Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 07:31 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,254,701 times

Advertisements

PS you should be fine with just a drivers liscence. Crossing the border is fairly easy still.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2007, 07:58 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,917,743 times
I go to Mnty 3 or 4 times a year. I take the bus. I go for the week end tours...cost is cheap, takes the same drive time, includes downtown hotel and very easy to get across and return at the border. You need a passport to make it easy.
The bus costs aboout 185 USD including hotel per person. Check out OK tours. I use them but there are others.
The roads in MX are better, but the hassle of taking your own car is not worth the effort.
Enjoy!
I love Mnty.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:24 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,474,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySA View Post
PS you should be fine with just a drivers liscence. Crossing the border is fairly easy still.
Where do you usually cross at?!

Old 02-09-2007, 10:29 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,917,743 times
I have been to Monterry several times and I always go on the bus. There are several bus companies in San Antonio that run 3 day trips to Monterry on a regular basis. They leave on Friday morning and return on Sunday. It's the same amount of time as driving yourself, 6 hours, cheaper becasue you have no insurance needs and you don't need a car in Mnty. The bus companies travel so often, they get you across the border in record time, both ways.
The bus trip includes the stay in a good downtown hotel, 5 star. And when I'm going for a 3 day weekend, the relaxation is better when it starts at the beginning of the trip.
The bus companies run side trips while there to tour the city highlights and the mountains. I've been so often, I just go on my own and don't take the tours any more.
It's a very safe metropolotan city.
The tour company I use is OK tours.(am I allowed to say that?)

Old 02-20-2007, 08:20 PM

642 posts, read 2,558,927 times
I would seriously deter you from driving into te interior of Mexico especially on your own. Im sure many times nothing happens but it just tales one terrible incident to realize you are no longer in America. I love Mexico but might as well keep yourself safe and deal with the airlines.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:55 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,582,068 times
My two cents worth: Used to go to Nueva Loredo about 4 times year about 4 years ago and earlier years. Now--after hearing about drug wars in that area--would not go there unless I called the Mexican Consulate first and got a reading on safety there as an American. Call me sissy, but would rather be safe than sorry.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:49 PM

104 posts, read 450,326 times
Drive. Before getting to Laredo, exit to the international bridge at Colombo. It's a toll highway, but it's a lot faster (almost no time spent at the border), and safer. You avoid having to go through Nuevo Laredo, which is pretty dangerous. Once you get to the Mexican side, take the toll highway. It's wide, safe, nice highway, and being busy, I seriously doubt that's where the banditos strike.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:01 AM

609 posts, read 2,121,026 times
Driving is no problem. I have done it dozens of times. Just get on the toll road at Nuevo Laredo to Monterrey, cost about $20. Also $22 to pay at the border crossing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico