U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2013, 07:44 PM

6 posts, read 9,943 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am from the Caribbean, and I am in Mexico, but I am looking for a region or town where people are resonably friendly and also not so violent or insecure. I am in Leon, but not an interesting place at all. Very closed people and not very clean place. Can an expert traveller and an expert on Mexican culture please give me some information on best, however not touristic places to live in Mexico for an extended period of time? A city or region with resonably friendly people where there is a good chance for socialization, nice scenery and not too much violence that is already plaguing Mexico. I have a list of cities that I could put and I would really like an expert on Mexico to tell me their opinion:

Guadalajara
Morelia
Puebla
Aguascalientes
Guanajuato
Veracruz
Tuxtla Gutierez
Villahermosa
Oaxaca
San Luis Potosi

Thanks. Paul
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 09:15 PM

490 posts, read 2,025,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammeing View Post
Hi everyone. I am from the Caribbean, and I am in Mexico, but I am looking for a region or town where people are resonably friendly and also not so violent or insecure. I am in Leon, but not an interesting place at all. Very closed people and not very clean place. Can an expert traveller and an expert on Mexican culture please give me some information on best, however not touristic places to live in Mexico for an extended period of time? A city or region with resonably friendly people where there is a good chance for socialization, nice scenery and not too much violence that is already plaguing Mexico. I have a list of cities that I could put and I would really like an expert on Mexico to tell me their opinion:

Guadalajara
Morelia
Puebla
Aguascalientes
Guanajuato
Veracruz
Tuxtla Gutierez
Villahermosa
Oaxaca
San Luis Potosi

Thanks. Paul
Guadalajara I heard is dangerous and so is Morelia. People in Guadalajara are pretty friendly but I think they are also closed and reserved, especially if you aren't in the same job/family/school/or club as they are. They should call it Strawberry City since it's full of Fresas. I think maybe Morelia may be better but not so safe, unless it got safer now... I heard Veracruz people are VERY friendly and outgoing, don't know about Veracruz City though, I'm thinking Guanajuato City is both safe and have really nice and friendly people too. Also Tuxtla Gutierrez, Villahermosa, and Oaxaca are real nice I hear. Not sure about the other ones.

So most of Southern Mexico would be great for you since it has beautiful spanish colonial architecture, bright colors, and friendly people as well as an inviting and slow pace environment.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:16 PM

490 posts, read 2,025,968 times
I would wait to see what other people have to say though. Also, not all of the people of Guadalajara are bad, only like 80% are like that.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:22 PM

12,223 posts, read 12,562,509 times
My vote (in order best to worst)
Guanajuato (most intellectual city in Mexico)
Oaxaca (best food, very safe)
Veracruz (much nicer beach than you have heard)
Puebla (charming city)
Guadalajara (good parts and bad)
Morelia (state of, not city) try Patzcuaro

Old 11-27-2013, 10:32 PM

216 posts, read 691,362 times
As someone whose entire family lives in Leon, I cannot fathom why you don't find it interesting enough to stay there!!! LOL But seriously, Guanajuato is close enough that you can make a few trips over there and see for yourself. Lots of American students there. Also, have you looked at San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato? There's a large population of Americans, Canadians, etc. living there, and it's a very interesting & picturesque (artsy-fartsy) town. Now, from your list I'd DEFINITELY pick Puebla! Lots of culture, beyond fabulous food, and the people are super-nice. You ought to make a trip down there and see for yourself, I know you'll love it!

Old 11-28-2013, 12:50 AM

5,804 posts, read 10,364,105 times
The hard part is the desire for social and friendly. Its just the culture. People can be very social and friendly once they feel a reason to do so. However until then you are going to think they are a bit closed off to you because in fact they are. Just the way it is. Family always comes way before friends and social acquaintances. Most people have enough family around they never really have to socialize outside of family, especially after they get married. Of course there are exceptions, especially when there is a business transaction going on, so don't be fooled by the friendly shop keeper or the nice person at your favorite restaurant. Outside of those places they often can be very different people.

Something you'll notice in Mexican culture is people tend to trust you more the more they see you so you just have to be patient and let things shake out as they may over time. If you move to a place and give it 2 months, you probably will feel like its just an impersonal and unfriendly place because people have to see you around longer to feel some level of trust. Once again a very cultural thing, something you just eventually come around to understand.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:15 AM

836 posts, read 2,765,705 times
If you really are in Leon you can visit Guanajuato, San Miguel de Allende, Queretaro and see if you like it.

Other interesting cities can be Aguascalientes, Zacatecas, San Luis Potosi, San Cristobal de las Casas, Merida, Oaxaca and Puebla.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:13 PM

337 posts, read 684,964 times
I have been to Guadalajara, Guanajuato and Oaxaca.

I would vote for Oaxaca. I went there in July for a full week and did not get bored. Oaxaca is safe, I walked around all throughout the center of town after dark. Oaxaca isn't as big as Guadalajara, Leon or Puebla - the entire town feels manageable and the people are friendly.

Oaxaca has a very European vibe and attracts a decent amount of tourists but not too many. Prices in Oaxaca (for food and services at least) are cheaper than Guadalajara and Mexico City. A very pleasant part of Oaxaca that doesn't get any tourists is the neighborhood around the park called El Llano. You will see joggers, young families and teenagers making out but no tourists! There were vendors selling street food such as elote and tacos. I went to El Llano at 11pm on a Thursday night and there were still a lot of people hanging out. The streets the run adjacent to the park are lined with restaurants full of middle-class Oaxacans.

Additionally there are many interesting day trips from Oaxaca that you can do. The ruins of Monte Alban are extremely close - I was more impressed with Monte Alban than Teotihuacan. Mitla and Yagul are two other nearby ruins. There are a ton of villages that are close by as well. Each village has a market day. Tlacolula has the biggest market day (on Sundays). Etla and Zaachila are two other notable villages.

Also, the beach (Puerto Escondido) is a six hour bus ride away. I didn't visit Puerto Escondido.

Guanajuato I last visited in 2008. I enjoyed it there. It is very picturesque. I loved going through all the tunnels and climbing all of its vistas. Guanajuato definitely feels a bit more sophisticated and upper-class than Oaxaca. However, I think I would get bored there after a few days. I think Oaxaca has more to explore.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:45 PM

5 posts, read 9,482 times
Hello Babygirl, thanks for your response. I find people in Leon to be quite mean and unfriendly. They seem to be very uninterested in other peoples. I could be wrong though. Maybe people in Guadalajara are the same or worse. For sure Aguascalientes is worse.....What do you think about this and why would you believe that Leon is all that interesting? Allbeit, you are from that city.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:46 PM

5 posts, read 9,482 times
Default your views

Hello Babygirl, thanks for your response. I find people in Leon to be quite mean and unfriendly. They seem to be very uninterested in other peoples. I could be wrong though. Maybe people in Guadalajara are the same or worse. For sure Aguascalientes is worse.....What do you think about this and why would you believe that Leon is all that interesting? Allbeit, you are from that city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico