Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2009, 11:06 AM

4 posts, read 21,032 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are planning on driving to mexico in december. I am really consern for our safety, specially now with all the drug cartels and everything that is going on. My question is, is it safe to drive to mexico during xmas time? have any of you done it during this time? what do you guys recomend.

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 04:41 PM

140 posts, read 267,892 times
There's no ice on the roads if that was part of your concern

Where are you going? I would not hang around the border and I would choose some crossing towns over others

Old 11-16-2009, 05:30 PM

54 posts, read 209,340 times
Don't hang out close to the border, but other than that it's fine.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:10 PM

23,298 posts, read 29,160,111 times
Why oh why, with the multitude of cheap public transportation options available in Mexico would you want to drive in Mexico?

I'm even weaning myself away from car travel in the U.S. Going to take an experimental vacation in December with a combination of flying, Greyhound buses and trains. No car for once!

Old 11-16-2009, 10:34 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,967,396 times
Have driven in Central Mexico during christmas week...the place is DEAD with most businesses closed for the week holiday.

Not sure how far or where your going as this would be a important factor.

Going into central Mexico make sure you have a spare tire and rim same as on the vehicle and NOT a doughnut spare. Tires New/Used are expensive all over.

Travel only during day lite hrs and NOT at night. Roads can be tricky at night...gas stations closed etc.

Never run the gas tank below the 1/4 mark...even carry a two gallon can full for any emergency...I know as I had a bad experience running out of gas.

Can give much more info after being in Mexico 16 yrs. Feel free to DM me.

Steve

Old 11-18-2009, 07:58 PM

4 posts, read 32,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMGCA View Post
Hello, we are planning on driving to mexico in december. I am really consern for our safety, specially now with all the drug cartels and everything that is going on. My question is, is it safe to drive to mexico during xmas time? have any of you done it during this time? what do you guys recomend.

Thank you!!
In your post you don't say where in Mexico, however, if you are talking Baja, yes it is safe. I live here full time and have for over three years. Don't believe everything in the media!!!

Old 12-10-2009, 05:41 PM

4 posts, read 21,032 times
We are going to Guadalajara, we are exiting the US through Nogales Sonora and drive down sinaloa and Nayarit.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:50 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,823,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMGCA View Post

Thank you!!
Mexico - Security Travel Alert (http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_4491.html - broken link)

I would recommend you read the travel warnings from the State Dept, and take the warnings seriously.

If you are Mexican and so speak the language fluently, including body language and know the ropes, it's completely different than if you are a naive American tourist that isn't familiar with some things.

Innocent American tourists are not being targetted in any way by the cartels and there are no reports of innocent American tourists being killed or physically harmed but there are carjackings and armed robberies in some places - that would probably be the biggest risk.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:12 PM

409 posts, read 2,636,658 times
You have to be carefull, the Chupacabras is on the loose!!!
No, but seriusly, it should not be that bad. If you speak spanish you should be fine. It also helps if you have a mexican behicle. Some corrupt cops might be attracted to you if they see USA plates and even more so If they realize you dont speak proper spanish. Try taking a spanish speaking person on your trip.

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico