Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 01:47 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,043,730 times

Advertisements

Do Mexicans feel welcomed by Mexican Americans?
Do Mexican Americans feel welcomed by Mexicans?

Why the separation? Arent we all one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 07:21 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post

Different cultures for the most part.

US born/raised 'Mexican' Americans (of any actual race) are closer as a group to other Americans of Irish, Hungarian. Italian, Japanese, etc. heritage than to Mexicans born/raised SOB.

For that matter: a person born/raised in England of 'Mexican' lineage is still English------------not Hispanic.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:06 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Quote:

Mexicans are Americans, and Mexican Americans are Americans too last I knew. If you were born on a different continent, then you are not American.

Just kidding of course... anyone born in North or South America is an American.

Your questions are vague, can you be more specific? I think any decent person, regardless of ethnicity is generally welcoming, for example.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:13 AM

972 posts, read 3,924,625 times
Quote:
Yes, usually if that interact with mexico-Americans who are part of your family, on the negative side, one could say that mexico-americans with a degree of authority to treat bad to Mexicans in the USA.

Since the border patrol, police, guards, etc.. It is well known that mexico-americans are even more racist against mexicans than Americans wueros.

Quote:

I guess they are, when they are with his family, but outside it they are treated with discrimination because do not speak good Spanish, because they presume that the USA is much better than Mexico, its traditions, ETC.

Quote:
I tell you why, even our roots are the same, we are not equal.

Mexicans in the United States will tell you that the USA is the best of all land, the land of opportunity, yet living in poverty in USA they know there are better than in Mexico.

For Mexicans who stayed in Mexico seems to us that the culture in the U.S. is extremely materialistic, presumably to others what you have and very hollow.

Mexicans in the U.S. have established a particular grudge against the Mexicans who are living in their country that they chose to live in their land and do well.

Mexicans in Mexico have a grudge against those who went to USA for they know they are working for another country, instead of helping him to move up.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:52 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Who is all one? It's different countries, different language, different cultures.

It's weird because you don't see white people looking at a European and thinking they are some kind of "brother". They are viewed as tourists, visitors, or immigrants from a foreign country.

I think because in the USA, we don't see kinship just because some kind of race. We don't feel we're closely related to people we aren't related to at all.

Many people labeled as "Mexican-American" never lived in Mexico at all, their families never lived there. At best they may have some great great great great grandparents who came from Spain, maybe mixed with Indians who also never lived in the country of Mexico. I realized how short the bonds might be when someone asked a woman here if she had many relatives still in Mexico. She angryily snapped that how could she, because her grandparents were either born in the USA or came as children, all her aunts and uncles, parents, cousins lived here, she had no relatives at all in Mexico.

I think many "Mexican Americans" or whatever they want to be called resent being identified with a foreign country they've never stepped foot in, maybe never will. I used to find it funny because so many "Mexican Americans" were almost horrified that I would travel into Mexico because they wouldn't and that was when things were not bad at all over there.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_inombrable View Post
For Mexicans who stayed in Mexico seems to us that the culture in the U.S. is extremely materialistic, presumably to others what you have and very hollow.

Mexicans in the U.S. have established a particular grudge against the Mexicans who are living in their country that they chose to live in their land and do well.

Mexicans in Mexico have a grudge against those who went to USA for they know they are working for another country, instead of helping him to move up.
I can see that to some extent -- but I would think it would be different with truly American-hispanics whose roots in the USA go so far back that no one could really see them as ever abandoning Mexico versus those who recently left.

I think recent emigrants could be harder to "love" because I know some really do like to go back and show off how they've "made it". I knew one guy who would say that he liked to go over to Juarez and pull out a big wad of dollars and watch their eyes pop out -- but his parents came directly from Mexico but he was born here.

You're right though -- one guy from somewhere south of Ciudad Juarez told me when his family came, he was in high school and he didn't want to come. In school, the Americans (including hispanics) who spoke English paid no attention to him at all but he was picked on and ridiculed by other Mexicans who themselves had immigrated only years before so they felt "with it" and felt he was clueless and stupid, "old country".

Old 01-23-2009, 12:44 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,043,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Mexicans are Americans, and Mexican Americans are Americans too last I knew. If you were born on a different continent, then you are not American.
That is what I'm saying...LOL

Actually, I know that Mexicans are generally very welcoming people. Sometimes too welcoming and that is why they are taken advantage of.

As far as Mexican Americans, they just want to be accepted by Mexicans but it seems like they have to pay a high price sometimes. I'm not saying that Mexican Americans are not welcomed. They are for the most part. However, they are held at much higher expectations due to the fact that their roots are from Mexico...so they should know who they are and where they came from...language and how to behave in social settings.

The more generations that have passed as American born, the more you are seen as a tourist rather than a Mexican. If you are first or second generation visiting, Mexicans do tend to look down on you for not speaking the language, etc.

Back when I was growing up, it was very common to hear the word "pocho". I hear from another thread that it is still common to use it in the border. It is not so much common in the region where I come from. Now they say "Norteno" or "Viene del norte". I do have to say that the word pocho felt degrading. You are not considered Mexican and you are not considered American. You are some word that does not even exist in the dictionary. Till this day, I dont know what it actually means.

On the other hand, being a Mexican in the states comes with its own set of stereotypes. You are mocked when you speak english, how you dress, etc.

I do believe though and I say it as a Mexican American, that even though we are in the states, if we want to be considered Mexican we should strive to preserve our heritage. We should learn where we came from, learn the language and know at least the basics of our history. If we want to be accepted we should do our part and show that we are interested and respect our culture.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:41 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Quote:
That is what I'm saying...LOL

Actually, I know that Mexicans are generally very welcoming people. Sometimes too welcoming and that is why they are taken advantage of.

As far as Mexican Americans, they just want to be accepted by Mexicans but it seems like they have to pay a high price sometimes. I'm not saying that Mexican Americans are not welcomed. They are for the most part. However, they are held at much higher expectations due to the fact that their roots are from Mexico...so they should know who they are and where they came from...language and how to behave in social settings.

The more generations that have passed as American born, the more you are seen as a tourist rather than a Mexican. If you are first or second generation visiting, Mexicans do tend to look down on you for not speaking the language, etc.

Back when I was growing up, it was very common to hear the word "pocho". I hear from another thread that it is still common to use it in the border. It is not so much common in the region where I come from. Now they say "Norteno" or "Viene del norte". I do have to say that the word pocho felt degrading. You are not considered Mexican and you are not considered American. You are some word that does not even exist in the dictionary. Till this day, I dont know what it actually means.

On the other hand, being a Mexican in the states comes with its own set of stereotypes. You are mocked when you speak english, how you dress, etc.

I do believe though and I say it as a Mexican American, that even though we are in the states, if we want to be considered Mexican we should strive to preserve our heritage. We should learn where we came from, learn the language and know at least the basics of our history. If we want to be accepted we should do our part and show that we are interested and respect our culture.
Agreed. We were called phochos all the time, especially when people would see the license plates on our car, from Texas. We (kids) were first generation US citizens, and we were looked at and spoken to in a derogatory manner without even opening our mouths. Interestingly, these were the people in the small towns we used to pass through. Even more funny, these are not small towns anymore... Jimenez, Delicias, etc.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:51 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,434,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Agreed. We were called phochos all the time, especially when people would see the license plates on our car, from Texas. We (kids) were first generation US citizens, and we were looked at and spoken to in a derogatory manner without even opening our mouths. Interestingly, these were the people in the small towns we used to pass through. Even more funny, these are not small towns anymore... Jimenez, Delicias, etc.
It is weird huh? I don't know why people expect things from others LOL, If you have ancestors who came from Mexico that doesn't automatically makes you learn the language or the culture, it is unfair that people expects you to do.

On the other hand some times while in Los Angeles, I went to the downtown to the stores, everybody was speaking spanish there, so I spoke to the clerk in spanish and he gave me a strange look and told me, why are you speaking to me in spanish, and I said because I'm from Mexico, and he was like oh really?? you don't look that mexican LOL

I guess that Mexico or mexicans are so stereotyped that people get surprised when you don't fit in the stereotype

Old 01-23-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
It is weird huh? I don't know why people expect things from others LOL, If you have ancestors who came from Mexico that doesn't automatically makes you learn the language or the culture, it is unfair that people expects you to do.

On the other hand some times while in Los Angeles, I went to the downtown to the stores, everybody was speaking spanish there, so I spoke to the clerk in spanish and he gave me a strange look and told me, why are you speaking to me in spanish, and I said because I'm from Mexico, and he was like oh really?? you don't look that mexican LOL

I guess that Mexico or mexicans are so stereotyped that people get surprised when you don't fit in the stereotype

That's much of the problem. It's the kind of people who represent Mexico to most Americans. Most Americans aren't going to see the proud patriotic Mexicans who work and live in Mexico, who are trying hard to make their country a great place. They see the ones who left Mexico, who traded patria for American dollars.

It's also these people who paint the worst image of Mexico. They make excuses for leaving the country they claim to love because everyone in Mexico is starving to death, they're the ones telling people it's terrible in Mexico they can never be sent back home or they'll die of hunger. They don't come here because they want to be American but they never again want to live in Mexico and be a true part of that country. It's just too bad there's so much money here for them because that's all it's about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico