Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 06:23 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times

Advertisements

Or the wrong kind of tacos?

Mexico beats US to be world's fattest country - but we're still a close second - NYPOST.com

I would not trust anything coming out of the UN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 06:51 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
How do you define "Obese"
thing is many people think Obese = 500 pound person riding around in a scooter.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:16 AM

836 posts, read 2,947,288 times
Thing is tacos and coke have always existed in Mexico, but now the way of life is more sedentary, more people works on office enviroments and the kids spend a lot of time on their laptop's, ipad, iphones and less playing in the street's or making any sports.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:06 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I would not trust anything coming out of the UN.
What organization would you trust to distribute comparative statistical data of various countries? This is not a rhetorical question, I really want to know where I can get better, more objective data than this.

Relating to this topic, please provide with at least one link to a better source on the relative obesity rates of different countries, so we can all be as well-informed as you are.

Why are you knowingly posting a thread that you know is based on false and misleading information that is intended to deceive the world and make America look bad for its own nefarious purposes?

Old 07-10-2013, 11:48 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
What organization would you trust to distribute comparative statistical data of various countries? This is not a rhetorical question, I really want to know where I can get better, more objective data than this.

You can perform a Google search on this, or any topic you want information on and receive all the knowledge you'd ever need. If you don't know how to do this, PM me.

Relating to this topic, please provide with at least one link to a better source on the relative obesity rates of different countries, so we can all be as well-informed as you are.

Again, you can use Google and maybe become as informed as I am.

Why are you knowingly posting a thread that you know is based on false and misleading information that is intended to deceive the world and make America look bad for its own nefarious purposes?

Hmm, nefarious purposes. I had no idea. I'll have to pass on this one.

Oh look, it's lunch time... I am hungry for some tacos!

Old 07-10-2013, 12:53 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
I'm trying to think of a traditional Mexican dish that isn't fattening... not coming up with anything. And the deserts like fried dough? wow

This is one time when US culture was not needed to make another country fatter.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:58 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,847,289 times
Mexico is the #1 consumer of soda drinks in the world. Obviously this fact plays a role in Mexico's diet issues.

-Cheers!

Old 07-10-2013, 01:04 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,847,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I'm trying to think of a traditional Mexican dish that isn't fattening... not coming up with anything. And the deserts like fried dough? wow

This is one time when US culture was not needed to make another country fatter.
You better think harder. You're assuming EVERY Mexican dish is fattening. You have NO IDEA how extensive Mexican cuisine is. It's mind boggling. It's sort of like watching Triple D (Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives) and saying: Wow. What American dish is NOT fattening.

-Cheers!

Old 07-11-2013, 07:17 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
You better think harder. You're assuming EVERY Mexican dish is fattening. You have NO IDEA how extensive Mexican cuisine is. It's mind boggling. It's sort of like watching Triple D (Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives) and saying: Wow. What American dish is NOT fattening.

-Cheers!
I could come up with some American dishes that are not fattening, but that would not change the fact that we are the 2nd most obese country on the planet, and shamefully so. And Mexico is #1. "Extensive" just refers to the average Mexican's calorie intake.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:51 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,859,468 times
Back to NE, have you ever been to Mexico? Real Mexican food isn't all deep-fried and covered in cheese. The portion sizes in Mexico are not gigantic either. You might be thinking about tex-mex stuff that you find in the D.C. area.

I had delicious, healthy food the times I've been to Mexico.

I think the culprit in obesity there is the extremely sweet pastries, drinks, and snacks that they eat. The yogurts are way sweeter than in the U.S., sodas are very popular. That being said, it didn't seem particularly obese where I was (Guadalajara and P.V.) - there were lots of overweight people but few of the real huge 500 lbs.+ people you commonly find in the southern U.S. I think it has to do with the fact that most Mexicans are forced to walk places rather than drive, so it keeps them from becoming ridiculously large.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico