Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 10:09 PM

43 posts, read 75,278 times

Advertisements

Now I have never been to Miami. I am born and raised in San Francisco, CA. I have lived for college in Los Angeles. I will tell you why I'm over SF and looking at Miami.

Please this is all about advice so keep it one love

SF is different now than how it was when I was growing up. It's very yuppy, white, and expensive now. I myself am mixed (white/black/puerto rican and lean towards my hispanic side). I love my latin friends and men, and alot of people that I used to know have had to move to the greater bay area (antioch/richmond/etc). I also have grown weary over the weather here. Yes it is mild but its foggy n cold more often than not.

I hear miami is full of latinos and that appeals to me. I hear there are affordable apartments in high rise towers! Affordable to me is 700-899. I could never find an apartment here for that amount. I hear that its warm and humid (which my curly hair loves lol). Plus the women I have met here travelling from Miami have always looked glamorous which I LOVE. I am a girly girl with the nails, shades, tan, make up etc. I love reggaeton, like seriously don't get me started haah. My sis has live in Puerto Rico and from what she tells me I would like it there. Is PR and MIA that diff?

BTW, I am single and 23 years old and a medical assistant and barely fluent in spanish, but what I do know I dont get to use here that much.

I won't be moving for another year and a half to two years though. I am going to visit in October. What should I do and see when I am there??

I want to live in downtown Miami i think lol. Can you give me details on downtown miami? Or any other place that has medical centers and affordable highrise apartments near eachother not too far fom the water. (I'm trying to live/work/play in the same deal)

Thank you so much in advance. I will be back to answer any questions you may have. And please no one be offended by my "too white" comments. I just wasn't raised with many white american friends and feel comfortable in a community of latinos (not too ghetto mind you). Also, not that race is everything but hey when your single you want to be where you find the opposite sex attractive right?

My bf here is Nicoya, tall, dark, and muscular and not many here look like him haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 10:50 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,581 times
I really don't think getting something in a high rise for that price is an option.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:19 AM

1,062 posts, read 2,252,004 times
Well, if you have lived in both SF and LA, I can inform you that Miami is much more similar to LA than SF. Climate wise though Miami is much warmer than LA, and not even comparable to SF as SF is much much cooler and colder than Miami; with the exception of maybe this Jan. when he had our coldest winter in years.

Just like LA, Miami is very much car dependent for the most part unless you live and work accessible to public transportation. However, I am going to guess that well over 80% of the population in Miami commutes to work in a vehicle as opposed to public transportation.

As far as Downtown Miami goes, areas near Downtown with the exception of Brickell was not very desirable. This however has been changing within the last 5 years or so as more nicer apartments and condo have been built near downtown. In fact, the area just north of Bayside along biscayne is actually becoming more attractive and attracting more professionals and a different demographics than say, 15-20 years ago. Certain areas around downtown definitely has more potential to be an attractive place to live. In fact I can see in the near future (5-10 years), some of those areas in downtown to be a place where one can live, work, and play. In fact depending where near downtown you choose, is already like that today, but it is not cheap.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:06 AM

140 posts, read 508,405 times
For $900/month, you will likely need a roommate. You can definitely get a 2/2 in a newer highrise downtown for $1,700 - $1,800/mo in the heart of our downtown/Brickell area. You can get cheaper 2/2 apts in the Midtown area or just off Brickell. However, the market can change rapidly, and there's no guarantee those rents will be available in a year and a half.

I suggest you spend a few days in the Brickell area when you visit in October. The hotels are fairly reasonable compared, although you have to drive to the beach. I know someone who recently stayed at the business-oriented luxury hotel called the Conrad for $123/night (usually over $300/night) so check it out.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:45 PM

flyers29 thanks for your response, what would i be looking at for a 1/1?

observer thx for your response. I certainly did love LA and moving back there is an option but now Miami has piqued my interest. Where do you think I should check out on my visit.

feelingquiet, thx for your response.

Anyone else care to chime in?

Old 06-28-2010, 02:34 PM

415 posts, read 1,666,293 times
I agree w/ the previous poster. For $900/month, you will definitely look at a roommate situation in downtown Miami. You can get a really nice 2/2 for $1800/month. I mean really nice! You are talking about valet, rooftop pool, sauna, gym, etc all included. The lifestyle is COMPLETELY different from San Francisco and even different from LA.

I would say that downtown MIA is mostly latino. There are a few other nationalities represented in the area, but I would say that most people are latino. I've heard that a Brickell Avenue is extremely prestigous for people coming from Columbia, Venezuala, etc.. It's almost like having a Park Avenue address if you're living in NYC. I find this absolutely mind boggling, but I think it's true.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:53 PM

Hi howgoesit! Do tell on the lifestyle difference between SF\LA and Miami.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:55 AM

415 posts, read 1,666,293 times
I've never lived in San Francisco, but I've visited numerous times. People in SF are more aware of social issues, political stuff going on, and current events. People in MIA are are apathetic and aren't the type that follow the news. It's more of a party 24/7 type of environment. However, both areas are very 'blue' (though I'm sure on here will disagree)

Also, Miami is a service town. Most girls I've met out are bartenders, waitress, work on a cruise ship, or have similar careers. Whereas, it seem like people in the Bay Area are a lot more career focused and professional as a whole. It seems like in SF it's easy to meet successful people who are engineers, work in finance, lawyers, etc. It's much harder to find in Miami.

All things considered (weather, cost of living, etc), I still think the quality of life is better in south Florida than it is in the Bay.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:03 AM

Yes I totally noticed that! The median income is pretty low in miami but I suppose that money is isn't everything and hopefully I can still get paid a decent salary being in the medical field.

So when I go to visit in october I want to see brickell ave, university of miami, medical centers and hospitals (to which I will enquire on the application process), the BEACH, CLUBS, and downtown. Where should I get my hotel?? I'm just going to get a small hotel as I do not care to spend a lot on my hotel. I saw some on miami beach, would that be central to all that I want to see and do? Is it imperative that I rent a car?

Howgoesit, where do you live?

Old 06-29-2010, 10:02 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaCoast415 View Post
Is it imperative that I rent a car?
Yes if you drive don't hesitate about renting a car. It will save a lot of time and we also have some hospitals that not close to Metrorail stations so it will take you forever to get there by bus. If you don't drive I recommend you rent a hotel close to a metro rail station in SW Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami