Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 11:34 AM

485 posts, read 2,247,761 times

Advertisements

I am planing to go to Mexico this December. Probably around the 20th or 21st. And I plan to stay there for 2 weeks.

I am originally feron the state of Michoacán. I was there in the summer for roughly 5 weeks and I had nothing happen to me. I am very grateful for that and I hope it is like that as well in December too, but yeah honestly I didn't feel like I was in danger when I was in the plaza or walked in the streets at night. Of course this is a small town, the big cities I heard are supposed to be very dangerous. Actually My entire municipality doesn't feel that dangerous to me (I am from the municipality of Puruándiro). Also nothing happened to me in the stay when I was there. And I was with friends as well as alone. I was only in Jalisco in the Guadalajara airport but we did arrive there when it was getting dark and had some friends and relatives take us to that road that takes us to ocotlan and then to Michoacan when it was around midnight and we got to our town. And the only thing that stopped us were the tolls and that we had to go to the bathroom.

I however really want to go visit not just Michoacan but also Jalisco, particularly the Guadalajara and the Tepatitlan area. I am a Mexican American. Even though I was born in Mexico, I've lived here in the US for most my life. Been living here for over 20 years. This was since I was 2, and really I will not know how certain things work in Mexico and because of this I feel like I may be vulnerable in a big city. I feel I may be vulnerable to people ripping me off or stealing anything of value. Or worse. Is Jalisco also very dangerous if you are a Chicano or a michoacano?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 12:40 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,588,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
I feel I may be vulnerable to people ripping me off or stealing anything of value. Or worse. Is Jalisco also very dangerous if you are a Chicano or a michoacano?
I wouldn't feel any more worried than if I was going to Philadelphia. Guadalajara is a big place, and of course it has some serious crime and cartels, but it is not any more violent in general than many large American cities. I never had any trouble, and my Spanish is awful. Puruándiro, is about 40 miles far from Pátzcuaro, which is a charming resort town. It's kind of a Mexican Lake Tahoe.

I would recommend going to Guanajato instead of Tepatitlán. It's a beautiful city and should be fantastic around Christmas.

Guadalajara can be a little rough downtown, where at night most of the clubs are gay bars. I'm not saying not to go there, but be careful. But if you head towards the little more upscale nightlife near Minerva circle to the West you won't have any problems at all.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:34 PM

Oh ok. Well yeah my main reasons to go to Mexico were really to get to know some places.... And get a girlfriend... Hehe possibly find my soulmate

Old 08-18-2013, 03:49 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,939,081 times
Only thing about a Gay Bar is the chance you take in getting HIT upon.

My first visit to a Gay Bar was in Mexico City along with friends that needed to see a person.

First inclination was at the front door/staircase to the 2nd floor level seeing a flamboyant male kissing the cheek on meeting....shrugged it off since many people do that....mostly female to other females or males on introduction etc.

Sitting at a table heard the music play and people started dancing.....but wait there were NO girls....just men that got me to look around the room.......all MALES.

My first experience with a Gay Bar and to add insult to injury.....NO one asked me to dance.

(tongue in cheek)

Old 08-18-2013, 04:22 PM

Oh wow. Yeah, I'm straight dude... Wondering where I could meet some girls... Girls that are single, not married, kinda around 17 and up... Maybe 16 and up...I wonder if girls like that exist since most after the age of 14 or 16 they get married and have kids or something

Old 08-18-2013, 06:51 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,939,081 times
Girls 17 and under will always be with another girl or two and when going out will have a Male as a chaperone....generally a boyfriend of one of the girls.....never in most cases by themselves.

18 and older.....another matter. At a gathering at a house had a 18 and 20 yr old on each arm when leaving.

You will need to have a Mexican friend in order to meet women and speaking a little Spanish will help greatly or the girl will need to understand some English....works both ways.

I was a older dude and still had girls smile when walking past as it was obvious I was an American.

Just bumping into some girl.....not going to happen unless your at a Disco type of Bar or Club and ask a girl to dance with the Male chaperones permission (might be her boyfriend)( they do object so BEWARE)

Old 08-18-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Girls 17 and under will always be with another girl or two and when going out will have a Male as a chaperone....generally a boyfriend of one of the girls.....never in most cases by themselves.

18 and older.....another matter. At a gathering at a house had a 18 and 20 yr old on each arm when leaving.

You will need to have a Mexican friend in order to meet women and speaking a little Spanish will help greatly or the girl will need to understand some English....works both ways.

I was a older dude and still had girls smile when walking past as it was obvious I was an American.

Just bumping into some girl.....not going to happen unless your at a Disco type of Bar or Club and ask a girl to dance with the Male chaperones permission (might be her boyfriend)( they do object so BEWARE)
First of all, lol, I do know Spanish. Spanish is my first language. Also, yeah I had a feeling like I would have a better chance by getting to know someone through a friend, club, disco, or some organization of some type...Mexican women, by what you tell me sound just like the women in the US. I don't see any difference, in that case I guess I should go for women here.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:50 PM

I am 22 going on 23, I am a good looking guy (well from what other girls tell me). I am kinda shy and introverted but I wish to get rid of it. Become more outgoing and be more flirty, also know how to dance good and stuff like that...

Old 08-19-2013, 08:09 AM

836 posts, read 2,949,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
Oh wow. Yeah, I'm straight dude... Wondering where I could meet some girls... Girls that are single, not married, kinda around 17 and up... Maybe 16 and up...I wonder if girls like that exist since most after the age of 14 or 16 they get married and have kids or something
Why underage girls? That's a felony you know, only if you're underage too can be married with them.

There's a lot of legal age women that you can meet. No need to break the law.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:59 PM

But well in my pueblito or ranchito it's so hard to find girls overage of 18. I already said it. Also this is why I am looking for girls in a big city. I will be going with some friends who live in the DF and Michoacán. Some of these guys have family in Jalisco. However if you can recommend me Guanajuato instead, I will go I also have family there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico