Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 10:08 AM

836 posts, read 2,953,027 times

Advertisements

Why are you so upset? Obviously because you want to live in Mexico.

If you do not like the new rules or do not fit in them, the healthy option is pack up and go to another country or return to USA.

Pass from defender of Mexico to their greatest enemy is very silly IMHO; Mexico does not need you, really...

Last edited by mexguy; 11-29-2012 at 10:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 05:56 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,347,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexguy View Post
Why are you so upset? Obviously because you want to live in Mexico.

If you do not like the new rules or do not fit in them, the healthy option is pack up and go to another country or return to USA.

Pass from defender of Mexico to their greatest enemy is very silly IMHO; Mexico does not need you, really...
The rules affect thousands of people and that includes Mexicans.

If over 100,000 foreigners leave and more than that cannot move to Mexico, that is billions of dollars out of the Mexican economy. The Mexicans who live and work at Lake Chapala are very worried. The foreigners pay them more, hundreds of businesses are supported by foreigners, and all are worried about what will happen to them.

Sorry, but I seldom (never) discuss anything that only concerns me. If Mexico is foolish enough to shoot itself in the foot because it doesn't need us, I guess that explains a lot.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:47 AM

26,037 posts, read 19,022,463 times
Interesting discussion here. I've been thinking about leaving the US for quite some time now. I'm not particularly rich. Since I know Spanish pretty well and like the language/culture, I've been thinking about a Spanish-speaking country. I also have a college degree in English, so that could be a plus for employment in a Spanish speaking country. I guess I can write Mexico off the list. It was low on my list anyway. My favorite, at this point, is Uruguay. The income requirements are WAY lower.

More generally, could it be that Mexico sees what is happening in the US and doesn't want a "flood" of potential new residents as the economy/society in the US gets worse and worse and more and more people look elsewhere for a better life? I don't know the answer, but it seems reasonable to me as I watch what's happening in the US politically, economically, and socially.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:39 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,230,484 times
Actualy anyone who lives in america that is not mexican is a immigrant. Mexicans and native americans are the real americans.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Actualy anyone who lives in america that is not mexican is a immigrant. Mexicans and native americans are the real americans.
Technically no, unless they are of 100% Native American blood. And Mexicans are typically mixed with Spanish blood, therefore are also immigrants.

Even going by your logic, what about Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvidor, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Belize, Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Uruguay, Venezuela, and French Guiana. They are not Mexican. Therefore, they are not American? Your logic eludes me.

By the way, "america" refers to the entirety of the land mass between the north-most point in Canada to the south-most tip of Chile and Argentina. Or were you referring to the United States of America? (which is only one country of many in America)

Old 12-09-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Interesting discussion here. I've been thinking about leaving the US for quite some time now. I'm not particularly rich. Since I know Spanish pretty well and like the language/culture, I've been thinking about a Spanish-speaking country. I also have a college degree in English, so that could be a plus for employment in a Spanish speaking country. I guess I can write Mexico off the list. It was low on my list anyway. My favorite, at this point, is Uruguay. The income requirements are WAY lower.

More generally, could it be that Mexico sees what is happening in the US and doesn't want a "flood" of potential new residents as the economy/society in the US gets worse and worse and more and more people look elsewhere for a better life? I don't know the answer, but it seems reasonable to me as I watch what's happening in the US politically, economically, and socially.
There is no logical reason for the new immigration rules to ask for 13 times the average Mexican wage in income requirements. In Mexico foreigners can't really get any services like in the U.S. We are not and have never been a burden on Mexico. If you don't pay a hospital bill here you go to jail until it is paid. Nothing like in the U.S.

I've read that Uruguay is an excellent country as well as Chile. I know of several people who have moved to Ecuador and the Ecuadorians love the foreigners.

It looks like you are taking your time and considering several countries. I am beginning to wish I had done that.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axixic2 View Post
There is no logical reason for the new immigration rules to ask for 13 times the average Mexican wage in income requirements. In Mexico foreigners can't really get any services like in the U.S. We are not and have never been a burden on Mexico. If you don't pay a hospital bill here you go to jail until it is paid. Nothing like in the U.S.
Oh, I agree. It's always been annoying to me that the border between the US and Mexico seems to be a "one-way door" (it's quite open for Mexicans to come to the US, but not so much the other way around). Now, it sounds like it's getting even worse.

Quote:
I've read that Uruguay is an excellent country as well as Chile. I know of several people who have moved to Ecuador and the Ecuadorians love the foreigners.
Yes. Chile is also high on my list, but requires a bit more financially than Uruguay. I lived in Peru (Lima area) for a short time (I was married to a Peruvian woman). That's another idea. It's a pretty place, near the ocean and has a temperate climate. It was a little "iffy" for foreigners at the time, but maybe they've gotten their politics straightened out by now.

Quote:
It looks like you are taking your time and considering several countries. I am beginning to wish I had done that.
I have read extensively and asked questions to natives of Chile, Uruguay, Argentina, and to a lesser extent, Ecuador, Panama, and Peru. As I said, I have also thought about Mexico (it's nice that it is so close to the US), but it sounds like that's off the table if this new financial requirement holds... unless I win a lottery or something.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:17 AM

30 posts, read 137,502 times
We're still thinking about Mexico as first choice, mostly because it's so nearby and we can drive back and forth. Have people been leaving in significant numbers? If real estate prices have fallen, they must have been very high before.

I heard that the rules were relaxed this year. Can someone explain what they are now? Also, do income requirements allow for a combined total, say 2/3 for one person and 1/3 for the other, or must each have their own 1/2 of the total? What if they're an unmarried couple?

Old 08-19-2013, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klutzy View Post
We're still thinking about Mexico as first choice, mostly because it's so nearby and we can drive back and forth. Have people been leaving in significant numbers? If real estate prices have fallen, they must have been very high before.

I heard that the rules were relaxed this year. Can someone explain what they are now? Also, do income requirements allow for a combined total, say 2/3 for one person and 1/3 for the other, or must each have their own 1/2 of the total? What if they're an unmarried couple?
The new Immigration Rules, not the law, have made it very difficult for people to move to Mexico. For a Temperado, a temporary visa that needs to be renewed each year, it takes in USD proving almost $2000 USD a month in pension or Social Security income. The rules do not give a break for married couples like the old rules did. What one facilitator is telling people to do is one person gets approved by the consulate and when the couple gets here the other person is brought in under a family rule without financials. I don't know how it works but I can out you in touch with that person. We are still hoping that the fools in Immigration who wrote the new rules will all be fired.

It is estimated by one local official that at least 1500 foreigners have moved from the Lake Chapala area because of the new rules and very few people are moving here to replace them. It makes it impossible to sell one's house if new buyers are not coming. These immigration rules have hurt Mexicans the most because without us foreigners Mexicans lose good paying jobs, restaurants close and businesses supported by foreigners can't make it.

I never thought house prices here at Lake Chapala were reasonable or inexpensive. The prices are dropping if a house wants to be sold. People buy because property taxes are so low. An example in Dollars is every $100,000 is taxed at about $100. A whole lot less than in the U.S.

Utilities are cheaper, that is we use less electric because we rarely need air-conditioning or heat, but the kWh is higher than in the U.S. Many property owners have installed solar and pay about $4 USD every two months for electric.

Almost everyone I've spoken to here regrets moving to Mexico because of the rule changes. They think if Mexico did this with the rules last year then what will happen in the future.

If you move here, I would look long and hard at buying property or investing in Mexico. Mexico was easily getting over $20 billion USD a year from us resident foreigners and Mexico kicked us in the bu**. We made the mistake of thinking Mexico was run by adults and we were wrong.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:25 PM

10 posts, read 6,262 times
Red face 2017 Re-Fresh :-)

I know this is an old thread but figured I'd reply anyway.

I'd be interested to know the take from some people on this since it's been 3-4 years now since regs went in place in 2012.

My personal take is much of this thread was typical American exaggeration.

First $2000 per month is $24,000 per year and is not much money in the US but plenty in almost all of Mexico to survive. You'd be hard pressed to find places that people actually want to live in California or Florida for that amount yearly. So the ascertation that people with that amount would go elsewhere is mmmm flawed.

The point is to only take in people who can greatly contribute to the society, vs those whom may come legally then try to qualify for Mexican programs. The point isn't even really to stop illegal immigration, as none of these regulations for residente temporal or residente permanente would actually stop those. The rules aimed at preventing illegal immigration are the mandatory passport/passport card requirement which realistically is aimed at keeping poor illegals out. At land borders like San Ysidro and Otay Mesa vehicles are not being checked or asked for passports only those on foot. So basically again they're like if you have money and illegal we'll turn our head, we just don't want legal people using our social system or illegals with no money to support our infrastructure.

Maybe I'm a bit less worried because I'm still working age and my income is double their requirements even though it's a modest income.

And to the person that said we are not guests......yeah we kind of are. Until you have citizenship you're a guest in any country you visit. That's the reason why those on residency in countries can be asked to leave, because just like a guest you are there based on the goodwill of that individual/country/organization etc and if you don't follow the rules they have for their guests you can be asked to leave. And by the way the US enforces that mindset on LPR's much more than virtually any other country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico