Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 08:44 PM

543 posts, read 3,078,000 times

Advertisements

I would like to explore the possibility of buying a few acres of land in Mexico to live a self sufficient life on a type fruitarian diet (I'm thinking tropical fruits only). I would like to buy some in the southern area, for example close to Honduras.

Does anyone know a good site where I could see the prices for lands?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 08:34 AM

972 posts, read 3,925,664 times
Mmm. Honduras doesn't have border with Mexico, it will be Guatemala.

South States are Chiapas, Tabasco, Campeche, Yucatan and Quintana Roo.

I really don't know but i guess the land es cheaper in Chiapas than other states, and your project is feasible.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:53 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,341,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansoku View Post
I would like to explore the possibility of buying a few acres of land in Mexico to live a self sufficient life on a type fruitarian diet (I'm thinking tropical fruits only). I would like to buy some in the southern area, for example close to Honduras.

Does anyone know a good site where I could see the prices for lands?
This is one site I found using Google:

Chiapas Lots For Sale, Mexico - InmoMexico

To live full time in Mexico, you know you need to prove you have sufficient income. The amount is half if you own property.

The only way to get a good price on land is to go there and look around. Real Estate agents will try to get the highest price they can. Also be very careful that the land is free and clear.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:28 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I think you would find the necessary work to be laborious, and it would be affordable to hire workers. In fact, you might be resented in the community, if you did the work yourself, rather than create jobs for people.

A few times I have made inquiries about the value of land in third world countries, and I was amazed to discover that the per-acre values of undeveloped land are not far off what they are in the USA.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:43 PM

Correct as usual jtur88.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I think you would find the necessary work to be laborious, and it would be affordable to hire workers. In fact, you might be resented in the community, if you did the work yourself, rather than create jobs for people.

A few times I have made inquiries about the value of land in third world countries, and I was amazed to discover that the per-acre values of undeveloped land are not far off what they are in the USA.
Why are they not far off from US prices?

Old 05-26-2011, 08:09 PM

Here are some listings of land for sale in Chiapas, one of the poorest but most beautiful states in Mexico:

Venta Terrenos Chiapas - Venta Lotes

Today $10,000 MXP (pesos) is $857 USD.

Like anything for sale the price is negotiable. In Mexico the problem can be getting a clear title and one might not know it's not clear for decades.

Any foreigner moving to that area and trying to run a farm by himself is asking for trouble. The locals will be very resentful. One can probably hire farm help in Chiapas for less than $2 an hour.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:12 AM

972 posts, read 3,925,664 times
why he should hire workers if he is going to produce for himself? i don't see any problem with this.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:34 PM

What are the advantages and disadvantages of trying to live self-sufficient life in Mexico and elsewhere like Ecuador, etc.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:32 PM

758 posts, read 2,241,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

This is a topic I like... I myself am in agriculture.

In Mexico... you must take into account two things: low wages, and low security. You will be offered labor for ridiculously low wages but those come at a price. If your people can barely afford to live on the wages you pay them... your security is at risk, as they know your daily routine and can colllude with other townies to make sure that one way or another you share the wealth.

Then you will have to take into account that corruption is most ridiculous in all levels of mexican society, but sadly, even more so in agriculture. There are 'agriculture ministries' that you must go through, and each require a certain 'mordida' (mexican word for bribe, literally means 'a nibble' )

Agriculture does exist in Mexico... but they are established commercial farms. For independent farmers, life can be very tough.

Furthermore, if you're looking for tropical land in Chiapas or Oaxaca, though gorgeous places. political instability is part of life in both those states
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico