspect for the reason you mentioned.

And yes, depression can manifest itself into physical issues. I think it is more like aches and pains though, but I could be wrong.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:41 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Occam's Razor. Buy a breath alcohol analyzer and have her breathe into it. She might slug you, but then you'll know.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:38 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,391,410 times
IMy mom has been on Xanax for the better part of the last 15+ years. A very small dose, but she admits she has an addiction now. She also suffers from depression and while she doesn't slur her words, I do notice some signs that are similar to what you are describing.

#1 she lives in a fantasy world. She makes things up and puts words into people's mouths. I wouldn't call her a liar, but she is definitely an embelisher. I don't think she tries to stir up trouble, but she does by making up the he said/she said stuff without realizing that she is creating a lie. I've been wondering for years if it had something to do with her depression or meds. This type of behavior is similar to that exhibited by some people while they are intoxicated; the drama, the fibs, the exaggerations, the confusion, etc.

#2 she is frequently unsteady on her feet and has to grab onto things to avoid a fall.

I agree with the poster above about having her physician evaluate her medications.

Best of luck.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:17 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,672,422 times
Alcohol is a often used drug for those who are "self medicating", you don't need a prescription nor do you need to see the Doc to get it. I'd be very careful in approaching the user by questioning their choices of those drugs available to the self dispensation. look at the persons eyes, are they focussing or drifting? Many drugs have the same effect as drinking alcohol so it's up to you to determine the cause of her behavior, you can ask but there is always the chance that the other person will interpret that as an accusation, look around the homes nooks and crannies to see if she hasn't stashed some booze, you can never underestimate the depressed persons desire to feel better. I would certainly get her to some ongoing group support counseling, it is the life saver for so many people to be in the company of others who are battling this hideous disease, they need to know that others are desperate to feel better and often succumb to self meds for the much needed relief.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:31 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,605,471 times
I think the meds are off, too. They absolutely can cause effects like that. It happens to many people. If she is better after stopping the Valium, she's probably reacting similarly to another one of the meds. Talk to the doctor about decreasing a bit; symptoms should matter more than blood work.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:34 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeanyer View Post
My wife is a 40 year old female stay at home mom to a 1 year old and a 3 year old. She has suffered from depression for most of her adult life, and is currently taking a combination of Wellbutrin & Zoloft. She's also been prescribed Valium and Xanax.
I don't understand why a doctor would prescribe Xanax for depression. Can your wife join a support group for parents of toddlers? My sister went through a huge depression when she quit her job to stay home with her children and didn't know anyone her age (then 39) who had small children. Re: your thread on the parenting forum about your 3-year-old with repeated tantrums...might your child be reacting to erratic behavior of her mother's?

Old 03-05-2022, 08:19 PM

1 posts, read 999 times
I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I have lived what you are experiencing. Sadly, if they appear drunk they most likely are. I went years trying to figure out what was going on with my wife's medication and in the end it was alcohol use along with lying to protect from the truth. We love our spouses and the one being lied to does most of the heavy lifting in that situation. We want to believe what we are told by the ones we love. I'm sorry you are living this.

Old 03-05-2022, 08:27 PM

1,250 posts, read 677,649 times
OP: What does she say for the reason she seems intoxicated?

And I think she probably IS intoxicated. Thinking it might be due to depression is probably you being in denial. She might be drinking or overdoing the pills. Seems like she's on quite a cocktail of meds.

You have a baby to think of. Can the baby go to daycare or have a relative come in to watch her?

Old 03-12-2022, 06:39 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
This is an old thread !!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health