Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 08:53 AM

23 posts, read 149,106 times

Advertisements

new pics

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 11:08 PM

68 posts, read 71,500 times
Thank you for sharing those pictures. In many ways, Monterrey looks very North American (many of those pics could be anywhere in the US). It actually looks like a very desirable city to live/work in, with a fantastic mountain backdrop.

How's the overall quality of life there? Just looks like a pretty amazing city to me - an unknown gem.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo1 View Post
Thank you for sharing those pictures. In many ways, Monterrey looks very North American (many of those pics could be anywhere in the US). It actually looks like a very desirable city to live/work in, with a fantastic mountain backdrop.

How's the overall quality of life there? Just looks like a pretty amazing city to me - an unknown gem.

Monterrey is a big city, aprox. 3.5 millions living there...
it is the headquarters for some of the largest companies of Mexico, like Cemex (second largest cement company in the world)...
is an industrial hub, a lot of multinational companies have either offices or plants in there...

the quality of life in general is very good, the natural surrounding areas are gorgeous, is very close to the US border (150 miles away from Laredo, Texas)...

just the climate is kind of hot in summer (around 95 degrees Celsius), but in Winter is cool, with some snow once in a while...

the bad thing is that several crime events happenened in the last two years, because of the drug traffic and "drug cartel" war...the local and federal goverment are trying to control this problem...
so far there has not been any issue with foreigners or tourists.

i will post more information later, and more pics

Last edited by blue_man100; 12-10-2007 at 09:12 PM..

Old 12-10-2007, 09:03 PM

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/6455/m476e457eho6.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-10-2007, 09:06 PM

Last edited by blue_man100; 12-10-2007 at 09:14 PM..

Old 12-10-2007, 09:07 PM

Natural surroundings

This is the reason Monterrey is called "The city of mountains"

http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/7272/monterreywejr5.jpg (broken link)

http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/3048/cmdr67e47m5cd6.jpg (broken link)

http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/5440/cerrodelsaposobrelasnubrh6.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by blue_man100; 12-10-2007 at 09:55 PM..

Old 12-10-2007, 09:17 PM

Good Hotels

Old 12-10-2007, 09:53 PM

Good schools

Old 12-11-2007, 05:00 AM

888 posts, read 888,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_man100 View Post
Monterrey is a big city, aprox. 3.5 millions living there...
it is the headquarters for some of the largest companies of Mexico, like Cemex (second largest cement company in the world)...
is an industrial hub, a lot of multinational companies have either offices or plants in there...

the quality of life in general is very good, the natural surrounding areas are gorgeous, is very close to the US border (150 miles away from Laredo, Texas)...

just the climate is kind of hot in summer (around 95 degrees Celsius), but in Winter is cool, with some snow once in a while...

the bad thing is that several crime events happenened in the last two years, because of the drug traffic and "drug cartel" war...the local and federal goverment are trying to control this problem...
so far there has not been any issue with foreigners or tourists.

i will post more information later, and more pics
Chau Blueman...
Uau ... these pictures are really fantastic.
I have never seen such variety of fotos of Monterrey before. Thank you so much for posting them. Awesome!

I have some questions for you ...

1 - Do you have any pictures of the Barrio Antiguo with people threre? Or more pictures of street scenes with people's faces?

2 - It is a rare thing to see pictures of the surrounding nature. I have tried PBase and TrekEarth and could never find anything to my liking. I love to hike way high in the mountains (I know well the Italian Alps). How exactly did you get to those beautiful spots in the mountains? How long did it take you to drive there? Can you access it from 85, or 2 or 20?

3 - How much are rents for a 1-bedroom apartment these days? What is the best website for Monterrey to check apartment rents?

4 - I have an MBA in Finance (from Texas A&M Intl.) with 10 years experience in Europe (France, Italy, and Germany) in consulting, investment banking, and corporate finance - educated in the US, but I do not have any contacts in Monterrey. I speak Spanish, but it's my 4th language as I never practice it. I speak French and Italian much better. What would be my chances on the job market there? Would it take more than 6 months of full-time job hunting?

The last time I was in MTY, it was 1998 - I was doing some weekend classes at Monterrey Tech - the city has really changed, for the better it seems.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palermodude View Post
Chau Blueman...
Uau ... these pictures are really fantastic.
I have never seen such variety of fotos of Monterrey before. Thank you so much for posting them. Awesome!

I have some questions for you ...

1 - Do you have any pictures of the Barrio Antiguo with people threre? Or more pictures of street scenes with people's faces?

2 - It is a rare thing to see pictures of the surrounding nature. I have tried PBase and TrekEarth and could never find anything to my liking. I love to hike way high in the mountains (I know well the Italian Alps). How exactly did you get to those beautiful spots in the mountains? How long did it take you to drive there? Can you access it from 85, or 2 or 20?

3 - How much are rents for a 1-bedroom apartment these days? What is the best website for Monterrey to check apartment rents?

4 - I have an MBA in Finance (from Texas A&M Intl.) with 10 years experience in Europe (France, Italy, and Germany) in consulting, investment banking, and corporate finance - educated in the US, but I do not have any contacts in Monterrey. I speak Spanish, but it's my 4th language as I never practice it. I speak French and Italian much better. What would be my chances on the job market there? Would it take more than 6 months of full-time job hunting?

The last time I was in MTY, it was 1998 - I was doing some weekend classes at Monterrey Tech - the city has really changed, for the better it seems.

2.- You can reach those spotlights in no more than 1 hour either south or west of Monterrey.
These are good links for lodging in the mountains around monterrey:

http://www.appletreecabanas.com/

Trekking and Hikking link:

http://www.geoaventura.com.mx/menuizq/acercadegeo.html

more info, later...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico