U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 06:10 PM

1,267 posts, read 2,798,488 times

Advertisements

Mexico Pardons 70% of Cuba)

Any thoughts on this? Is Mexico taking a right step by forgiving the debt that Cuba owns them? Will future increase in trade be more beneficial to Mexico?

What I don't understand is that Cuba gives their people free education and classes(e.g ballet, boxing) etc But yet a lot of people of Mexico cannot afford school. Should Mexico let that money go out of their hands?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 06:44 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,222,754 times
Who really forgave the debt, Mexico or the US

2011 US aide to Mexico

For 2011 it was increased by another $310 million making our annual "donations" and "loans" just under one billion dollars.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:30 PM

836 posts, read 2,769,340 times
It's not ok to forgive a debt to Cuba just at the time the mexican government increases taxes, but if Cuba would never pay, why to be deceived? I guess mexican people don't care.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestintheWest View Post
Who really forgave the debt, Mexico or the US

2011 US aide to Mexico

For 2011 it was increased by another $310 million making our annual "donations" and "loans" just under one billion dollars.
Classic american thought that believes that all the money of Mexican government comes from United States...

Old 11-03-2013, 06:25 AM

4,929 posts, read 4,607,278 times
The US will be heavily in debt for decades.

NOTE: Most of the U.S debt it held and owed to it's own people and financial institutions. Approximately 80% to be exact. The debt to other nations is in the form of Treasuries, which no nation can demand payment on until each Treasury matures. That means that no foreign nation can demand payment until such time that those Treasury bills mature; all mature at different times.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:51 AM

42,661 posts, read 80,692,037 times
And then, when the Castros are gone and Cuba is up for grabs by the greediest of American investors, and becomes the richest state in the USA -- might Mexico regret blowing this off?

By the way, Mexico didn't just blow it off. There ia s long list of concessions that Cuba has agreed to in exchange, some of which could be of considerable value to the Mexicans. Another quarter-billioln will be paid off by Cuba, according to a ten-year schedule.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-03-2013 at 08:01 AM..

Old 11-03-2013, 10:35 AM

1,267 posts, read 2,798,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
And then, when the Castros are gone and Cuba is up for grabs by the greediest of American investors, and becomes the richest state in the USA -- might Mexico regret blowing this off?

By the way, Mexico didn't just blow it off. There ia s long list of concessions that Cuba has agreed to in exchange, some of which could be of considerable value to the Mexicans. Another quarter-billioln will be paid off by Cuba, according to a ten-year schedule.

good point.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:57 AM

2,847 posts, read 2,222,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexguy View Post
Classic american thought that believes that all the money of Mexican government comes from United States...
so you do not think $310 millions is a lot of money when the US is broke. You seem to be the deluded one as to the value of money.
I have spent as much or more time in Mexico than you and many others here so do give me the classic american thought routine.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:32 AM

6,934 posts, read 7,911,286 times
Mexico acts in its own best interest, not to benefit the USA. There's a long relationship between the Castro dictatorship and Mexico's (historically, dictatorship-like) PRI. The devil is in the details, as the old saying suggests ... and I doubt any one of us offering comments has seen the details or listened to the conversations in the smoke-filled rooms where the deal was brokered. I say let Mexico do what it wants and let the Mexicans decide if its government has acted in their interest.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
so you do not think $310 millions is a lot of money when the US is broke. You seem to be the deluded one as to the value of money.
That amount has nothing to do with the loans from Mexico to Cuba.

Quote:
I have spent as much or more time in Mexico than you and many others here so do give me the classic american thought routine.
Mr. I live in Mexico, I am mexican. So you are not telling me how the things are here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico