Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 09:35 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
Mexico has a diverse population with a significant number of all kinds of different European nationalities sprinkled in. There's a lot of Russians and eastern block Europeans in DF right now. I asked a girl from Moscow why she chooses to live in DF rather than MOS and she said "anything is better than Moscow.

Of course there is a large group from Spain. There is a Chinatown in DF and certainly other cities. Cuernavaca has a big German population. There is not a very large African population however because the African slave trade didn't happen in Mx.

Of course the largest population group in Mexico is the native and mixed (Mestico). The obvious reason is because millions of people lived in MesoAmerica in many big cities all over Mesoamerica before Cortez arrived. All over Mexico, millions of those same native MesoAmericans still speak their native languages like Nahuatl as if nothing ever changed.

It's a diverse and interesting place. A very light skin northern European type is a rather smaller portion in southern Mexico where the descendents of millions of Aztecs and Maya reside, but further north like in Monterrey, the whiter European population is more prominent.

DF:

Monterrey:
mexico looks great!i regret not going when i had the chance

Old 08-09-2012, 09:47 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There has been so much mixing, it's not so cut and dried. The percentage for "mestizos" (mixed-blood) is missing from your equation here.
If you have 1/8 black ancestry, you can be considered black. That being said, I think mestizos do not qualify as whites.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:20 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
If you have 1/8 black ancestry, you can be considered black. That being said, I think mestizos do not qualify as whites.
With black ancestry, they're mulattos. The point was that the statistics the OP gave leave out a huge swath of the population. Mestizos are way more than just 15% of the population. There's got to be more thorough census info on the internet somewhere. But even that wouldn't be reliable, as some of the Native people might not identify as such.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:
With black ancestry, they're mulattos. The point was that the statistics the OP gave leave out a huge swath of the population. Mestizos are way more than just 15% of the population. There's got to be more thorough census info on the internet somewhere. But even that wouldn't be reliable, as some of the Native people might not identify as such.
Mexico has always been OFF my radar screen, and increasingly more so with the bad press. I initially thought I'd like to see Cancun/Cozumel and the Acapulco area.

Now, I'd gladly park my ass for another 10 hours on an economy seat and go to Argentina, where I feel very at ease and everything about it "fits like a glove."

Old 08-10-2012, 12:22 PM

2 posts, read 3,967 times
A bit of everything

Old 08-10-2012, 12:37 PM

305 posts, read 750,379 times
Again, it depends on what you mean by "Mexican". Mexicans come in all colors and races just like they do in the U.S. or any other country. There are more indigenous people compared to the U.S. because mass genocide didn't take place in Mexico.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:07 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Mexico has always been OFF my radar screen, and increasingly more so with the bad press. I initially thought I'd like to see Cancun/Cozumel and the Acapulco area.

Now, I'd gladly park my ass for another 10 hours on an economy seat and go to Argentina, where I feel very at ease and everything about it "fits like a glove."
The Yucatan Peninsula is still good for tourism, AFAIK. If you've heard something different, please post. I'm told the best towns are the predominantly Mayan ones. There's no hustle, tourists aren't harassed, the ambience is quiet and courteous, a completely different experience from other parts of the Yucatan.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
The Yucatan Peninsula is still good for tourism, AFAIK. If you've heard something different, please post. I'm told the best towns are the predominantly Mayan ones. There's no hustle, tourists aren't harassed, the ambience is quiet and courteous, a completely different experience from other parts of the Yucatan.
If you've ever feasted on those South American steaks (from Argentina's pampas) and had a palmitos (heart of palm) salad in the Southern Cone, the flight is worth it! I've been to Panama, and other than the engineering marvel that is the Canal, I wasn't impressed.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:32 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3dw View Post
There are more indigenous people compared to the U.S. because mass genocide didn't take place in Mexico.
That implies that The United States committed "mass genocide" against the Indians which it obviously didn't, just visit Wisconsin.

In any event in Chicago working class whites pretty much accept Mexicans as their equals and as social whites as is evidenced by the many Irish, Italians and Poles here married to Mexicans. I don't think bourgeois people here are as accepting of Mexicans though.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:26 PM

839 posts, read 3,074,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
That implies that The United States committed "mass genocide" against the Indians which it obviously didn't, just visit Wisconsin.

In any event in Chicago working class whites pretty much accept Mexicans as their equals and as social whites as is evidenced by the many Irish, Italians and Poles here married to Mexicans. I don't think bourgeois people here are as accepting of Mexicans though.
Which just goes to show that the term "white" has more to do with social class than actual race or color.
And I'm surprised that nobody brought up the question: What exactly is "white"?

I tend to think that the definition of a "white person" is one of the most variable definitions. It changes from country to country, from group to group, and even from individual to individual. Sure, it revolves 'more or less' around the concept of color or race, but much less than you imagine.

Is Gloria Estefan white? Is Antonio Banderas white?

Not that I'm very worried about that (in fact, I don't consider the "whiteness" of a person too relevant), but if we're discussing this, I think we should first set a definition of white. Just saying, anyway.

Cheers,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.