U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 03:42 PM

836 posts, read 2,764,623 times

Advertisements

What you think about the wealthiest parts of mexican cities?

- Are on par with American communities?
- Bother you?
- Know someone in these areas?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 10:05 PM

4,621 posts, read 9,603,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexguy View Post

- Bother you?

I saw Polanco on the Turibus. It's nice. It is a lot like the finer parts of Boston or NY. It's a lot like the area around Central Park or Back Bay in BOS. OF course Polanco is too big to fully explore or understand on a one week visit to DF. And when I go back (soon) I probably won't spend much time there because frankly the uber-rich are kinda boring. There's too much other things to see in DF than fancy cars and Burberry stores. The wealth inside the Museo Anthropologia to me is worth a million times more than all of Gucci and Tiffany's trinkets combined.

I expect I'll like Coyoacan better.

I very much enjoyed my stroll through Centro in Monterrey as well. Much more down to earth of course, but very human.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:38 PM

1,277 posts, read 1,739,535 times
I, too, have familiarity with the Polanco area of DF. I taught English there for six months at a large international company. It reminded me (a little) of weathier areas of some American cities (LA for one). Because I lived in a much more typical (working class) Mexico City neighborhood, when I arrived to Polanco each day on the subway, I felt like I was in a different country--honestly! Aside from the newer buildings and fancy shops and restaurants, a few stark differences from the neighborhood where I lived included: No graffiti, closed sewer system, no trash in the streets, way more "white" people (very light-skinned Mexicans), park areas were clean and enforced dog leash (and poop) rules, European-style bakeries and coffee shops, and very few street vendors (there were some--mostly by the subway entrances). It was nice to visit Polanco a few times per week---but I also really liked the liveliness and character of my barrio.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,910 times
Also Ajijic, Jalisco, México is a wealthy town with foreign population and even the menu at the restaurants is in english...some magazines are in english not spanish....

Old 11-30-2012, 02:11 PM

6,477 posts, read 6,816,152 times
My only visit to Mexico was to Cabo San Lucas. I was impressed, as you can imagine.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:01 PM

47,528 posts, read 65,187,428 times
Quote:

- Bother you?
Far more opulent and pretentious than most American communities.
Yes -- since I know most of that extreme wealth is corrupt wealth, not earned through hard work. (This is probably not necessarily as true in Mexico City as in Juarez or Monterrey)
Yes.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:54 AM

249 posts, read 233,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basarav View Post
Also Ajijic, Jalisco, México is a wealthy town with foreign population and even the menu at the restaurants is in english...some magazines are in english not spanish....
Yes, there is a big expat community, but wealthy, I don't think so.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:24 PM

8,106 posts, read 7,168,149 times
Quote:

- Bother you?
Yes, the can be on par, or higher, than American communities.

Yes, they can bother me at times.

Yes, I married someone from those areas.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:52 PM

305 posts, read 706,204 times
Polanco definitely has some wealthy aspects, but also quite a few businesses. For example when traveling in Polanco on my way to work I pass by the Ferrari, Maserati and Bentley dealerships

Old 12-05-2012, 07:27 PM

8,106 posts, read 7,168,149 times
Do you think Polanco is more, less or the same in wealth as Santa Fe? D.F. is so large that I often think it's all one area... like is Lomas Verdes a neighborhood in Polanco, or is it separate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico