Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 04:20 PM

16 posts, read 64,835 times

Advertisements

Hi all

it looks like we may be relocating Mexico in Aug next year.... does anyone know of the area, where is best to live (my husbands work will be in Monterrey) Also interested in International Schools for my 2 boys, 4yrs and 2yrs

Please as much info possible, only just starting out on research, also crime rates would be nice.

Ty, any info would be great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 04:52 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,434,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gryff31 View Post
Hi all

it looks like we may be relocating Mexico in Aug next year.... does anyone know of the area, where is best to live (my husbands work will be in Monterrey) Also interested in International Schools for my 2 boys, 4yrs and 2yrs

Please as much info possible, only just starting out on research, also crime rates would be nice.

Ty, any info would be great
It depends on your budget, if you have deeppockets a neighboorhood like Colonia del Valle would be ideal for you, otherwise Cumbres is another nice neighboorhood.

regarding schools can't help you much, but I do know that Monterrey has top notch schools, perhaps our friend el_inombrable can help you more than I, regards

Old 04-08-2009, 11:26 AM

972 posts, read 3,924,625 times
San Pedro Garza Garcia is the best place in Monterrey to an american to live, but is expensive, another good zone is in the south, from contry to valle alto, several communities, some of them ¨only americans¨ son you can fit on then, for schools try Colegio Americano de Monterrey, check with your US consulate for best information.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:12 AM

3 posts, read 29,105 times
Default Moving to Monterrey

We find out this week if we are relocating there also. My husband went to college in Monterrey, but has been living in the US since then. We are moving with our 4 kids (10 years - 2mos) and also need to find schools. We want our younger ones to go to spanish speaking schools(private), but our older son will need a bilingual school. We have been looking in the Garza Garcia area, but will be making a couple of trips before August to determine the best area. Looking to rent for the first year, but then intend on buying. This move might be permanent. Any information on the area would be great. It is hard to get day to day living info on the internet. Thanks in advance for any information.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:28 PM

33 posts, read 166,298 times
It all depends on how much money you want to spend.

There is everything you could ever want in Monterrey, but it all comes at a price. Hospitals, private schools, health clubs, fine wine it is all here, but at a premium. I have lived here for 6 years and it aint cheap if you want to live American standards.

The plus side is it is really an easy place to live, safe, nice people, lots of good jobs (i.e. a large middle class) etc. I would say it is safer than most of the large American cities overall. Don't listen to the all the bad news reports about Mexico, Monterrey is an oasis. Most people speak English (even at the Starbucks) and people will welcome you.

You will have to deal with the heat though, it is brutal.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:19 PM

16 posts, read 64,835 times
Hi, its looks like we are definately moving Mexico aswell, prob, June, July next year... If it still looks like your going and find any good sources of information, tip, advice regarding our move, please if you have time could you let us know... All I know so far is we will be moving to Monterrey, Schools needed for 2yrs and 4yrs boys... both English speaking. We are looking at renting as we only intend on stay for 2yrs max as part of husbands promotion..

TY

Old 05-14-2009, 01:53 PM

1 posts, read 12,510 times
A good organization to contact might be the [url=http://www.newcomersofmty.org/Home_Page.html]Newcomers Club of Monterrey.[/url]

" Newcomers of Monterrey is an International group of expatriates and others new to Monterrey. We are dedicated to helping with a smooth transition to living in Monterrey. Apart from our monthly informative meetings, we offer a survival guide, sponser sisters, book club, children's playgroups and other fun social events. It is a great way to meet new friends, some who are new to Monterrey, and others who have been here for years.
Newcomers of Monterrey takes pride in welcoming people from all over the world. We want to assist you in making a smooth transition and getting acclimated as best as we can here in Mexico.
We also encourage our members to learn about their new city, its culture, lifestyle, and to develop friendships by sharing interests and hobbies with each other. This is just an overview of what Newcomers has to offer its members."

Old 05-14-2009, 09:06 PM

33 posts, read 166,298 times
go to the American school. It is one of the best and they teach in English.

If you can get your work to pay for it, that would be the best option.

Renting a nice house in San Pedro will set you back around 1700 to 3000 USD per month plus utilities (which is high in the summer due to the AC). But once you live there, you will not want to leave.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:59 AM

3 posts, read 29,105 times
We are definately relocating and will be coming the beginning of August. Have found a few places to rent the first year in Garza Garcia and are flying down to check them out in two weeks. We will be visiting the schools. Have researched a lot and talked with some friends in Monterrey. We are looking at bilingual schools because we want the kids to pick up a second language. The schools seem great. Does anyone know about Brillamont or San Roberto. Those two are our top choices. What about a gym? Saw a Ballys, but wondering if there are any other choices. Also, how is La Cima area of Garza Garcia. Are there differences in the areas within Garza Garcia? Thanks for the help.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 12,519 times
Hi there,I currently reside in San Pedro, but lived in the us all my life. San Pedro is defenetly the best area to live in if coming from us. Not to mention that its the most expensive but worth it. I heard someone say cumbres, its the second choice. If putting your kids into school private schools is the best option you do not want to go with public schools, and note that the private schools are really expensive.....Good luck...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico