Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 05:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,482 times

Advertisements

I know that Mexico related media is filled with corruption, killings, drug war etc. and although it might be exaggerated, we can't deny it's a big problem. It strikes me that Mexico borders such a developed country. When I go to Mexico, I can notice the difference in development. I'm in Texas, and it's more developed, but then we cross the bridge, and it looks less developed and well like Mexico. I'm not saying it looks like a 3rd world country(using it as an adjective), cause it doesn't, but you can clearly notice it!

I swear, something big and shocking needs to happen to Mexico for it to wake up and for Mexicans just sucking up everything their filthy corrupt government throws at them. The government needs to know how it feels to be average Mexicans who have suffered from the wrong doings of the government.

I just feels like nothing is happening. That Mexico is just staying the way it is. I'm American but my parents are Mexican(no not illegal), so obviously I feel a connection to Mexico and don't have a "not my country don't care what happens" attitude. I also love America care what happens to this country, so I'm not a "yeaaah I'm Mexican viva mexicooo f*ck americaaa!" type of kid, who are very annoying.

I've read and have seen documents on the drug war, it's just like, there's no hope. The government is too deep rooted into this and are as much of a part of the stuff that goes on in Mexico as the cartels are. In fact, you could probably even call 90% of the Mexican government a criminal organization.

Mexico is also such a wealthy country, but look at how Mexicans live. Sure, it might not be SUPER bad to the point where people are dying of starvation, but Mexico could be using it's wealth way better.

Maybe America also needs to do something, cause the cartels are rich off of drugs Americans buy and no one can deny that.

To me, Mexican politicians act like they're trying to improve Mexico, and pretend to be completely blind from what everyone outside of Mexico sees is wrong.

The US and Europe need to put pressure on Mexico or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 02:25 AM

6,384 posts, read 11,877,389 times
Why doesn't Mississippi improve? Why doesn't the Bronx improve? Why doesn't any bad area improve?

Its just the way people who live there accept their world to be. The only way it changes is if a lot of money from elsewhere comes in and changes a place. Sort of like what happened to much of Brooklyn, which was in large parts scary and poor a generation ago. Mexico has regulations in place to prevent much outside money and influence coming in, although in slight ways this is changing. If you want quick drastic change its not going to happen, but little bits are getting through.

The things you point out people realize. There isn't a naive sense that corruption and bad governance aren't around. People understand they are an everyday problem, but they also feel no way to change this. I think the PRD's increased popularity starting about 10 years ago put some real fear into the corruption machine and the cartels, but they figured out intimidation and sharing a little of the wealth would reduce the threat and it has to some degree. The tried and true formula of paying off or killing off opposing forces will continue until one day it doesn't work anymore. Will that day be a few years or 100 years off I don't know.

Old 10-19-2014, 03:44 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svxxc View Post
I know that Mexico related media is filled with corruption, killings, drug war etc. and although it might be exaggerated, we can't deny it's a big problem. It strikes me that Mexico borders such a developed country. When I go to Mexico, I can notice the difference in development. I'm in Texas, and it's more developed, but then we cross the bridge, and it looks less developed and well like Mexico. I'm not saying it looks like a 3rd world country(using it as an adjective), cause it doesn't, but you can clearly notice it!

I swear, something big and shocking needs to happen to Mexico for it to wake up and for Mexicans just sucking up everything their filthy corrupt government throws at them. The government needs to know how it feels to be average Mexicans who have suffered from the wrong doings of the government.

I just feels like nothing is happening. That Mexico is just staying the way it is. I'm American but my parents are Mexican(no not illegal), so obviously I feel a connection to Mexico and don't have a "not my country don't care what happens" attitude. I also love America care what happens to this country, so I'm not a "yeaaah I'm Mexican viva mexicooo f*ck americaaa!" type of kid, who are very annoying.

I've read and have seen documents on the drug war, it's just like, there's no hope. The government is too deep rooted into this and are as much of a part of the stuff that goes on in Mexico as the cartels are. In fact, you could probably even call 90% of the Mexican government a criminal organization.

Mexico is also such a wealthy country, but look at how Mexicans live. Sure, it might not be SUPER bad to the point where people are dying of starvation, but Mexico could be using it's wealth way better.

Maybe America also needs to do something, cause the cartels are rich off of drugs Americans buy and no one can deny that.

To me, Mexican politicians act like they're trying to improve Mexico, and pretend to be completely blind from what everyone outside of Mexico sees is wrong.

I appreciate the passion. Part of the difficulty is living beneath the shadow of the US (and to a lesser degree Canada). What might have developed more organically is now forced to develop in reaction to changes in North American policies, including those of Texas, Arizona, and California. The only industries in which Mexico can exploit comparative advantage are the very industries that educated Mexicans would not touch.

Another big issue is the extent to which Mexico is run from Mexico City. Were Mexico's north comprised of competing Republics, you would see all the north develop like crazy, particularly Nuevo Leon and Baja California. It is not quire Northern Italy vs. Southern Italy, but the approach to business in the north has had far more exposure to the West than the Center or the South. I think a number of other states would also benefit from independence though in different ways and according to different timelines.

As of 2013, greater Mexico City (DF & Mexico the state) comprises 21.3% of the population of the nation. That is incredible. he concentration of people and administration are the sad legacies of being a Spanish colony. When that figure falls to <10%, it will reflect better times.

Mexico is essentially an artificial nation, 32 states which feature very distinct cultures, political economies, etc.Starting from scratch, we would see 10+ countries and 5-8 independent monetary and fiscal policies. But maintained as one nation, it is clearly unworkable.

Perhaps a tight confederation/commonwealth would work out better than one nation that perpetually suffers from its various domestic and international dependencies.

S.

Old 10-19-2014, 03:45 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,486,492 times
Quote:

Mexico IS changing and at a dramatic pace. It is a country in flux and turmoil, continuously questioning itself and its place within this world. You see it in cities like Tijuana which went from being a city of vice, to being sought out as a gastronomic, artistic and creative (especially in music) destination, with the highest concentration of biotech manufacturing anywhere in North America. Mexico has outpaced South Korea as now the biggest manufacturer of cell phones, televisions etc. It continues to climb the ranks in automobiles, with it now producing (completely in house, including design) higher end models (the Mastretta MXT). In human capital, Mexico now produces almost as many engineers as the United States (3x its size in population), and more than Brazil (2x its size) and Canada. Mexico is one of the top 15 economies in the world and is expected to be in the top 10. The country is at a tipping point and you're missing all the signs.

Even in American media, you have articles like this one by the Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...7_story.html): “Not only is Mexico doing better, macroeconomically speaking, than the false stereotypes would have us think, Mexico is actually doing better than the United States,” said Richard Fisher, president of the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, who applauds Mexico for controlling inflation, balancing budgets and managing debt.

Fisher grew up in Mexico City in the 1950s and remembers a Mexico that “was our soft underbelly, a country of tremendous poverty and horribly bad governments.”

Now Fisher and his peers praise Mexico for pouring billions of pesos into infrastructure, including ports, railroads, refineries and highways."

Not to mention all these:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...bc7_story.html
http://www.businessweek.com/articles...ering-strength
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/19/wo...anted=all&_r=0

Mexicans are very awake and aware of their situation, and you see it with more and more political unrest. Unlike naysayers like to believe, it is a democracy though, and in democracies change is moderate/slow in comparison to countries like China.

The violence is no joke, and dealing with insecurity will be Mexico's biggest challenge this coming decade. That along with education, monopolies, and low real wages...all three which are keeping it back as developing nation, instead of being a developed one. Nonetheless, all three of those issues are being addressed. The exception is wages, and the problem there is that Mexico is thinking like a developing nation instead of the developed nation it wants to be. It is keeping wages low to attract multinationals away from countries like China and others in Asia, instead of raising wages, as well as quality, and competing at a lower price point with countries like Germany, Sweden and Canada. Something all those countries (AND Mexico) have in common? They are net exporters.

I think you need to shut off the American media if you actually want to learn about what is going on in Mexico. It's much more than the drug wars. Mexico is currently in the cocoon stage of its transformation. Meaning it is deconstructing itself, rebuilding itself, and it is really messy. You might not be able to see it, but there is a lot going on.

P.S. Most of Mexico doesn't look like its border towns. It is a big and varied places, and some parts would fit easily in Europe. Some parts in the U.S...yet some areas will feel like a favela in Brasil. Having that said, have you ever been to New Orleans, or Detroit? The shanty areas of Phoenix? They don't exactly feel developed either.

Last edited by RudyOD; 10-19-2014 at 04:00 AM..

Old 10-19-2014, 10:44 AM

30,891 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
You can say this about every part of the world, including the United States. When will the people of the world wake up and overthrow the global ruling elite? It will take millions of us willing to tolerate major inconvenience, sacrifice, and putting our lives on the line for things to change. Deep down, we know we need to do these things, but fear keeps us in line. Doesn't matter what country. It's the same everywhere. Just because the U.S. has more money doesn't necessarily mean we're less corrupt. It's just the corruption is better hidden and being a richer country makes things look better on the surface of things.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:45 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
If you saw the Mexican governments response to hurricane Odile in Cabo San Lucas, you would wonder why the US government couldn't get it's act together to deal with natural disasters.

It was a wonderful thing.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:41 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times
Country wide gentrification? Never.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:39 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:

Rephrased, if you don't mind! To me, U.S. corrupt politicians act like they're trying to improve the U.S., and pretend to be completely blind from what everyone outside the U.S. sees is wrong.

The whole world needs to put pressure on the U.S. or something!

Mr. Mexican-American needs to get his eyes examined and look around the U.S. and see the "Mexican" parts of the U.S. like the poverty-stricken areas of our larger cities, including Texas, the deep South and the Appalachian mountain district.

When the more civilized travelers came to the U.S., when it was a 3rd world country, for a long period of time, and with the accompanying corruption, they were shocked!

"Why doesn't NYC have a subway? London has had one since the 1850's!" Why? Those that had a monopoly on the ferry system, the elevated trains, and the bus owners fought against it!

"Why are there so many structural defects in NYC's City Hall?" Why? Mayor Boss Tweed got the voters to approve $9 million in bonds to build it, and he only spent $2 million and pocketed the rest!

"Why are city workers always repainting their light poles?" Why? Patronage jobs, which were also endemic to Chicago under their corrupt Mayor Richard J Daley! Use paint that will wash off in the next rainstorm! Keeps the city workers busy doing nothing!

Today, the corruption is more invisible, but still there! Same thing will happen to Mexico one day, the more blatant examples of corruption will disappear, replaced by invisible corruption!

Old 10-21-2014, 06:18 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,663,647 times
Have you been to Detroit? In fact have you been to most of Michigan? or Arkansas or other rural parts of the South? Have you been to east LA? Have you passed time in any major US city where the disenfranchised minorities live? Again, have you been to Detroit?

Most people outside of the area are unaware just how ridiculously bad it has gotten. Not just singular houses or buildings... or even streets, but an entire city... [url=http://content.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1882089_1850974,00.html]Detroit's Beautiful, Horrible Decline - Photo Essays - TIME[/url]

Also, have you been to Mexico City? Have you been to Acapulco or Puerta Vallarta or Cancun? Have you been to Queretaro? Again, have you been to Mexico City? Probably Monterrey too? Not unlike here, wealth is concentrated.

I was there as recently as two months ago and as an affluent American I was blown away by the development I'm seeing in the country's wealthy hot spots. If your experience is limited to the border towns outside of Texas then I'm sorry my friend, you don't know Mexico.

Corruption? Yep, it's there, it's here. Unfortunately American inequality is starting to mirror Mexico instead of the other way around. In fact you don't understand the atrocities of our own government because it's as the poster above me said, it's invisible. Have you seen the new movie out called Kill the Messenger? You should also research Edward Bernays and see what kind of rabbit hole that will send you down, watch The Century of Self.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:21 PM

6,496 posts, read 7,525,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Also, have you been to Mexico City? Have you been to Acapulco or Puerta Vallarta or Cancun? Have you been to Queretaro? Again, have you been to Mexico City? Probably Monterrey too? .
I would say no. Like many Tejanos or TexMex people, I would bet the OP has never been any place in Mexico other than Reynosa, Juarez, Matamoros, Piedras Negras, Acuna, or Nv. Laredo. This too was the case with me 10 years ago and I would have made the same judgements back then, very much like the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico