Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2013, 03:40 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,550,048 times

Advertisements

It's been about six hours that I've been running in and out of the bathroom tonight. I arrived in Mexico City on tuesday morning and this is my first case of "Mr". I didn't bring any medication to undo this stuff so I'm wondering if the people who at one point moved from a different country to Mexico can give me some easy, tried advice.

I've been eating at places where I see locals eat, and where money is not handled by the cooks. I have not eaten any raw vegetables or fruits other than cilantro, onions, and I suppose you could count aguas frescas. I don't easily get sick off food, so I'm hoping this was a one-off sanitary mishap or something. I also have only drank bottled water.

By the way, this place is fantastic and I cannot get over how big, expansive and mysterious it is.

Thanks.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:20 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,938,216 times
Hello! Sorry to hear this is happening to you. I lived in and around Mexico City for two years and it also happened to me---until I figured a few things out. First--get some loperamida (loperamide in English). It is an anti-diarrheal that should give you some relief. Also, once it's under control, continue to take 1/2 to 1 loperamide pill every day or every other day to keep it bay. Beware of the aguas frescas---it's likely that the drinks were not made with bottled water. Also, as good as it is, street food can wreak havoc on your intestinal system. Stay hydrated by drinking bottled water and by all means get some loperamida from la pharmacia. If you need any help with how to ask for it, contact me and I will help you with the Spanish. Good luck and enjoy your stay---I love Mexico City!!

Old 04-12-2013, 01:39 PM

3 posts, read 5,017 times
When eating on the street dont ask for aguas frescas instead just ask for closed sodas or bottled water. In restaurants aguas frecas are fine . When you are recovered, go and eat some tacos al pastor for me :'(

Old 04-12-2013, 09:36 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,165,790 times
I had diarrhea of varying degrees about half the time I was in Mexico. It was finally cured when I was staying at a friend's house and he found some Bactrim laying around

Old 04-12-2013, 09:39 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,500,438 times
Use pepto bismol, and go see Teotihuacan. Bring sunscreen. I'd skip the fresh squeezed juice too. If it's organic and not cooked, you're vulnerable.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:47 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,514,532 times
Take nothing, unless the problem persists. Let your body expel, handle the situation ... naturally. I believe that's the advice you'll get from a physician. It's the advice I've recieved ... for Mexico or elsewhere. There are many possible reasons for the problem, so pointing to one thing or another doesn't truly identify the source. I travel to Mexico frequently, and I lived in Mexico City for 6 years. I've rarely become ill there. My body adjusted to whatever new and different bacteria is found there, as compared to where I lived previously (in the USA). I spent a couple of weeks in Rio de Janeiro in March this year. My 4th or 5th visit. I got sick this time. In bed for a week. Go figure. I chalked it up to the law of averages. Bad luck. I got better, returned home and saw my physician and took some antibiotics for a week and all is well. If you continue to feel poorly see a physician in Mexico City.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Take nothing, unless the problem persists. Let your body expel, handle the situation ... naturally. I believe that's the advice you'll get from a physician. It's the advice I've recieved ... for Mexico or elsewhere. There are many possible reasons for the problem, so pointing to one thing or another doesn't truly identify the source. I travel to Mexico frequently, and I lived in Mexico City for 6 years. I've rarely become ill there. My body adjusted to whatever new and different bacteria is found there, as compared to where I lived previously (in the USA). I spent a couple of weeks in Rio de Janeiro in March this year. My 4th or 5th visit. I got sick this time. In bed for a week. Go figure. I chalked it up to the law of averages. Bad luck. I got better, returned home and saw my physician and took some antibiotics for a week and all is well. If you continue to feel poorly see a physician in Mexico City.
Don't lose too much fluid though. If you are puking and have diarreah for too long, you will lose too much fluid content, the volume of water in your blood will decrease, then your blood pressure will plummet, and then YOUR HEART WILL STOP. Be aware of this. Never lose too much fluid. If you find yourself losing too much too fast go to a hospital and get your blood pressure check. You may require a infusion and an anti-emetic injection.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:34 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,514,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
Don't lose too much fluid though. If you are puking and have diarreah for too long, you will lose too much fluid content, the volume of water in your blood will decrease, then your blood pressure will plummet, and then YOUR HEART WILL STOP. Be aware of this. Never lose too much fluid. If you find yourself losing too much too fast go to a hospital and get your blood pressure check. You may require a infusion and an anti-emetic injection.
Here's what I said:

Quote:
Take nothing, unless the problem persists.
Let's not be too melodramatic. Certainly, anyone with a persistent problem should seek medical advice. Each of us knows our own bodies, or malities, etc., and such decisions are personal and individual. What How I might react the next person may react much differently. Thanks.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Let's not be too melodramatic.
Sometimes melodrama is more memorable and helps people remember things worth remembering.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:22 AM

836 posts, read 2,953,327 times
The guy or is completely dehydrated or already recovered and is enjoying their holiday, not worth continuing with this thread...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico