U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-19-2012, 08:16 PM
 
Location: Duluth, Minnesota, USA
7,652 posts, read 16,919,071 times
Reputation: 6845

Advertisements

I know this sounds like a petty question, but it's something I'm genuinely curious about.

I rode numerous medium-long distance buses during my month-long trip there in March 2011, and it seemed like a literal imposition on the other passengers to open my window shades to see the landscape. Granted, it was usually boring (I spent a lot of time in Yucatan, which I would say has the most boring landscape next to the Moroccan desert), but it was still interesting at times. I know that if I rode a long-distance bus in my country I would occasionally want to glance out the window. But no, the other passengers (almost all Mexican nationals, I would assume because of their appearance) closed the window shades and either slept or watched the in-transit movie. Does this reflect a lack of curiosity about the landscape?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-19-2012, 08:38 PM
 
1,726 posts, read 5,538,162 times
Reputation: 1371
They probably take that bus frequently to travel back and forth and have seen that landscape dozens or hundreds of times before.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2012, 08:58 AM
 
836 posts, read 2,784,461 times
Reputation: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I would assume because of their appearance
Why always when is about mexicans is the appearance?

There's multiple reasons but the most common is that they want to sleep or see the movie or they already know the landscape.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2012, 12:39 PM
 
Location: CHicago, United States
6,934 posts, read 7,963,970 times
Reputation: 3498
I think #2 hit the nail on the head.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 01:04 AM
 
12,729 posts, read 12,992,826 times
Reputation: 6793
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexguy View Post
There's multiple reasons but the most common is that they want to sleep or see the movie or they already know the landscape.
I am not sure what country the OP is from, but travel by bus for middle class people in Mexico is much more common than in the United States. As a general rule I found that the tolls on highways are the same as a single upper class bus ticket, so given gasoline and parking, it is usually cheaper for a single person to go by bus than to drive.

Travel via airplane is reserved for longer trips. Very often air travel over shorter distances is done in America. Southwest's average aircraft trip length is 697 miles with an average duration of one hour and 55 minutes. The average passenger trip length is approximately 943 miles.

Mexicans usually do most trips under 400 miles via bus. It is 799 miles from Mexico to Cancun, 1430 miles from Mexico City to Tijuana, and 422 miles from Mexico City to Monterrey. These are the most popular air routes.

While it is common to meet an American who has never traveled on an intercity commercial bus in his life, Most Mexicans do it very often.

If you do something that often, it is not that strange to think that staring out the window grows boring.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 05:33 AM
 
Location: Duluth, Minnesota, USA
7,652 posts, read 16,919,071 times
Reputation: 6845
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I am not sure what country the OP is from, but travel by bus for middle class people in Mexico is much more common than in the United States. As a general rule I found that the tolls on highways are the same as a single upper class bus ticket, so given gasoline and parking, it is usually cheaper for a single person to go by bus than to drive.

Travel via airplane is reserved for longer trips. Very often air travel over shorter distances is done in America. Southwest's average aircraft trip length is 697 miles with an average duration of one hour and 55 minutes. The average passenger trip length is approximately 943 miles.

Mexicans usually do most trips under 400 miles via bus. It is 799 miles from Mexico to Cancun, 1430 miles from Mexico City to Tijuana, and 422 miles from Mexico City to Monterrey. These are the most popular air routes.

While it is common to meet an American who has never traveled on an intercity commercial bus in his life, Most Mexicans do it very often.

If you do something that often, it is not that strange to think that staring out the window grows boring.
One thing I've noticed is despite a high rate of car ownership (e.g. ~40% of Mexican households, probably 70%+ of Spanish homes), people in many countries refuse to use them for long-distance travel. Go to Villahermosa, Tabasco, or even Cardenas, Tabasco (a city with a population smaller than Duluth) and traffic at rush hour is horrible; but there were periods where I rarely saw another private car on the highways in Yucatan, only trucks and buses. The same thing with Spain, where their "autorutas" are free and relatively new, and in a very good state of repair.

Compare this with the U.S., where you see tons of private cars plying long-distance routes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 09:23 AM
 
836 posts, read 2,784,461 times
Reputation: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I am not sure what country the OP is from, but travel by bus for middle class people in Mexico is much more common than in the United States.
Yes it is.


Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
As a general rule I found that the tolls on highways are the same as a single upper class bus ticket, so given gasoline and parking, it is usually cheaper for a single person to go by bus than to drive.
Not in all cases.
For example travel from Monterrey to Nuevo Laredo in a compact car you expend:

US $15 Gas
US $15 Tolls

5 person in one car.

If you go by bus, every person must pay: $24 MXP for 5 persons is: $120 a $90 difference!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post

If you do something that often, it is not that strange to think that staring out the window grows boring.
Yes, I know, is just what I said.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 09:31 AM
 
1,277 posts, read 1,763,485 times
Reputation: 3437
All of the above---plus, because Mexicans work so damned hard, they are probably tired and want to use their travel time to catch up on sleep (and having the shades drawn keeps the daylight and sunshine out of their eyes). I've lived in and travelled quite a bit throughout south central Mexico and my compadres almost always used this time to sleep (because they work 12-14 hours a day).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2012, 12:35 AM
 
47,528 posts, read 65,678,042 times
Reputation: 22383
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
All of the above---plus, because Mexicans work so damned hard, they are probably tired and want to use their travel time to catch up on sleep (and having the shades drawn keeps the daylight and sunshine out of their eyes). I've lived in and travelled quite a bit throughout south central Mexico and my compadres almost always used this time to sleep (because they work 12-14 hours a day).
Actually the work week in Mexico is pretty much the same as in the USA. I've noticed they do the same when they travel by bus here in the USA -- they tend to close the shades while Americans seem to prefer to have them opened. It's just a cultural difference -- you could ask why do Americans like to have the shades open and see the view.

Mexico Law Labor

The Work Week. The federal Labor Law of Mexico sets forth a maximum of 48 hours per week as the amount of hours a laborer can work without going overtime. Even so, most companies only run the work week at 40 to 45 hours
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2012, 09:14 AM
 
1,277 posts, read 1,763,485 times
Reputation: 3437
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Actually the work week in Mexico is pretty much the same as in the USA. I've noticed they do the same when they travel by bus here in the USA -- they tend to close the shades while Americans seem to prefer to have them opened. It's just a cultural difference -- you could ask why do Americans like to have the shades open and see the view.

Mexico Law Labor

The Work Week. The federal Labor Law of Mexico sets forth a maximum of 48 hours per week as the amount of hours a laborer can work without going overtime. Even so, most companies only run the work week at 40 to 45 hours
Good point, but I wasn't talking about just working at a job for an employer. Most Americans are completely unaware of the lifestyle differences of the majority of Mexicans compared to the majority of Americans. First off, Mexicans who are not of the monied class do not have modern appliances for doing household work. Many people wash clothes by hand (for a large family), do not have dishwashers, fix their own cars, do their own household repairs, prepare food from scratch every day, care for their elders (who live with them), and help other family members with these tasks as well. The list goes on. If you add tasks like this to a working day that's a lot of hours and labor, my friend.

Also---I knew (and lived with) many Mexicans who make a living selling in the street markets (el tianguis). The fruit/veggie sellers get up at 2:00 am most mornings to buy their produce from the growers, load it in their trucks, drive to the street market, set it all up, stay there all day selling while standing on the concrete, pack it all up in the evening, and so on. Day after day.

It's no wonder so many pull the shades to get a little shut-eye on bus trips.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top