Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2008, 01:47 PM

271 posts, read 810,284 times

Advertisements

Hopefully someone can educate me on several issues.
1. Can a gentleman live comfortably in Mazatlan or a similar type place on
2000 dollars a month? Rental home,food,utilities,dining out occasionally.
2. Is it reasonably safe to live outside the touristy areas?
3. Do the drug wars and kidnappings that go on now in Mexico affect the
everyday lives of the average person?
4. Can I walk into a bar and enjoy a beer without feeling like an outsider?
5. I know a lot of people from around the world have moved to Mexico so
does it feel more international or does everyone become like a native?
In areas of the US different ethnic groups sometimes create their own
communities and tend to stay together. Is this also common in Mexico?
6. Do Mexicans have patience with people who struggle with Spanish?
7. Does anyone have an idea how successful most are who attempt to
retire happily in Mexico?

Thanks in advance for any input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 02:34 PM

972 posts, read 3,926,773 times
Hopefully someone can educate me on several issues.
1. Can a gentleman live comfortably in Mazatlan or a similar type place on
2000 dollars a month? Rental home,food,utilities,dining out occasionally. Yes...no with luxuries but a fine good life...
2. Is it reasonably safe to live outside the touristy areas?
Yes, but better if you live in downtown for example is in the touristy area and safe.
3. Do the drug wars and kidnappings that go on now in Mexico affect the
everyday lives of the average person?
That depends of the moment, right now in Sinaloa, some towns live with fear for the drug war, but it seems Mazatlan is doing ok.
4. Can I walk into a bar and enjoy a beer without feeling like an outsider?
You will be an outsider always in MX, but you can pass as tourist.
5. I know a lot of people from around the world have moved to Mexico so
does it feel more international or does everyone become like a native?
No, is a tourist town and you and your attitudes can be the same, the town doesnt change the people.
In areas of the US different ethnic groups sometimes create their own
communities and tend to stay together. Is this also common in Mexico?
Yes, but is how you feel, you can live only with americans, or mix with the mexican population, is your choice...
6. Do Mexicans have patience with people who struggle with Spanish?
Yes.
7. Does anyone have an idea how successful most are who attempt to
retire happily in Mexico?
No idea...

Thanks in advance for any input

Old 11-14-2008, 03:42 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,939,081 times
El..Inombrable is probably Spanish/Mexican so he/she cannot answer all your questions with an American perspective. I'm an American with 3 yrs in Mexico City...12 yrs plus in Baja. Have been all over Mexico and Mazatlan many times.
#1 Absolute YES.
#2 I would say YES as long as you are not snooty and look down on people...learn some Spanish.
#3 Drug people are mainly after those who are in the dealing stages etc.
#4 You can enter any beer bar (cantina in Mexico) with only a glance as long as your just having a bottle of beer and not being obnoxious.
#5 Here in Baja, there are areas where Americans live for different reasons...some like the water front on a lease situation or as with me (built own home on hillside 1/3 mile above overlooking the water)...neighbors are all Mexicans...no problems. You can rent a home away from the waterfront a lot cheaper while living in the locals area but still have a short distance to the beach if desired.
#6 YES.
#7 Where I'm at, there are many Americans. Lot of Military Veterans...some married and some widowed/divorced. Being just south of Rosarito gives me close access to the VA hospital north of San Diego for my medical needs. It is possible for you to stay in Mexico under a tourist visa (90 day or 180 day) which means you would have to renew after each time period. The other way is to be a LEGAL resident with a FM3 permit which requires some paperwork etc. As for me, I do not have the FM3 but have my home as a retirement/vacation home and as a result leave Mexico 2-3 times a month...for medical or groceries etc. Being close to the border has its advantages. Further inland for you would be a different story. Consider the options and choose what would is best for you and your needs. Stefhen

Old 11-14-2008, 06:16 PM

271 posts, read 810,284 times
Thank you both for the info.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:48 AM

1 posts, read 3,948 times
hi. did u ever moved? how hard was it? i am looking to retire to mexico....thanks. elly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico