Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 08:35 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,059,299 times

Advertisements

Will be in SLP [San Luis Potosi] for a few days in early half of February. Are there any suggestions [good/bad] as to restaurants [esp. seafood, steaks, local fare], cultural sites, nearby areas w/in 30-60 minute drive, etc.? Won't have a lot of time for such, but would like to see some of the richness [man made and natural] as much as possible.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 09:19 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
San Luis Potosi is a nice little town in a valley surronded by low hills. Warm sun, no clouds to speak of 80's -90's, perfect weather. Travelled thru town many times on way to Mexico City. Never stopped to eat though, but check out their Bull Training ring. Matadors work out with young bulls for future Bullfights. They do not KILL them, only workout with them for practice. I use to watch them on TV in Mexico City where it was raining and the beautiful sunshine the same day in Potosi. Not too much to see in the neiboring area. Enjoy your stay. Stefhen

Old 01-31-2008, 10:54 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,373,540 times
Actually there is a place to see that are a bit of an adventure trek north of SLP. It is a former mining town high in the mountains several hours north called Real de Catorce. You take a bus to Matahualpa, north of SLP. Then there is a bus that goes up into the mountains (above 2800 meters / 9000') on a windy road to the entrance to Real de Catorce. The entrance to town is a narrow tunnel through a solid rock mountain that goes for a kilometer or so, and opens up onto the main town square. The town is like a trip back in time to the 1800s, it is virtually intact from that era due to it's isolation from the outside world. Here's a weblink:

Real de Catorce's Home Page.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:25 AM

Stefhen & recycled, per the reps gave yas ~2 years ago and this note here, thanks much for your suggestions. I most likely will be back again this coming February sometime middle of the month, and again looking for any suggestions. Was able to bribe some amigos from one of the plants there to take me to Real de Catorce this past year - was excellent! Will post some photos of that trip and some others when get chance - three are currently in my album; one of a church in SLP, and two as flying over Monterrey area. Great city, wonderful people, gorgeous architecture, excellent food - this one back in 2008 was my 1st trip to the city, have been now 5 times total, love it. If it would be just a bit more rain in the area, knocking down the dust a bit more, providing some more running streams and greenery, would be excellent area even more so.

Yes, I am quite taken with that place... even have a few SLP futbal jerseys too, when lol I was [as far as could tell] just about the only gringo in the stadium. Even tho' my Spanish is embarrassingly poor [ imagine asking, ok trying to ask for a pollo fajita w/ quesa at a restaurant, and finding delivered to your table with great pride a whole chicken, covered with cheese, and the wraps on the side ], great walking around the streets, getting lost, discovering and seeing the beauty in the downtown areas.

Have also been to the active silver mine town/area nearby also - Cerro de San Pedro - and had interesting experience when took a very private, aka solo, trip down/into an old mine, w/ nothing more than rusty olden lamp provided by the grizzled 'guide', who stayed outside... when coming back, of course, the battery died,,, so used cell phone to illuminate way back out Yea, being a caver, never go underground w/o at least 4 lights, but heck, this wouldn't have been such an experience Very interesting roads coming into/out of the town - elevated - and again like SLP gorgeous buildings, great food, and wonderful peoples.

Would like to maybe travel further east, to Ciudad Valles, if time & bribery for a ride from compadres at the customer's plant again suffices. Anyone have knowledge, recommendations for best out of the way places, scenery, waterfalls, etc. in that, and/or other, areas? Thanks.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:23 PM

65 posts, read 326,626 times
Well, I guess you already did all you had to do nearby SLP, Real de Catorce and cerro de San Pedro are the most important tourist attractions in the area, I don't know if you visited the several museums in the city, such as The modern art museum (Museo de arte moderno), museo del virreynato (in Plaza del Carmen), El Museo de la Mascara (the mask museum, in the same plaza), el centro de las artes (state's art center on Calzada de Gudalupe street) and of course Laberinto (interactive museum, mostly intended for kids, but you can have a blast if you are in the mood, it is located inside park Tangamanga.

Now if you have the time you can go to Rio Verde, it is famous for the Media Luna lagoon and las Grutas de la catedral (the cathedral caves) , and the you definetely have to visit La huasteca, it is a very big area, Ciudad Valles is the main city in that area, you can stay there and fom there move to several places, such as Tamasopo (waterfalls), Xilitla (waterfalls, and an amazing construction made by sir Edward james, a bastard son of the English crown, this guy was excentric and built an amazing surrealistic garden, while in Xilitla you have to visit the town, the church in the main square is the oldest in the state and if you stay there, try to be at "el castillo hotel" this is an old house built by Edward james too, can eat at Cayo's restaurant, very clean and tasty, or if you are a little adventurous and don't mind for a little (or a lot) spice in your food, ask for Don Lalo in downtown he has tipical huastecan food. In "las pozas" (where the surreal garden is) ask for the restaurant "Los Peristilos".

From valles you can also visit Micos waterfalls, i don't know much about them since only been there twice long ago, and definetely you have to visit Tamul waterfall, it is just amazing in any decent hotel in valles city the can provide information on tours to this waterfall since it requires a boat travel trough the river, other important thing to do is visit el sotano de las golondrinas (wanderer's cave) in the municipality of Aquismon.

If you have any questions just ask, I am from San Luis Potosi, and I've been pretty much al aover the state. you can look for all these places at youtube, you will see a lot of information there is even a company that takes you to all this places I guess it is called huasteca desconocida or huasteca secreta, but they don't give you much time to spend in every place they visit.

Oh I forgot if you stay on a weekend in Xilitla, visit Casa Vieja Cafe at night, they have live music, cool environment and nice people.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:48 PM

keyhero - thanks, very much. No, actually have not been to any of the museums; have just walked all around the downtown city streets, from Alameda Juan Sarabia to Plaza del Carmen [ate/drank at the 'new' restaurant upper level to the north of there] to the indoor/outdoor market area few blocks north of there [I think at NE corner of Miery Teran and Miguel Hidalgo?] to Plaza de Las Armas to Plaza de Aranzazu, and nearby Jardin de San Francisco and to the fountains near Venustiano Carranza and Reforma,,, and other areas in between and around there, such as the northern part of Jardin Colon.

Beautiful buildings, and the churches - when these are lit up with the changing designs & lights on the special occasions, that is something even more special. Have been into the Universidad Autonmoa de San Luis Potosi campus/building [I think just north of Plaza de Los Fundadores?], bought a stainless steel water bottle as souvenir, ate in various "hole in the wall" little "cool" places, and bought multiple bags of chocolate from the Costanzo shop [just south-east of Plaza de Las Armas?]. Have been amazed at how many people are walking around shopping, mixing about, enjoying themselves, at all hours of the day & night... its an experience that I really enjoy.

Just sharing: was kinda taken aback when seeing the police [local, state, federal?] in groups sometimes, with rifles, etc., in these plazas. No, not a big deal at all, just not something used to seeing in the States. LOL, when I went to the SLP futbal game, I took taxi from hotel to the stadium, and ended up following multiple trucks filled with armed police to the game,,, and then when walking to get tickets, buy jersey, etc. all them around, on foot, horseback, in vehicles,,, was thinking, lol, this dumb arsed gringo, can't speak much Spanish, cell phone don't work in the area, and nobody that knows me knows where in hades I'm at! When bumming around, will admit that is a small shock to hear English or see other gringos, and when do, lol, its like "what are you doing here? ", but at same time is refreshing to hear 'native' English at times - if that makes sense. As it is frustrating that I do not know enough Spanish to communicate as well as I'd like to be able.

Have ate at the many restaurants downtown, out towards the industrial area [past the mall - which itself is nice place to visit/shop... and lol, have embarrassing fun time buggering up the Spanish language], and along Dr. Salvador Nava Martinez, near the hotels I stay at. Of all the meals, only one place really didn't care for at all... don't recall name, but had a western/cowboy decor, and I think a horseshoe? out front - was on the opposite side of Dr. Salvador Nava Martinez from the hotels. One main negative of all, the one that really disappoints me the most of all, is the amount of trash and debris alongside the roads, and in some vacant fields - esp. Dr. Salvador Nava Martinez, that see esp. when walking from hotels to stores, such as the WalMart on the opposite side.

As to Real de Catorce and cerro de San Pedro - those are indeed amazing places. Each one w/ its own personality, and interesting neat buildings & people. Guess I sound like a goofy tour guide, but honestly just love to visit this area. Have been to Monterrey few times, including hiking in the park in the mountains, but SLP just feels more comfortable, friendly.

Again, thanks for any additional suggestions and/or comments, including any restaurants. Speaking of such, if by chance I can't find someone from plant to drive to the La huasteca area near Ciudad Valles, any thoughts on inexpensive & safe means to get there? Will most likely be landing late on a Tuesday or Wednesday, be at plants all day Wednesday and Thursday, with Friday and Saturday to tour/visit, flying out Sunday before noon - with that said, would that be enough time to get to and actually enjoy that area to the east? I would love to see those caves; have heard of them... but have not had time/opportunity to go to any caves south of the border yet - taking cave gear on flights is not too easy these days.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:43 AM

Well, driving from San Luis to Rio Verde will take you 2 hours either way, the free or toll roads, same time by bus, as for money you could spend there, I don't have any idea since I always go there with my friends on our cars, with so little time forget about la huasteca, it is just too far away from SLP, let's say a 4-5 hour drive, and the same by bus.

I also feel disapointed and ashamed of the garbage people throw in the city and this country in general, I, as a teacher, tell my students don't to domthat and everything but their environment of "valemadrismo" don't allow them to do the right thing. Bad, bad culture.

If you are in SLP on weekend and want to have some questions answered give me a call, PM me and I'll give you my cell phone number.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 3,694 times
A question about San Luis Potosi:
I will be there for a week or two in September: is it possible to rent a furnished apartment anywhere in town? No me gusta quedarme en un hotel!
thanks a lot
Steve

Old 05-26-2010, 10:52 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,960,091 times
I never found SLP that impressive because it's heavily industrial and less interesting than other cities in the center north highlands. There used to be a Woolworth's downtown which was totally trippy for me because they'd closed down everywhere in North American by that time. I've heard great things about Real, but have never been there myself.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevele View Post
A question about San Luis Potosi:
I will be there for a week or two in September: is it possible to rent a furnished apartment anywhere in town? No me gusta quedarme en un hotel!
thanks a lot
Steve
You can look for them in the news papers, specially in El Sol de San Luis, and maybe some on the net but I'm not so sure about this second option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico