Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2009, 10:34 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,449,461 times

Advertisements

(CNN) -- Mexico City, one of Latin America's largest metropolises, on Monday legalized same-sex marriage and adoption by same-sex couples. By a vote of 39 to 20, the city's legislative assembly approved revisions to the civil code to permit same-sex marriages. Five legislators abstained.

In a separate motion, the assembly voted 31 to 24 in favor of legalizing adoption by same-sex couples, with nine abstentions.
The revision will change the definition of marriage to a union between two people, instead of the current version, which specifies a union between a man and a woman.
Civil groups in favor and opposed to the vote had gathered since early in the morning outside the legislative building.
In 2007, the legislators approved same-sex civil unions.
Mexico City is the second major Latin American city to legalize same-sex marriage.

Mexico City legalizes same-sex marriage, adoptions - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 08:12 PM

23,294 posts, read 29,154,987 times
The divorce attorney's lobby group must have really pushed extra hard on this one, just as they are doing anywhere in the world, as the institution of marriage crumbles.

I'm Gay, and all my Gay friends are opposed to Gay marriage. What else truly explains this phonemena?

I stand opposed to the entire institution of marriage.

Now you'll even have heterosexual men & women/gold diggers, frequenting the Gay bars in Mexico City hoping to strike "oil" some night.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:09 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,965,701 times
Gay bars in Mexico City? You bet there are.

When living there did by chance visit one (unknowingly) with a couple of friends. I should have noticed after seeing a man who talked to us at the bottom of the stairs going up to the bar. His actions were definetly gay (no offense intended). His way of speaking and hands moving was a give away.

We went upstairs and sat at a table (many of the bars were upstairs as were some discos) and were waiting to order a drink when the music started to play and people were starting to dance.

Did not pay much attention untill....wait a minute...there were NO girls dancing...just men with each other...dang...a Gay bar.

We held off on the drinks and left.

Did see a Gay Pride parade on TV with what was supposed to be about 5000 people. Never thought that there would be that many in the city...then again with over 20 mil people anything is possible.

Steve

Old 12-29-2009, 09:20 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,048,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Did see a Gay Pride parade on TV with what was supposed to be about 5000 people. Never thought that there would be that many in the city...then again with over 20 mil people anything is possible.
I did a google and there were 1,500 cops at the 09 MXC parade.. Im sure there were a lot more than 5,000..

A friend of mine dragged her husband to a gay bar in South Beach.. and he never felt so unattractive and invisible in his life.. LOL,,, she was in heaven though..

Old 12-30-2009, 08:33 AM

972 posts, read 3,930,362 times
This will cost much to the PRD, go against the opinion of the majority will have an adverse reaction to them in the next election.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_inombrable View Post
This will cost much to the PRD, go against the opinion of the majority will have an adverse reaction to them in the next election.
I agree, and hopefully we'll vote the PRD out of the DF on the next elections.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:22 AM

758 posts, read 2,244,567 times
Not likely. Mexico City will always lean far left, even when it doesn't make sense to.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:27 PM

true, i'm pretty liberal myself, but the PRD is not left it is a disease LOL they only suck the budget dry to give "stuff" to their clients erhmm should I say voters? Mexican coorporativism 100% PRI style but worse.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:45 AM

983 posts, read 1,638,841 times
Glad this law passed. I don't think it will have such a big cost, all the right-wingers in DF live in the same areas that are already PAN (Alvaro Obregon, Cuajimalpa, Miguel Hidalgo)... They'll keep dominating.

Only a Lopez Obrador left spin-off could kick PRD out of Mexico City.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:54 AM

I'm glad the law passed too, but the truth is that Mexico is still a fairly conservative and closed minded society, even in Mexico city which is the most progressive city of the country, and most of the voters of the PRD come from the poorest and least educated sectors, who tend to be the most conservative of all because of the huge influence the catholic church has over them.

If they just had passed the law and remain silent it wouldn't have been a big deal, but Marcelo Ebrard decided to attack the catholic church (which imho is the epitome of corruption, hippocrisy and backwards thinking) but for most Mexicans specially those who are poor it is something sacred.

Besides that the PRD is not really left wing, it is the bad copy of the PRI they reproduce exactly the same tactics that enabled the PRI to rule for such a long period of time.

Not so long ago Lopez Obrador legalized most pirate taxis in the city, this was a slap in the face to all those taxi drivers who did the right thing and went through the right channels, and this encourages more ilegality and the entitlement culture that has done so bad to this country, oh but it surely got them a lot of votes

He also legalized lands that were Ecological reserves but that were invaded by poor immigrants who came from impoverished regions to Mexico city and built precarious homes there, risking the collapse of an already heavily polluted city with few green areas, all to "help" the poor.

Mexican messiah: Andrés Manuel López ... - Google Books

Now the PRD Amlo and Marcelo are protecting the Luz y Fuerza syndicate, these guys were nothing more than parasites that were given unfair privileges during the PRI era, because of them, Energy services in the central area of Mexico were lousy, expensive and dangerous, they also costed thousand of millions of pesos to the tax payers, even though when most of the "workers" of this never worked but were paid, this phenomenon in Mexico is known as aviadores (people who "works" for the government and get pay but do nothing) they learnt well from the PRI these practices.

Since the closing of Luz y Fuerza, Lopez Obrador has stated that he will maintain a defense of the SME. Nevertheless, this is a highly unpopular cause to defend, and it might end up further damaging his image with the electorate, particularly if there any bursts of radicalism and violence that might result from upcoming protests.
In the end, the PRD will be paying the price of radicalism via their association with AMLO. As such, the longer the SME maintains its resistance, the more harm the party will suffer. In this view, the elimination of Luz y Fuerza might even renew internal frictions: with the pragmatic factions wanting to remain on the sidelines and the radicals (i.e. AMLO loyalists) trying to protect the fate of the SME.

The End of Luz y Fuerza: Recap, Analysis, and Ramifications

These social groups and others with the blessing of the PRD hold the city and their citizens hostages everytime they decide to manifest, the entire city's traffic collapses because they block the main avenues in order to "protest" Manifestations should be the norm in a democratic society but they should be regulated, because other's people rights should be respected in a democratic society, marches should have an schedule and designated areas, otherwise the only thing they do is to alienate the rest of the citizens and create aversion on them instead of being listened.

The PRD allows these people to make mexico city their hostage because they are the PRD soldiers they are called to all the meetings and reunions of the PRD and their "legitimate president" this practice known as acarreo was one of the worst parts of the revolutionary regime created by the PRI.

And finally in an example of total disregard for democratic values, Lopez Obrador wanted to impose a candidate for one of Mexico city's poorest and most populated districts (Iztapalapa) but the federal elections institute denied the request because this girl was a Salvadorian citizen who was illegally in Mexico, but rules aren't made for tropical messiahs like lopez obrador, so he got a guy he thought could be easily manipulated and asked him to run for elections, he was elected and then he was convinced to resign and put Clara Brugada as his substitute, Lopez Obrador never thought that this guy would actually rebel against him and would make AMLO look like the clown he is.

The Rag Blog: Tragicomedy in Mexico City : Clown Prince Juanito Calls it Quits

In congress the only thing that the PRD knows to do is to oppose to every reform attempt by the federal government, they say NO to everything but they don't offer real alternatives or solutions, they only make hollow promises and tell their followers fairy tales, as most followers of the PRD are poor, desperate and lack enough education to understand about economics or other things they believe them, but they are promising exactly the same things the PRI promised during decades, these hollow promises just destroyed Mexico's economy and living standards and made her a third world nation, when after WWII this was one of the richest countries on earth.

I believe that Mexico needs a real left party in order to maintain the balance, as much as I dislike the PRD I dislike the PAN for it's hippocrisy, but it's the least worse of the 3 major parties of this country, while the PRD is getting worse and worse, make no mistake if AMLO was the president this country would have collapsed already, he is just another Hugo Chavez.

For all these reasons PRD's power and influence in Mexico city has been dwindling, PRD's strenght in the congress has disminished too and the next elections they might loose control of Mexicos city's government for the sake of all of us chilangos I hope so.

Last edited by Travelling fella; 01-12-2010 at 12:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico