Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,675 times

Advertisements

I am a 19 year old male and am considering a move to Mexico. Here is what is most is most important to me in order:

1. Friendly, open minded people
2. Beautiful scenery
3. Fresh produce markets
4. Low cost of living
5. Preferably a coastal town or at least within proximity of either coast

Anyone have any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 01:50 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,340,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1life2live View Post
I am a 19 year old male and am considering a move to Mexico. Here is what is most is most important to me in order:

2. Beautiful scenery
3. Fresh produce markets
4. Low cost of living

Have you read some of the other posts about young people wanting to move to Mexico? Can you qualify for an FM3 so you can live legally in Mexico? People cannot just enter Mexico and legally live here.

Everything you want is in all of Mexico except for number 5 but for it, look on a map and find a spot.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:31 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,923,139 times
Talking Live in Mexico

No problems within the FREE zone.

Bought a lot...built a house overlooking the beach south of Rosarito,,,been here 15 yrs and NO FM2/3. Am retired so don't need the work permit...besides the pay is peanuts ( I mean Pesos) compared to US wages.

There are a lot of Americans living in TJ and Rosarito that work in San Diego area and commute every day to work. Check out the 500 cars (estimate) in 25 lanes at 4 AM and you will understand what I mean.

OP needs to talk with an American that knows what is going on within the close boundaries of the border. and not from anyone who lives in the interior. I lived in Mexico City for three yrs as a tourist. Can be done.

Steve

Old 07-16-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
OP needs to talk with an American that knows what is going on within the close boundaries of the border. and not from anyone who lives in the interior. I lived in Mexico City for three yrs as a tourist. Can be done.

Steve
Or, he can post questions here and get replies from different sources from people WHO know what is going on. I guess if he wants to personally talk to someone he can, but on this site we write, not talk.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:07 AM

836 posts, read 2,947,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1life2live View Post

2. Beautiful scenery
3. Fresh produce markets
4. Low cost of living

Coast cities of Oaxaca is the place for you.

Try on internet this: Mazunte, Zipolite, Puerto Escondido.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:51 PM

360 posts, read 1,087,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axixic2 View Post
Have you read some of the other posts about young people wanting to move to Mexico? Can you qualify for an FM3 so you can live legally in Mexico? People cannot just enter Mexico and legally live here.

Everything you want is in all of Mexico except for number 5 but for it, look on a map and find a spot.
He can live for 6 months at a time on a tourist card. Then run to the border for a new tourist card.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:23 PM

155 posts, read 360,521 times
Puerto Escondido. Oaxaca.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantexan View Post
He can live for 6 months at a time on a tourist card. Then run to the border for a new tourist card.
Depending where he lives in Mexico, going to the border every 6 months can be very expensive.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:57 AM

360 posts, read 1,087,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axixic2 View Post
Depending where he lives in Mexico, going to the border every 6 months can be very expensive.
The Oaxacan coast meets his criteria and if he doesn't have a car he can easily bus to the Guatemalan border to get a new tourist card. And if he wants to he can import his car into Guat and not be required to have insurance there, only pay an annual tag fee. Then he'd only have to have Mexican insurance in Mexico, as opposed to maintaining his American insurance and having Mexican insurance. Not an issue if he qualifies for FM3 of course but a good strategy on tourist card. And importing to Guat should only be done with an older car, expensive for a newer high value car.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantexan View Post
The Oaxacan coast meets his criteria and if he doesn't have a car he can easily bus to the Guatemalan border to get a new tourist card. And if he wants to he can import his car into Guat and not be required to have insurance there, only pay an annual tag fee. Then he'd only have to have Mexican insurance in Mexico, as opposed to maintaining his American insurance and having Mexican insurance. Not an issue if he qualifies for FM3 of course but a good strategy on tourist card. And importing to Guat should only be done with an older car, expensive for a newer high value car.
I live in Mexico but I am unfamiliar with "Guat."

If a person has an FM3, his car is legal in Mexico as long as his FM3 is up to date. I don't know what you are describing by importing a car. Are you describing nationalizing a car? Why would a foreigner need to nationalize his car? He can bring his car in now with a tourist visa and posting a refundable $400-200 USD bond. When he returns to the border, he gets the bond back. If he stays in Mexico, getting an FM3, he kisses the bond goodbye.

Anyone driving in Mexico without liability insurance is suicidal. Vehicular accidents are criminal and civil in Mexico. If a person is not insured, he will rot in jail or until he somehow pays all damages. With insurance, the company sends a lawyer out who bonds the driver out of jail. Still some people with insurance are in jail for a few days. People learn quickly not to have accidents and never drive after a drink. Insurance does not pay anything if the driver has been drinking. American insurance does not cover a vehicle in Mexico. One MUST have Mexican insurance coverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico