Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 01:33 PM

16 posts, read 64,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexinmty. View Post
Hi there,I currently reside in San Pedro, but lived in the us all my life. San Pedro is defenetly the best area to live in if coming from us. Not to mention that its the most expensive but worth it. I heard someone say cumbres, its the second choice. If putting your kids into school private schools is the best option you do not want to go with public schools, and note that the private schools are really expensive.....Good luck...

HI, We are looking a Moving to the San Pedro area next year.... We hope to Rent a place to live as we will only be staying in Mexico for about 1 to 1 1/2 years max... So I was Planning on Homeschooling my 4year old.... however I still want in to have contact with other children etc, is there much in the San pedro area where he can get together with others (organised sports outside of school etc) bearing in mind none of us speak any spanish yet... still working on the problem

TY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 10:19 AM

3 posts, read 29,124 times
Ty,

We will be moving there by August 1st. I will post information that I find once we are there. Hopefully it will help you out when you move. Three of my kids will be going to school this fall. I know that the private schools start young and provide an exceptional bilingual education. Good luck and I will update for you.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:29 PM

6 posts, read 28,062 times
Greetings,

I am a Canadian living in Monterrey and have stumbled across this thread. First off, living in San Pedro is probably your best move in regard to living the "fine" life as it is regarded as upper class only. However be aware that there are different parts of San Pedro and the "not so upper class" area. The price of the rent should tell you whether you are in the nice part or not. For the first year I would recommend San Pedro so you get the feel of the city and if you can get work to pay for it than by all means San Pedro. But you can get much more bang for the buck if you go outside of San Pedro and try San Jeronimo, Cumbres, Contry or Las Lajas Monterrey.
In terms of schooling there are many options but by far you would want your children to go to ASFM ( The American School Foundation of Monterrey). It is pricey, but regarded as the best. San Roberto is also well recognized.
Feel free to ask any questions regarding your move to Monterrey and I will be more than willing to assist you!

Old 06-08-2009, 06:49 PM

6 posts, read 28,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmilwaukee View Post
We are definately relocating and will be coming the beginning of August. Have found a few places to rent the first year in Garza Garcia and are flying down to check them out in two weeks. We will be visiting the schools. Have researched a lot and talked with some friends in Monterrey. We are looking at bilingual schools because we want the kids to pick up a second language. The schools seem great. Does anyone know about Brillamont or San Roberto. Those two are our top choices. What about a gym? Saw a Ballys, but wondering if there are any other choices. Also, how is La Cima area of Garza Garcia. Are there differences in the areas within Garza Garcia? Thanks for the help.

...........Brillamont and San Roberto are very nice schools. In regards to a gym, there is a chain of female only gyms across the city called Super Fitness. I think you are referring to La Cima de Las Lajas when you say La Cima area of Garza Garcia. This is a very nice area with nice houses and close to everything you need. It is in the San Jeronimo/Cumbres area and is just as nice as San Pedro within the same price range.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:26 AM

2 posts, read 7,996 times
Hi, i just joined this forum, and I thought I should might a few things (hopefully helpful)...
I'm not Mexican but my husband is, and I moved to Monterrey a year and a half ago... I have a two year old daughter and am looking for schools too... my first choice is American School Foundation of Monterrey (colegio Monterrey), and second is the American Institute of Monterrey. These schools teach in english, and have alot of foreign students and parents. I don't speak much spanish at all (yet), and I really want an english speaking school for my daughter.
Another thing regarding the language... i read above that someone mentioned that people speak english here... i just wanted to mention that that is not the case. Nowhere do they speak english... infact other than a few best sellers, you can't even find an english book here. Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice, modern and safe city... amazing malls, restaurants etc... but there's no english.
Anyways, about a neighbourhood, San Pedro is definitely the best. I live there (Bosques del Valle), and there's no where else I'd want to move.... it's the safest district (in a safe city).
I have a question of my own though... does anyone know of any english-speaking activities here? like a book club or anything else?

Old 07-02-2009, 08:43 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,937,047 times
It is ironic when a person moves (goes) to another foreign they expect English to be spoken.

After all the (said) country has their own language be what it may be.

There are a few who through some contact or other will pick up a few English words...other then that...nothing.

As an American I live in Baja and once in a while a person will ask me in Spanish "habla espanol" you speak Spanish and my answer is "mas o menos" more or less. So it comes down to the fact I'm required to speak Spanish which is rightly so. After all that is the language of the country. Only English spoken around here is by other Americans to each other.

Steve

Old 07-02-2009, 10:16 AM

2 posts, read 7,996 times
I never said that I expected English to be spoken... I was just clarifying a claim that someone else had made regarding english being spoken here.
As a matter of fact I am currently taking Spanish classes.... so don't be too quick to lecture.
And niether am I American nor is English my first language.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:45 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,937,047 times
SORRY...NO lecture intended...just a fact of reality.

When in Rome...do as the Romans do.

My second language was English.

Without any Spanish classes I try to get along without any complaints from the locals.

Having lived in Mexico City with a Mexican wife and friends did learn a lot about Mexico.

Needless to say...every person is different.

Steve

Old 08-25-2009, 05:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,865 times
Look ASFM (American School Foundation) is a very good choice but at the same time is too expensive, what I could recomend is to send your daughter to a school that is closer to your house, and that is cheaper but at the same time good. Good choices could be Brillamont, San Roberto, and Colegio Ingles, Im in Ninth grade in Brillamont and there is where I learned english. So a good choice could be that one.

And about the books problem i have it too I need to go to the states to buy books in english. XD

Old 08-27-2009, 08:35 AM

3 posts, read 10,560 times
Also as i didnt notice anyone mention the weather, if you come from a place were the weather is what you call "nice" Monterrey has really hot summers, and cold winters, and is also famous for having wild weather changes mid-seasons....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico