Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 10:22 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times

Advertisements

I disagree. Why would he use a verb form that is seldom taught to Spanish students and might not even in their textbook?

Say they want to look up poder on Spanishdict here https://www.spanishdict.com/conjugate/puede show me where on that page is vos podés?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2020, 11:09 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
If that's the way he learned than that is the proper way. Millions of Latin Americans use it. WHo the **** are you to tell some they shouldn't speak the way they learned Spanish?

Old 01-15-2020, 11:04 PM

Nope. People grow up learning "ain't" it doesn't make it the proper way just because that's how they learned it.

I'm not telling anyone how to speak, I'm responding to a post from someone who was reflecting on what they should change from their Colombian speaking patterns to maintain proper neutral dialect suitable for teaching Spanish as a second language in USA. That would include dropping voseo.

Old 01-15-2020, 11:10 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Nope. People grow up learning "ain't" it doesn't make it the proper way just because that's how they learned it.

I'm not telling anyone how to speak, I'm responding to a post from someone who was reflecting on what they should change from their Colombian speaking patterns to maintain proper neutral dialect suitable for teaching Spanish as a second language in USA. That would include dropping voseo.
The "ain't" example is terrible, Vos is proper. Who said it was not neutral? Like I said millions of people use it. Any Spanish speaker would understand it even if they don't use it. It's not like they wouldn't use tu or usted. For some one learning it would be good to know these things.

Last edited by UrbanLuis; 01-15-2020 at 11:47 PM..

Old 01-16-2020, 06:28 AM

Is voseo commonly taught to Spanish as 2nd language students?
Why is it not shown on most conjugation charts?
Does voseo appear on standardized Spanish placement/achievement tests like DELE?
Do Spanish textbooks used in USA teach voseo?
Do popular online conjugation apps use voseo?

There isn't some grand conspiracy to hide voseo from the masses, it's just very likely his teaching materials will not include voseo and since he stated his goal is to use the appropriate general Spanish he's best dropping vos.

Old 01-16-2020, 09:47 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,372,290 times
If I taught Spanish at basic levels in the US, I’d emphasize the usage of tu and ustedes and their respective conjugations, but I’d also teach the variants, as they are an integral part of the language.

If I taught Spanish at basic levels in Europe, I’d emphasize the usage of tu and vosotros and their respective conjugations, but I’d also teach the variants.

If I taught Spanish at basic levels in Southern Brazil, I’d emphasize the usage of vos and ustedes and their respective conjugations, but I’d also teach the variants.

For people who are just learning the language, having them familiar with the speech they will find most in their surroundings seems the most practical to me.

If I taught Spanish at advanced levels everywhere, pronouns and conjugations are supposed to be something already learned, so students would have to listen to my regular speech.

Old 01-17-2020, 08:38 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,034,738 times
If I end up teaching Spanish, I think I´d include test questions about how vos is used, what regions of the Hispanophone world it is used...same for vosotros.

I don´t think I´d bother to teach the conjugations, either...maybe I´d show them the charts of how its conjugated, but never ask them to study or apply it on a test. I certainly would never use it when speaking in class.

That sound reasonable to most of you? I´d expect my students to remember it down the line in the hopes that they wouldn´t freak out and be totally confused if they heard it.

Old 01-17-2020, 11:04 AM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
If I end up teaching Spanish, I think I´d include test questions about how vos is used, what regions of the Hispanophone world it is used...same for vosotros.

I don´t think I´d bother to teach the conjugations, either...maybe I´d show them the charts of how its conjugated, but never ask them to study or apply it on a test. I certainly would never use it when speaking in class.

That sound reasonable to most of you? I´d expect my students to remember it down the line in the hopes that they wouldn´t freak out and be totally confused if they heard it.
It does sound reasonable to me; it's enough for the students to recognize these forms. Of course, it makes the most sense is to emphasize the dialect of the language that your students are most likely to come into contact with. It would be silly for schools in the southern and western US to expect students to master all the particulars of Castilian Spanish, when they are surrounded by people speaking Mexican dialects, but at least they should be aware that other varieties of Spanish exist.

Old 01-28-2020, 05:35 PM

626 posts, read 1,240,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Drop that "vos" if you've got one.
Out of curiosity, have you been to or listened to the Spanish spoken in the Central American or the Andean regions of South America?
The "voseo" is widely used.

Carry on.

Old 02-01-2020, 02:38 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,557,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
He also allowed us to forego learning the "vosotros" forms but I think he was wrong in that regard. Better to learn them and never use them, than not to learn them and wish you had.
There are a lot of archaic tenses. Also Mexicans are more likely to use the informal future, also called the periphrastic future (el futuro perifrástico ), which is formed with the verb ir (to go).

Compare the two forms in the table below.

Simple Future
Estudiaré mucho mañana.
I will study a lot tomorrow.

Informal Future Spanish
Voy a estudiar mucho mañana.
I am going to study a lot tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico