Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2015, 02:19 PM

344 posts, read 417,097 times

Advertisements

I am considering a vacation to Mexico soon. It will also serve as an exploratory trip to see if I would like to live there for an extended period. I am thinking to fly into DF, spend several days there and then bus to Queretaro for a few days to check it out. I have some basic questions to start with.

1. Is there any "perfect" time of day to arrive in DF via plane as far as safety is concerned? I will be flying United and I have my pick of arrival times, early morning, mid day, evening, late evening. My big concern is traveling from the airport to the hotel as safely as possible. I know I have flown into Quito and Lima near midnight and in Lima there were special security precautions to take in this regard.

2. If I decide to start in Queretaro and go there directly from the airport is this possible? Or will I need to go to a proper bus station?

3. Are there any public holiday periods I should be aware of to plan around starting mid April through mid May?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 02:23 PM

170 posts, read 188,884 times
1.- Morning is a good time to arrive at the DF airport
2.- You would need to depart from the Central Norte Bus Station. Unless you want to pay a taxi cab to Queretaro
3.- You might want to search for the Semana Santa this year.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:25 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,235,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llep View Post
I am considering a vacation to Mexico soon. It will also serve as an exploratory trip to see if I would like to live there for an extended period. I am thinking to fly into DF, spend several days there and then bus to Queretaro for a few days to check it out. I have some basic questions to start with.

1. Is there any "perfect" time of day to arrive in DF via plane as far as safety is concerned? I will be flying United and I have my pick of arrival times, early morning, mid day, evening, late evening. My big concern is traveling from the airport to the hotel as safely as possible. I know I have flown into Quito and Lima near midnight and in Lima there were special security precautions to take in this regard.

2. If I decide to start in Queretaro and go there directly from the airport is this possible? Or will I need to go to a proper bus station?

3. Are there any public holiday periods I should be aware of to plan around starting mid April through mid May?

Thanks!
1. The morning is the best time.

2. You can take a bus from the airport to Querétaro. http://www.aicm.com.mx/en/passengers...ortation/buses

3. Holy week is from March 29 to April 4, lot of traffic in the airport.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:20 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,893,069 times
Unless you want to go out walking around after you arrive your time in the city isn't that important. Taxis are available 24 hours a day and are quite safe.

By the end of April tourism traffic is real slow, things won't pick up again until kids are out of school.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:53 AM

502 posts, read 655,775 times
Mexico DF has a reputation of an unsafe city that it is maybe a heritage from the 80s or so. Nothing to do with current DF, that it is a perfectly safe big city (if you follow regular safety rules and common sense as you would do in any big city)

It would be like judging NYC safety of today with the data of 80s NYC. Nothing to do.

so, relax, everything will be fine. Enjoy Mexico.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:02 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,583,156 times
Quote:
Unless you have a high powered job, most people don't want to move to Mexico City. It is too expensive and busy to live in, unless you have a lot of money.

May I suggest that you land in MEX airport (preferably before 4PM) and take a nice bus directly from the airport to Querétaro. The historic city center, and the nearby towns of San Miguel de Allende or the incredible city of Guanajato are much nicer places to live. Save your museum visits for the end of your exploratory trip. If you move there, you will have many trips to Mexico City to see the sights. Concentrate on possible places to live.

San Miguel de Allende is the far richer and more touristed city. Guanajato is one of the gems of Mexico.

Once upon a Time in Mexico was filmed in SMA, Guanajato, and Queretaro. It is a violent film, but the scenery is impressive

Old 03-05-2015, 09:08 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,097,912 times
Queretaro was one of my favorite cities on my excursion through Mexico. In addition, Puebla, Guanajuato, and Guadalajara were wildly impressive cities. DF was the only city during my 2-week excursion that I couldn't stand. It wasn't unsafe at all; it was just big, sprawling, and generally lacking the charm that made the aforementioned cities so wonderful.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:21 PM

6 posts, read 13,882 times
Quote:

Thanks!
If you are considering moving there, you should go there in "worst" time to see if you can handle it.

I have some family friends that retired to Querataro and couldn't be happier.......

Have a great time and enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico