Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2012, 09:19 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,061,361 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know, when Mexicans travel south, rather than North, if there's any favorite spots in Central America they like to travel to? Or any exapt destinations to retire in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 11:17 PM

57 posts, read 197,711 times
Some of my wifes family has mentioned to us that we should take a vacation with them to Panama and Colombia soon. They have been to Cuba, which they really didn't care for that much.

When they were in university, four of my concunyos (brother in laws) took an epic road trip from Guadalajara to Yucatan, into Belize, then Guatemala and back into Mexico thru Chiapis.

Farther south, I have nieces who are studying in Buenos Aires, Argentina, and when time allows, they have visited Uruguay, San Carlos de Bariloche and Ushuia.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:32 AM

836 posts, read 2,949,043 times
I guess for proximity Guatemala and Antigua are the most visited towns visited by mexicans in central america.

Also San Jose in Costa Rica is a well know destination for business and holidays for mexicans.

I have view promotions in the newspaper of San Andres Islands, those are Colombia Islands, but are in front of Nicaragua in the caribean.

Some would go to Nicaragua, that have beautiful towns, landscapes and beaches, for example Rama and Corn Island.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:13 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,497,657 times
Firstly, there may be a statistical calculation/report detailing outbound destinations when Mexican fly, but I doubt it. Secondly, a relatively small, very small percentage of Mexicans travel outside the country. Thirdly, of those that do the preferred destination is the USA, probably followed by Europe. Fourthly, I suspect a very small percentage of those traveling (vacations) have an interest in the Central American nations. South America, Brazil and Argentina, probably trump Central America as places of interest.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:00 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
I don't know about mexicans, but I strongly recommend the entire Mayan trail: Chiapas (Palenque, then take a jungle plane to Bonampak. Also, near Palenque, there's a river with natural limestone swimming holes that's wonderful), Yucatan, Belize if time allows, Guatemala (Tikal, one of the major archaeological sites, then Lake Atitlan in the highlands for spectacular scenery and swimming). If time allows, you can take a bus or drive across the border to Honduras, the main Mayan site there, Copan. Honduras used to be wonderful, especially the Bay Islands (GREAT snorkeling), but since the Contra war, it's been destroyed as a tourist destination, other than that main Mayan site. If you get tired of climbing up and down pyramids, you can swim and snorkel anywhere along the Yucatan coast.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:35 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,131,251 times
Many of my friends from Tabasco state have been to the neighboring country of Guatemala and to Belize. I'm guessing they just were in the border towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico