U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2014, 02:28 PM

5 posts, read 9,486 times

Advertisements

Hi there. I am a Caribbean national from the island of Trinidad and Tobago. I have been offered a teaching job in two cities here in Mexico, in both Guadalajara and Veracruz city. My advice is, which of these cities are better in terms of?:

a. friendliness of the people from that region
b. more interesting folks
c. safety level
d. cost of living

Waiting for advice from knowledgeable Mexico travellers before I make a decision. Thanks alot. Axel.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 12:27 AM

3,308 posts, read 3,251,839 times
Both of these cities are in different regions of Mexico and with strong local cultures and histories. They are both very interesting cities with rich, vibrant cultures. Veracruz is a port city with more of a Caribbean feel, the people act and even talk Caribbean. This is a historically and musically rich area which also includes an African presence. Guadalajara is a large city where there is a strong history of many traditions such as tequila and mariachi.
The people there tend to be more conservative. But, it is also a large city with a relatively large middle class and lots to do.

I have lived in Guadalajara and have visited Veracruz. In general, Mexicans tend to be friendly people, especially towards foreigners. You should be fine in both cities. Both cities are relatively safe as long as you take proper precautions. In my personal opinion, I would choose Veracruz. I am not sure of cost of living, but to my knowledge, it is not known as being an expensive place.

Old 03-09-2014, 02:06 PM

6 posts, read 9,946 times
Default thanks

Thanks Rosa for your info,,,,but why do you feel in your personal opinion that Veracruz could be a better option than Guadalajara?

Old 03-09-2014, 03:08 PM

3,308 posts, read 3,251,839 times
Oh that is just my personal opinion, has nothing to do with one being better than the other. Maybe because my mother is from Guadalajara and Veracruz was so different when I visited. It is just so cool, they have good food and coffee culture, good nightlife including salsa dancing, son jarocho- the culture is vibrant. You are also closer to Oaxaca, Tabasco and Yucatan.

Guadalajara is a big city with a strong soccer culture, great nightlife, strong traditions as well.

That is a hard choice! I would visit first and see which you prefer to live in!

Old 03-15-2014, 02:30 PM

168 posts, read 156,928 times
Either gld or Veracruz. Just stay away from Mexico City.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:45 AM

6,297 posts, read 3,089,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Oh that is just my personal opinion, has nothing to do with one being better than the other. Maybe because my mother is from Guadalajara and Veracruz was so different when I visited. It is just so cool, they have good food and coffee culture, good nightlife including salsa dancing, son jarocho- the culture is vibrant. You are also closer to Oaxaca, Tabasco and Yucatan.

Guadalajara is a big city with a strong soccer culture, great nightlife, strong traditions as well.

That is a hard choice! I would visit first and see which you prefer to live in!
Hm. You might be a good person to ask:

Where do I find information on Mexican Son music festivals?
Son Jarocho, Son Huasteco, Son Jaliscience, and Huapango music.

I know that Son Jarocho is mainly in Veracruz, Son Huasteco is around Ciudad Valles, and Son Jaliscience is mainly in Guadalajara.

I LOVE this Mexican folk music dearly. Vaguely reminds me of bluegrass, old timey, and mountain music of the United States.

I would love to find a festival that features several groups in any or all of these genres. Or, if you could just direct me to areas that are sure to have examples of them. Or maybe someone who has lots of information on performances.

Mainly I'm interested in Son Huasteco. If I just show up in Ciudad Valles would I be able to see this music in the streets on any given day?

Cheers! And thanks.

Last edited by AguaDulce; 03-20-2014 at 11:21 AM..

Old 03-25-2014, 11:31 PM

12,237 posts, read 12,581,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
I would love to find a festival that features several groups in any or all of these genres. Or, if you could just direct me to areas that are sure to have examples of them. Or maybe someone who has lots of information on performances.

Mainly I'm interested in Son Huasteco. If I just show up in Ciudad Valles would I be able to see this music in the streets on any given day?
I thought that Son Huasteco was more associated with Tamaulipas (Tampico) than Ciudad Valles. The cities are only 75 miles apart, so I could be mistaken.

Don't forget Son IstmeƱo with Lila Downs and Susan Harp. You can fly to Oaxaca City nonstop from Houston, Tijuana or Mexico City.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS3S4cnztro

Much harder to get to is Festival de la Chilena 2005 en Santiago Jamiltepec, Oaxaca, Mexico. You basically have to get to Acapulco (directly or by bus from Mexico City) and travel several hours down the coast to country where pre-columbian culture reigns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LEkO_wlErc

Old 04-29-2014, 08:24 AM

983 posts, read 1,495,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tequila4less View Post
Just stay away from Mexico City.
Pffft...

Old 04-29-2014, 02:24 PM

6,853 posts, read 20,360,771 times
I have lived in Mexico City for three yrs before coming here to Baja ( now 18 yrs).

Had Mexican friends besides my wife's family that would NEVER go to some parts of the city......no different then many cities in the US......same similarity for sure.....all one has to do is watch/read the daily news....does CHIGAGO ring a bell.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:29 AM

12,237 posts, read 12,581,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
...does CHICAGO ring a bell.
As you said, crime is everywhere. To not go to Mexico City because of your fear of crime is committing a crime to yourself.
Chicago did it's massive growth from 1860 (112K) to 1930 (3376K) and has dropped in population by 2012 (2715K). Mexico City grew to it's size until roughly 1980.

It's a newer younger city than most cities in America. You just have to be careful, but you are very unlikely to be physically hurt in the tourist sections of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico