Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 06:37 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,747,231 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I am looking for information on retiring in Baja/Rosarita. How large is the expat community in the Rosarita area? What are the most popular areas or is the Rosarita Beach area the main place everyone goes? Trying to stay away from "tourist" areas. If any of you are familiar with Chapala and Ajijic that is more like what I am looking for, but in the Baja area, does that exist? Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 02:42 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,924,573 times
Question would be on How Much Money you are willing to spend for your Shangra La.

Approx 14,000 Americans in the Rosarito and adjoining area......nothing on a major scale like Lake Chapala etc

There are a few walled in places south of Rosarito on the beach if that is your idea of a living place.

You would have to go thru a Bank Trust being with 100KM of the Beach and Border with the US.

Many like myself live amongst the locals.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:51 PM

Thanks for the info Steve! I would plan on renting the first year to learn the lay of the land. Like to keep the rent in the 600-1000 US dollars range. Could go higher if needed but would prefer not to. Don't necessarily want to live is some expat enclave behind walls. In Chapala I enjoyed being among the locals. I stayed just a couple blocks from the main street that has all the street vendors. I enjoyed walking the markets and the Malacon several times a day. Enjoyed having a frosty cold one in the local adult beverage establishments. Very friendly people in Chapala, more so than anywhere I could visit in the states. Anyway, that is more of the lifestyle I am looking for, not resort style living.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:16 PM

19,436 posts, read 27,823,287 times
We spent several summers down in Ajijic - I agree with you that it's wonderfully friendly. If you're still looking to move to Mexico, why not just move there, may I ask?

If it's a matter of being near the beach, remember the humidity will be awful in the summer. But you might want to check out San Carlos in Sonora.

And there's always San Miquel de Allende.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:20 PM

Humidity in Rosarito is practically NIL (except for the last couple of days with a Hurricane down south in Baja).

Temp avg here is 60-70 degrees most of the yr.

This past yr has been a downer as the weather was unusual same as with the US.

Sonora? Hot Hot Hot. Have friends in Cd de Obregon. Nice place (somewhat) but still HOT.

For Temp comparisons just Google San Ysidro 92173......about same in Rosarito

Old 08-27-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
We spent several summers down in Ajijic - I agree with you that it's wonderfully friendly. If you're still looking to move to Mexico, why not just move there, may I ask?

If it's a matter of being near the beach, remember the humidity will be awful in the summer. But you might want to check out San Carlos in Sonora.

And there's always San Miquel de Allende.
May end up in Ajijic. It was the first place I visited and just thought I should check out some other places before deciding! I will probably just drive down to Rosarito and spend some time there. San Miguel looks like a beautiful little town also worthy of checking out. Not planning on making a move till next spring so I will have time to visit several more places before I make the move.

Thanks for your input!

Old 08-27-2013, 11:02 PM

I spent three yrs in Mexico City with only a VISA....returning back to Calif every 90 days or 180 day for a visa renewal.

Living inland on a more permanent basis would require a FM2/3 that requires certain requirements to be filled in order to qualify. Google up Mexico Immigration for particulars re FM2/3 needs.

Understand NEW laws have gone into affect making it more difficult moving/living inland and buying property.

Many Americans are living between the border and Ensenada VISA FREE. (referred to as the FREE ZONE).

The San Ysidro/TJ border crossing is the busiest US/Mexico crossing.

The reason is the Americans living here and working in Calif SD area five days a week.

Cross between 4-9 AM and you will see mostly Calif plates in line.

Some here have the FM2/3 for various reasons and others none......either Renting or Buying is the status Quo.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:20 AM

Thanks Steve, I was aware of some Visa changes but have not really looked into details. Wherever I go I will plan on coming back for a visit every few months as I still have family here. Good info on the border crossings!

Old 08-28-2013, 12:50 PM

I will be crossing into San Ysidro tomorrow for the first time in 7 weeks.....need to check my mail and buy some groceries at the 99 cent store.......savings pays for my gas and some.

Have been here 17 yrs and this mornings fresh air reminded me when having breakfast in Acapulco the breeze was similar along with the warm sun.

My son lives in Buckeye while Grandaughters are in Phoenix.........you can keep the heat there thanks.

Last edited by Steve Bagu; 08-28-2013 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: tidbit info

Old 08-31-2013, 09:48 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,823,287 times
Just a few corrections to the Visa situation. There is no FM2/FM3 anymore. It's Residente Temporal and Residente Permanente. Neither allow you to work in Mexico legally (as far as I know that is still a separate Visa). You cannot keep a foreign plated car in Mexico longer than 6 months anymore (except in the Free Zone, I believe). The monetary requirements for getting those Visa's have also increased - quite a lot.

Purchasing property may eliminate some of the financial requirements of getting a new Visa, but not all of them.

Things have changed in Mexico as far as making it easy for a US or Canadian citizen to move there. Investigate this thoroughly before buying anything, and know that the rules can change again anytime. Personally, I wouldn't purchase property down there now (and we've lived part time in Mexico for several years).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico