Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 06:47 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,489,274 times

Advertisements

Hola Amigos,

I'm bored and want to do something interesting so I'm thinking a quick trip to Monterrey. So I have some questions.

First of all, hearing all this about the zetas etc, I assume this is all just media sensationalism. So tell me, will I be strolling through the Macroplaza during the day and El Barrio Antiguo at night or will I be chased down the street by gangs of bloodthirsty narcotraficos?

Second, I'm deciding between the bus or the plane. Anyone have good or bad experiences on various bus lines from Tx to Mx? How are the bus stations in Monterrey and Sabinas Hildago? Some bus stations in the USA are lovely - some are scary. Help? Have any advice about taxis from the airport and or bus station?

Last, I'll have about a day and a half in Monterrey. Suggestions? I'll stay in downtown somewhere near Antiguo or Macro. I am thinking explore Macroplaza, maybe the boat ride or nice parks. Cute neighborhoods? How about a nice dance club to see beautiful Mexicanas? What time do clubs stay open until in Monterrey?

One last question: Anyone know any good forums in Spanish where there is more in depth conversation about Mexico - Monterrey and DF in particular?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 08:22 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,644,596 times
You really seem to undermine the drug war that's taking place in Mexico. It's really not media sensationalism.

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2010/1...mbered-in.html

Borderland Beat

www.blogdelnarco.com

You should see some of the unimaginable gruesome killings taking place. There's also a beheading video out. Its really crazy in Mexico, don't take it lightly. There's even travel effect warnings going on if you're traveling to Mexico.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
You really seem to undermine the drug war that's taking place in Mexico. It's really not media sensationalism.

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2010/1...mbered-in.html

Borderland Beat

www.blogdelnarco.com

You should see some of the unimaginable gruesome killings taking place. There's also a beheading video out. Its really crazy in Mexico, don't take it lightly. There's even travel effect warnings going on if you're traveling to Mexico.
Yeah, I've seen all those. Thanks though, I appreciate the links. I don't think any of that takes place on or anywhere near the Monterrey Macroplaza, right? I'm not going to the badlands of Chihuahua. Are you in Monterrey?

Last edited by xS☺B☺s; 01-16-2011 at 12:58 AM..

Old 01-16-2011, 05:51 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,644,596 times
That didn't occur in Monterrey. More around Acapulco but Monterrey has seen a spike in narco crimes lately. I'm no wear near Monterrey, as a matter of fact, I live states. I know people in Juarez, Chihuahua and Acapulco who have been telling me some horror stories.

If you go, just be really careful. If you can avoid it all together, I would suggest that but if you must go then take extra precaution.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:46 PM

972 posts, read 3,928,310 times
You can stay at Howard Johnson Monterrey is near the Gran Plaza, from there you can visit the riverwalk Santa Lucia take a boat and go to Parque Fundidora, in all that area you can find museums and good restaurants, at night you can walk short distance to Barrio Antiguo to have some fun in some antros like La Iguana, La Tumba and others.

I recommend you to visit the city on weekends, a lot of americans still visit MTY without problems.

If you are in DFW by bus is a long ride, like 12 hours, but is more economic, you dont have nothing to fear.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_inombrable View Post
You can stay at Howard Johnson Monterrey is near the Gran Plaza, from there you can visit the riverwalk Santa Lucia take a boat and go to Parque Fundidora, in all that area you can find museums and good restaurants, at night you can walk short distance to Barrio Antiguo to have some fun in some antros like La Iguana, La Tumba and others.

I recommend you to visit the city on weekends, a lot of americans still visit MTY without problems.

If you are in DFW by bus is a long ride, like 12 hours, but is more economic, you dont have nothing to fear.
Thanks Iom. I may just pop on down there this weekend. Actually the long bus ride sounds kinda appealing to me because then I can see a lot along the way.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:53 AM

254 posts, read 591,345 times
It should be safe to visit touristic things during the day.

I just went to Monterrey for the Christmas holidays and while I felt safe, I also did not go out during the night to clubs. Nightlife has been very affected, in Barrio Antiguo you will still find many clubs open but not that many people as it used to have. It is not completely dead, people still go out, but the long lines that used to form outside the clubs are gone.

The bus station in Monterrey is located in old downtown of Monterrey, not exactly pretty, so if you are planning to take the bus, be sure to arrive early. During the day whole area is very busy and should be safe, avoid getting there in the night... take a taxi from the established taxi providers inside the station.

Taxis from the Airport are very safe, but also more expensive, it will run between 30-40 dll to get downtown.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:54 PM

635 posts, read 1,705,876 times
Monterrey is not safe. I have relatives that ACTUALLY live there and they were the first ones to be on the defense of their city when bad news popped up. But now, they tell me that is actually REAL LIFE situation in Monterrey.

My Uncle tells me that nightlife has completely died down, not many people going out to restaurants at night. So please, be careful if you head to Monterrey. Use common sense and don't attract to much attention to yourself.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:56 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,606,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowsky View Post
It should be safe to visit touristic things during the day.

I just went to Monterrey for the Christmas holidays and while I felt safe, I also did not go out during the night to clubs. Nightlife has been very affected, in Barrio Antiguo you will still find many clubs open but not that many people as it used to have. It is not completely dead, people still go out, but the long lines that used to form outside the clubs are gone.

The bus station in Monterrey is located in old downtown of Monterrey, not exactly pretty, so if you are planning to take the bus, be sure to arrive early. During the day whole area is very busy and should be safe, avoid getting there in the night... take a taxi from the established taxi providers inside the station.

Taxis from the Airport are very safe, but also more expensive, it will run between 30-40 dll to get downtown.

Good to hear that you felt safe. I have not been to Monterrey in 2 1/2 years. I have been there a dozen times or more and have been wanting to go back. It is a beautiful city. Great restaurants and great people. My wife has some relatives that live there. I really love Parque Ecologico Chipinque for the hiking. I just love the whole Monterrey area altogether.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:03 PM

OK, here's a possible problem. If I fly into MTY my flight will get there at midnight. Anything I need to know given the late hour? Any issues with transportation to the city or other problems? Are stores still open in the airport at that hour?

Gracias de antemano!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico