Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 12:34 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times

Advertisements

There seems to be a lot of articles in magazines and on the internet about U.S. retirees moving to Mexico. Do they retain U.S. citizenship or do they have dual citizenship or exactly how does that work? I was browsing through some of the homes that someone provided a site for and was so surprised to see that so many included maid service or maid's quarters. Is that common down there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2007, 12:38 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Retirees have been moving to Mexico since the notion of retirement was invented. Fixed-income dollars go a lot further down there, not to mention the attraction of a warm-weather climate. Think of it as retiring to Arizona on the cheap.

Retirees typically live there on the Mexican equivalent of a green card. Mexico is all too glad to issue them to Americans who have money to spend and want to spend it in Mexico.

Old 02-10-2007, 02:44 PM

81 posts, read 356,185 times
Although less common, I believe it is also possible for U.S. citizens to become citizens of Mexico, without giving up their U.S. citizenship.

Old 02-10-2007, 02:45 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Most nations do not require renunciation of citizenship in another nation in order to become a citizen. I don't believe Mexico requires it.

Old 02-10-2007, 03:02 PM

81 posts, read 356,185 times
I would not want to give up my U.S. citizenship!

Old 02-11-2007, 09:57 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
I'm with you. I'd never give up my citizenship. Thank you for the answers on this because I've heard of so many Americans who have retired to Mexico and I've wondered how that works.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:16 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,899,735 times
I am assuming they have PR status. That is just something that allows them to live there for a certain number of years or indefinitely. I have PR status in Germany. That is as far as it would ever go for me because Germany doesn't allow naturalized citizens to have dual citizenship. However, I am allowed to live here basically as long as I want through my husband.

Old 02-11-2007, 05:03 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,715,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
I am assuming they have PR status. That is just something that allows them to live there for a certain number of years or indefinitely. I have PR status in Germany. That is as far as it would ever go for me because Germany doesn't allow naturalized citizens to have dual citizenship. However, I am allowed to live here basically as long as I want through my husband.
I have to correct you on that. I have a dual citizenship and so do my parents (US and German). Under certain circumstances Germany will allow it. My children ,for example, are also allowed both passports because they were born in the US to a German mother.

Last edited by stmaarten; 02-11-2007 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 02-12-2007, 07:28 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,899,735 times
Yeah, you were born to at least one German parent or have some other birthright to German citizenship. I had no such luck not having any. Germany does not allow naturalized citizens to have dual citizenship. If you were lucky enough to be born German though, they make double standard exceptions. I know all about this. I have a dual citizen daughter. My husband can take US citizenship as a German as long as he writes somekind of explaination to the German authorities why he wants to keep his German citizenship. I can't do that as a US citizen wanting German citizenship without any birthright to it. Germany demands I give up any other foreign citizenships. That's just they way they are.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:15 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,715,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
Yeah, you were born to at least one German parent or have some other birthright to German citizenship. I had no such luck not having any. Germany does not allow naturalized citizens to have dual citizenship. If you were lucky enough to be born German though, they make double standard exceptions. I know all about this. I have a dual citizen daughter. My husband can take US citizenship as a German as long as he writes somekind of explaination to the German authorities why he wants to keep his German citizenship. I can't do that as a US citizen wanting German citizenship without any birthright to it. Germany demands I give up any other foreign citizenships. That's just they way they are.
You know, I realized that you were probably a United States citizen after I posted it. I agree with you, there are a lot of strange double standards... I'm not sure I would ever give up my German citizenship, although I only lived there for a total of about five years (I grew up in South Africa and now live in the US). So, I can imagine how tough it must be for you, especially if your children have diffrent citizenships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico