Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2013, 06:43 PM

485 posts, read 2,245,118 times

Advertisements

Other than Mexico, DF, which are Diverse? Guadalajara, Tijuana, Cancun? Are there any cities where there would be populations of Chinese, Koreans or Japanese speaking those languages? Or German, French, or some other foreign language other than Spanish or English??

Also, I would like to know especially for Monterrey because I may go there to see some of my friends who live there. I know that MTY is the 3rd largest city and its a major city but is there anything I may need to be aware of with respect to Monterrey?

How diverse is MTY and if you know any other cities or places that are relatively diverse, tell me.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 04:27 PM

I guess my question was dumb. If I wanna see diversity, maybe I should go to LA, NYC, Chicago, Toronto or some city like that.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:08 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,074,010 times
LA,NYC, Chicago, Toronto are one of the most diverse cities in the world indeed.

When you go to Monterrey can you posts pictures of buildings,architectures, food, the people, etc?

Old 10-27-2013, 05:16 PM

Of Course, I'd be happy to. Also not just Monterrey, but also Guadalajara, Mexico City, and other places in Mexico

Old 10-27-2013, 05:41 PM

836 posts, read 2,947,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
Other than Mexico, DF, which are Diverse? Guadalajara, Tijuana, Cancun? Are there any cities where there would be populations of Chinese, Koreans or Japanese speaking those languages? Or German, French, or some other foreign language other than Spanish or English??
All those are diverse in a lesser extent than DF or any american big city...

Quote:
Also, I would like to know especially for Monterrey because I may go there to see some of my friends who live there. I know that MTY is the 3rd largest city and its a major city but is there anything I may need to be aware of with respect to Monterrey?

How diverse is MTY and if you know any other cities or places that are relatively diverse, tell me.
In Monterrey you just going to find people speaking their native language in their professional environment.

In Monterrey there are many population from the United States, China, Japan, Korea, ETC. because they come to work in companies from those countries, and thats why they do not have time to bond with the native community. Most come to live here temporarily.

The only foreign community more or less organized is that from China that owns hundreds of restaurants in the city, but they tend to associate with the same people of their country, you can find hundreds of Chinese people in their business in the area of Colegio Civil.

You can find a lot of americans working in the area of business parks in Apodaca, also in offices of Valle Oriente in San Pedro.

If you have friends in Monterrey, then they can help you out with this information.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:33 PM

6,498 posts, read 7,528,555 times
Quote:
I guess my question was dumb. If I wanna see diversity, maybe I should go to LA, NYC, Chicago, Toronto or some city like that.
No, this is actually a good thread; it’s just that diversity is more difficult to come by in Mexico than say in Canada or the US.

Immigration to Mexico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I can’t speak for other cities, but here in Tijuana there is a large Chinese presence which I understand is second only to the Americans as far as a foreign born presence in the city. I love eating at the local Chinese restaurants which are abundant here in TJ from buffets, menu restaurants, to fast Chinese food in the malls, these restaurants are everywhere in the city. Every one working in these restaurants is Chinese, not just the owners but the workers as well. Even the young people who usually work the cash registers are likely born in China as they speak Spanish with thick Chinese accents. Here is an article on Chinese in Tijuana.

15,000 Chinese migrants thriving in Tijuana - Noticias - SanDiegoRed

There are also many Spanish and Argentines here in TJ, but I have a friend/neighbor who used to live in the same building as me and he is of Korean decent but looked full Mexican. One time he invited me to a family party and many of his relatives looked full blooded Korean (he joked that his uncle was the spitting image of Mr Mayagi from Karate Kid) but they spoke Spanish just like anyone else and seemed very Mexicanized to be frank, they even greeted me with a kiss on the cheek which is very Mexican thing to do.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:10 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
I would say Mexico City is by far the most diverse, having by far the largest proportional representation of people who are not of the Mestizo majority. I have no data to back that up, that is just my impression.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:50 PM

6,498 posts, read 7,528,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I would say Mexico City is by far the most diverse, having by far the largest proportional representation of people who are not of the Mestizo majority. I have no data to back that up, that is just my impression.
Agreed, in Mexico City you will see blonde haired blue eyed people and immediately assume Americans/Canadians... then they wind up speaking Spanish or some other European Language without the slightest hint of a gringo accent.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:11 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,119,365 times
Quote:

Mexico isn't a very diverse country in terms of immigrants. The U.S., Canada, U.K., etc. are a lot more attractive for an immigrant from India or China than Mexico. Nevertheless, there are some immigrants, but many of the regions of Mexico where I was (southern Mexico) seemed as or even more insular than my hometown of Duluth, Minnesota.

One area where there is an exception is the petroleum industry, which, while mainly consisting of Mexican nationals, also attracts people from the United States, and the tourism industry, which is major centers like Merida and Cancun attracts people from around the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico