Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 10:25 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,663,647 times

Advertisements

Apples and oranges??? How do you define middle class? Is it having exactly the same set of residential standards as we do here? By that token, people all over Europe would not be considered "middle-class" as they live in townhouses and condos and not SFH either. Different rules for different areas.

I define middle class as 1) being in the middle... not a whole family living in a 1 room dwelling, worried about food, and unable to afford basic forms of entertainment OR having the means to travel extensively and entertain more frivolous desires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 03:04 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Those homes are very likely built by the government and what they "charge" for them depends on one's wages. So in theory they are always going to be affordable. They are decent enough for those who live in them, but they aren't in most cases comparable to what most Americans live in as they tend to have very small rooms and a kitchen only a Manhattan dweller could relate to.
The ones I visited in Puerto Vallarta do not have an indoor kitchen at all. There is a small back open area, and the family does their cooking outdoors, usually with a corrugated roof above it for protection from the weather.

I've been going to San Blas, Nayarit, for quite a few years, I think maybe 7 or 8, and I do not see any conspicuous middle-class development there. Almost no new housing popping up.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:52 PM

836 posts, read 2,947,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The ones I visited in Puerto Vallarta do not have an indoor kitchen at all. There is a small back open area, and the family does their cooking outdoors, usually with a corrugated roof above it for protection from the weather.

I've been going to San Blas, Nayarit, for quite a few years, I think maybe 7 or 8, and I do not see any conspicuous middle-class development there. Almost no new housing popping up.
So your own experience applies to all Mexico?

http://www.wilsoncenter.org/publicat...eloped-not-yet

Old 12-20-2012, 02:20 PM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
I thought roughly 80% of Mexico's population lives in cities, right?

Also, according to this map, most of the population lives in the central part of the country:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-tmpRCByc0J...on_Density.jpg

Old 12-20-2012, 02:27 PM

65 posts, read 326,481 times
Really? Gosh, Americans are so self centered.

Understand this, What americans consider "their" middle class is considered rich people for most of the world, even for most first world countries, why do you think people from all over the world want to live in the states? So don't expect that the rest of the world has the same standards when it comes to, well, pretty much...EVERYTHING.

I am a middle class person in Mexico, and I made this year a little bit over 14000 usd. and some of my peers who have more years in the same position made up to 25000 (beacuse the have earned rights I haven't, but I will), we live pretty well, we have lots of services, obviously not as many as those in the USA, or some things are more expensive, yet, I'm not complaining.

For those of you who say those things about mexican way of life because you've been to one place or two, well people, you need to travel more, I could say way much more, and I want to, but my family is waiting for me, we're going to eat pork in salsa verde, rice and beans with fresh cheese (mmm yummy). would you like to join us?

Old 12-20-2012, 02:27 PM

More interesting information on Mexico's middle class:

I really don't know what anyone gains by denying that Mexico has become a middle class society and that it is booming.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyhero View Post
Really? Gosh, Americans are so self centered.
Not Americans, just some Americans. There are others like me. I'm actually quite happy for Mexico. The only thing I don't like is that its happening now when it should had happened decades ago, but better late than never.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:48 PM

340 posts, read 608,955 times
Wait a second, keyhero, how do you know what exactly is considered middle class in the U.S.? Because I am American and I do not even know what officially puts someone in the middle class here, but from what I have heard, it is actually a lot less than what even most Americans would think. I remember hearing about 10 years ago it was 28,000 for a family of four. That is really not very much when you consider the cost of living in the United States.

And how is recognizing the ACTUAL problem of poverty in Mexico self-centered?? I live on the border and I am well aware that not all Mexicans live in poverty. In fact, usually when I go to the store here I am surrounded by many wealthy and middle-class Mexicans, but I KNOW that there is still a lot of genuine poverty in Mexico. And if the middle class really is "booming" in Mexico, I think that is GREAT! If this means an alleviation of some of Mexico's worst poverty, and more opportunities for Mexico's lowest classes I think that is wonderful. But I do not see this as an excuse to ignore the realities of those suffering from the harshest poverty in Mexico. I am sure that there are many Mexicans who do not even make a tenth of what you make. I am sure that these people's lives are not so great. And as far as I understand, the gum sellers on the corner in Mexico are considered "employed". (What a joke!) And I think that there ought to be some kind of global standard for what constitutes poverty. Otherwise, corrupt governments can simply lower the standards to make their countries look better and ignore real problems of many of their citizens. For example, in India, which, by the way is considered to be another one of these "booming" economies, with a growing middle class, the garbage pickers who live in the garbage dumps are NOT considered to be living in poverty by the Indian government!

Old 12-21-2012, 08:33 AM

836 posts, read 2,947,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unnativeelpasoan View Post
Wait a second, keyhero, how do you know what exactly is considered middle class in the U.S.? Because I am American and I do not even know what officially puts someone in the middle class here, but from what I have heard, it is actually a lot less than what even most Americans would think. I remember hearing about 10 years ago it was 28,000 for a family of four. That is really not very much when you consider the cost of living in the United States.
Is curious that in USA you can be middle class and be in super debt.
I guess is the easy access to credit what makes U.S. a prosperous society with a middle class majority.

Quote:
And how is recognizing the ACTUAL problem of poverty in Mexico self-centered??
Americans do not care to acknowledge any problem, for them Mexico is a miserable country and the non-poor are corrupt.

Quote:
And if the middle class really is "booming" in Mexico, I think that is GREAT!
Then why is so hard to believe to americans that middle class is growing in Mexico?
If that happens is because more people are out of poverty.

Quote:
But I do not see this as an excuse to ignore the realities of those suffering from the harshest poverty in Mexico. I am sure that there are many Mexicans who do not even make a tenth of what you make.
Yes, we are aware there is still poverty in Mexico, but we have no right to rejoice because we are improving?

Quote:
And as far as I understand, the gum sellers on the corner in Mexico are considered "employed". (What a joke!)
And is not a job? I prefer they sell gum to be flooded by panhandlers like in the most rich cities of USA.

Quote:
And I think that there ought to be some kind of global standard for what constitutes poverty. Otherwise, corrupt governments can simply lower the standards to make their countries look better and ignore real problems of many of their citizens.
There are studies of international organizations indicate that Mexico is on the right track.

List of countries by income equality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Human Development Index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-21-2012, 10:15 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexguy View Post
No. But it contributes to a composite picture, coupled with other people's experiences. My post was in agreement with a previous poster, though, whom you did not take the trouble to attack ad hominem. Nobody's experience applies to all of Mexico, but that does not invalidate all posts that describe experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico