Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 12:04 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times

Advertisements

The last time I was in Mexico my friend and I got shaken down for bribe money from the police. We were just trying to explore some different streets around Cancun and so on. I hate staying at the resorts that doesn't really qualify as experiencing a different country which is why I could care less about all inclusive places. Why does this country have so many issues with corruption and so on? It's really sad...I'm most likely never going to go there again when there's way better options not far south of Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 03:20 PM

10,107 posts, read 14,972,719 times
You are complaining because Mexico is a normal country? Really?

Old 12-14-2016, 04:18 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
I think his point is that it's not a normal country.

Old 12-14-2016, 04:23 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Corruption starting from the top.

Old 12-14-2016, 04:31 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Mexico didn't use to be that bad though. I remember visiting border towns such as Reynosa several times. Now I wouldn't step foot there even if you paid me a billion pesos.

I can't even visit friends in Monterrey anymore cus it's gotten that bad. The cartels have truly messed that country up which is a shame because at the same time the country is experiencing an economic boom it hasn't in a long time. I hear despite the violence and corruption, it's actually a bit of a richer country now.

Old 12-14-2016, 04:53 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,051,515 times
I was DUI on a bicycle in Cancun. The cops drove me to an ATM so that I could pay the $500 "fine".

That's not normal in a developed country. Cops in normal countries go to jail for doing that.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:23 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,727,708 times
Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
The last time I was in Mexico my friend and I got shaken down for bribe money from the police. We were just trying to explore some different streets around Cancun and so on. I hate staying at the resorts that doesn't really qualify as experiencing a different country which is why I could care less about all inclusive places. Why does this country have so many issues with corruption and so on? It's really sad...I'm most likely never going to go there again when there's way better options not far south of Mexico.
This is not a Mexico thing .... this is more common around the world them most people want to belive. I have this type of stuff happen to me several times in other countries when travelling .... by police, customers officers and airport security staff. Corruption is a huge issue on many places. I think corruption is normal around the world and less obvious corruption is a luxury that only certain cities in certain countries enjoy.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:38 PM

26 posts, read 59,384 times
Well it simply IS the US's fault for its voracious drug appetite. Mexico has become corrupt to the bone bc of drugs, cartels, and American's self destructive ways.

Old 12-15-2016, 05:27 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,051,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Grill View Post
Well it simply IS the US's fault for its voracious drug appetite. Mexico has become corrupt to the bone bc of drugs, cartels, and American's self destructive ways.
The police and government are corrupt because the the US? What's the reason for the corruption in other Latin American countries that are not big players in drug trafficking? "Chorizo" is cultural throughout much of Latin America and it has nothing to do with drug addicted Gringos.

Old 12-15-2016, 07:43 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,429,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
I was DUI on a bicycle in Cancun. The cops drove me to an ATM so that I could pay the $500 "fine".

That's not normal in a developed country. Cops in normal countries go to jail for doing that.
To be fair, DUI on a bicycle in a foreign country might not be the best example of intelligent tourist behavior.

We just got back from 15 days in Yucatan, drove 1,000 miles and only had one incident of paying a "fine" on the spot for an alleged traffic violation. I bargained the fine down from $100 to $75 and went on my way. I could have insisted on a real ticket and dealt with it, but felt paying the "fine" was a better use of my time. This was in a small town that doesn't rely on tourism. We had no incidents like this in tourist areas.

I feel for you, $500 US seems you ran into some exceptionally greedy folks.

I have done enough traveling to realize that corruption is an unfortunate fact of life in many lesser economies, so while visiting those places I save my acting like a fool for my home country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico