Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2024, 02:30 PM

277 posts, read 429,529 times

Advertisements

I’m 74 and walk with a cane. I can bike a few somewhat level miles to a destination and back with groceries … but can’t walk too far.

Can’t take the summers in Phoenix any more. Own my RV and owners are selling after being here 5+ years. So I need to move. Prices have doubled on a lot iof tuff so I can’t afford to live in US either. I suppose I’ll have to sell or give away most of what I have in order to move out if the country.

The only thing I need is summers weather under 85° and nights that cool off. Prefer 60 - 75° F but if it cools off at night I can deal. Don’t want AC to be a necessity.

Prefer Fresh air, quiet and safe area. Small condo or apartment OK. I have 2 indoor cats age 17.

I cook everything from scratch so all I need is protein and veggies. I can bike for those. And decent WiFi. Bottled spring water.

I don’t speak Spanish but I’m willing to learn.

By the time I know enough that I can make some kind of a decision my cats may have transitioned by that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2024, 05:35 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
OP,are you aware of senior subsidized housing? Usually, you need to be a resident of the county where you want to apply, or visa-versa: you need to apply in the county you're already a resident of. They calibrate your rent to your income, which needs to be below the mean in your area by somewhere between 60 and 80%, depending. They give you a 1-br. apt. usually. Some of these are nice complexes. There are waiting lists; some are closed pending anticipated vacancies, others are open and accepting applications. I'd look into that, if I were you.

If you don't want to be in the Phx area any more, you could try taking your RV to a better climate, find someplace safe to park it, and make that your new place of residence while you wait a year to become eligible to apply. I have a friend who managed to apply to a couple of complexes in Santa Fe from AZ (this is unusual and usually doesn't work), got accepted, and was given an apt. on very minimal rent, utilities free.

If you have friends or relatives anywhere, where you could park your RV, or find a low-rent RV park, you could make this work. Just thought I'd mention it, in case it's an option you weren't aware of.

Old 01-03-2024, 09:43 PM

277 posts, read 429,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP,are you aware of senior subsidized housing? Usually, you need to be a resident of the county where you want to apply, or visa-versa: you need to apply in the county you're already a resident of. They calibrate your rent to your income, which needs to be below the mean in your area by somewhere between 60 and 80%, depending. They give you a 1-br. apt. usually. Some of these are nice complexes. There are waiting lists; some are closed pending anticipated vacancies, others are open and accepting applications. I'd look into that, if I were you.

If you don't want to be in the Phx area any more, you could try taking your RV to a better climate, find someplace safe to park it, and make that your new place of residence while you wait a year to become eligible to apply. I have a friend who managed to apply to a couple of complexes in Santa Fe from AZ (this is unusual and usually doesn't work), got accepted, and was given an apt. on very minimal rent, utilities free.

If you have friends or relatives anywhere, where you could park your RV, or find a low-rent RV park, you could make this work. Just thought I'd mention it, in case it's an option you weren't aware of.
I was only aware of Section 8 and they are closed with no wait list.

I appreciate the suggestions … I’ll give it some thought. Very difficult to park an RV Forest service, BLM, state trust… all enforce short stay periods. Even Walmart parking lots have limits. I need to hire someone to move a larg 5th wheel. If I could move around easily that would work. No shower. No sewer. No electric …. I’ll keep checking . Thx.

Old 01-03-2024, 10:53 PM

6,384 posts, read 11,877,389 times
Ensenada or points just north of it might be a good option. However, things aren't as cheap as people think in Mexico anymore. With the peso strengthening and inflation impacting every nation on the globe you probably won't cut your costs as much as many people who post online seem to think. Especially someone who cooks their own food. Buying staples in grocery stores will save you only a little bit compared to the US and if you buy imported products you won't save anything.

On a good note its easy to take an RV there from Phoenix and you can do it for only part of the year if you'd like. You won't need to worry much about language, English is widely spoken or at least understood there and many of your neighbors will be in your situation. If you need US healthcare its a short bus ride or drive to the border and its a much quieter and less congested place than Tijuana.

Old 01-04-2024, 03:57 AM

30,352 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Ensenada or points just north of it might be a good option. However, things aren't as cheap as people think in Mexico anymore. With the peso strengthening and inflation impacting every nation on the globe you probably won't cut your costs as much as many people who post online seem to think. Especially someone who cooks their own food. Buying staples in grocery stores will save you only a little bit compared to the US and if you buy imported products you won't save anything.

On a good note its easy to take an RV there from Phoenix and you can do it for only part of the year if you'd like. You won't need to worry much about language, English is widely spoken or at least understood there and many of your neighbors will be in your situation. If you need US healthcare its a short bus ride or drive to the border and its a much quieter and less congested place than Tijuana.
I would second Ensenada, San Diego climate at 30% of the cost, safe, close to the US and Phoenix. Great comment on the Peso strength and cost of living in Mexico but it's still overall much cheaper even if the savings aren't as great as they were a few years ago.

Just to throw out some high elevation options, I like Puebla, Queretaro, and Guadalajara if you love great year-round climate with enough rain for trees and greenery and still far cheaper than American cities.

Old 01-04-2024, 06:07 AM

103 posts, read 129,231 times
Lake Chapala. Nonstops from PH to Guadalajara; then a 30 minute taxi from airport to Lake. .

We live in Ajijic which is very cobblestoned and hilly.

Chapala town is level, paved streets, easier fo those with mobility issues.

Summer is low season, it rains but mostly at night and days are sunny.

We have owned homes in Ajijic since 2008.

Recently bought a 2nd home in Tucson and going back and forth.

We are both in early 70s and bought US home to have easier access to health care covered by Medicare. Though medical care is great in our area due to our proximity to Guadalajara. But we pay out of pocket and starting to add up as we age.

We both had hip replacements in Ajijic in 2022, very happy with results. We paid out of pocket for it since we didn't have a home in US and cost-wise it was the same when we factored in short term rentals, airfare and car rental.

Old 01-04-2024, 01:10 PM

30,352 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeana View Post
Lake Chapala. Nonstops from PH to Guadalajara; then a 30 minute taxi from airport to Lake. .

We live in Ajijic which is very cobblestoned and hilly.

Chapala town is level, paved streets, easier fo those with mobility issues.

Summer is low season, it rains but mostly at night and days are sunny.

We have owned homes in Ajijic since 2008.

Recently bought a 2nd home in Tucson and going back and forth.

We are both in early 70s and bought US home to have easier access to health care covered by Medicare. Though medical care is great in our area due to our proximity to Guadalajara. But we pay out of pocket and starting to add up as we age.

We both had hip replacements in Ajijic in 2022, very happy with results. We paid out of pocket for it since we didn't have a home in US and cost-wise it was the same when we factored in short term rentals, airfare and car rental.
Another good option, I had heard Chapala was beginning to be expensive, can you estimate the cost of living there compared to Tucson?

Would you feel safe driving from Tucson to Chapala?

Old 01-04-2024, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Another good option, I had heard Chapala was beginning to be expensive, can you estimate the cost of living there compared to Tucson?

Would you feel safe driving from Tucson to Chapala?
We owned a home in Bisbee for 11 years and drove twice a year to Ajijic. 21 hours total. Always felt safe, but haven't driven that route since 2013. Others say they drive it often, still safe.

Houses have jumped in price there as they have pretty much worldwide. Though the cost to carry a house there is significantly less. My annual real estate taxes are equivalent of 400 USD; my annual water bill is equv. of 500 USD. My home insurance is 230 USD.

Here is link to MLS here. https://www.chapalamls.net/en/search Prices in Chapala are less than Ajijic; prices in Jocotopec (20 minute drive from Ajijic) are even less.

Food is much less even at restaurants. Most entrees run 150 to 250 pesos (but fancy spots much higher, MXN places much lower), wines still 50-50 pesos a pour. Here is link to restaurants in Ajijic https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...05-Ajijic.html

The exchange rate is bad now for Americans at 17:1, has been as high as 21:1 and mostly 20:1 for past several years. But when we bought our first home here, it was 10:1 so we feel anything above 15:1 is gravy.

Mexico living is NOT for everyone....there are as many minuses as pluses. But it suits us. We traveled all over MX by car from 2007 to 2014. Since then we fly around MX, all over on cheap MX airlines. GDL is really great airport with many destinations. We have flown from GDL to Madrid non-stop for far less (as in half) than flying from PHX to Madrid (and no nonstops).

Old 01-04-2024, 04:38 PM

6,384 posts, read 11,877,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Just to throw out some high elevation options, I like Puebla, Queretaro, and Guadalajara if you love great year-round climate with enough rain for trees and greenery and still far cheaper than American cities.
I personally like all these choices of cities and could see the Lake Chapala area being a good choice as well, but I'm going to guess that the OP might have trouble getting a temporary or permanent resident visa. While many manage to stay most of the time on just tourist visas, I wouldn't really suggest it. The income or savings required for a visa are getting to be pretty daunting for most who are looking at Mexico from a lower cost advantage and from the OPs comments this probably would be the case too. I mentioned Ensenada since while its technically not allowed, most Americans and Canadians living there do it without visas.

Old 01-05-2024, 05:37 AM

tRead Residency requirements here. Most folks start with Temporal (lower quals) and renew for 4 years then automatically move to Permanente with no further income or asset proof. https://soniadiazmexico.com/temporary-residency/

The biggest hurdle for many oldsters is medical costs. While costs are low for medical visits and procedures, getting MX health insurance after age 70 is impossible. Compared to almost free Medicare in US. Our prime reason for buying house in Tucson last summer was to take advantage of our Medicare insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico