U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 03:40 PM

9 posts, read 41,390 times

Advertisements

I am overwhelmed with all negative posts I have read in regards to Miami. I live in Las Vegas which is no paradise either, I crave the ocean and feel as dry as a catus. Originally from SO CALIF I moved back breifly in 2003 and only for 6 months. Everything involved a 2 hour + commute in bumper to bumper traffic, very overprised for the quality of life. I have NO desire to evere live there again. Can anyone give any thoughts about Coconut Grove?
Rate this post positively

Old 06-26-2007, 07:31 PM

929 posts, read 941,264 times
dude. im from LA, my gf's mom is from vegas and we've been to vegas many MANY times.
vegas is heaven compared to miami.
you can actually get quality meals with quality service at a reasonable price.
its not all ghetto either. miami is like detroit with palm trees and a pretty beach.
i grew up in redondo beach, lived in manhattan beach till 2.5 yrs ago.
you dont want to move here. the closest youll want would be orlando.
people here on average are meaner than most people youll meet in vegas.
remember that this place is as mean as hawaii is nice if youve ever been.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:38 PM

8,376 posts, read 28,564,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiXeL View Post
dude. im from LA, my gf's mom is from vegas and we've been to vegas many MANY times.
vegas is heaven compared to miami.
you can actually get quality meals with quality service at a reasonable price.
its not all ghetto either. miami is like detroit with palm trees and a pretty beach.
i grew up in redondo beach, lived in manhattan beach till 2.5 yrs ago.
you dont want to move here. the closest youll want would be orlando.
people here on average are meaner than most people youll meet in vegas.
remember that this place is as mean as hawaii is nice if youve ever been.
Funny, tons of great restaurants are up here, and prices are not too unreasonable.Service tends to be good.Coral Springs, if you move up there,it will be good for your mental health.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:44 PM

12 posts, read 81,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamaexplorers;
Hi all,
one more question, can you tell us what areas we need to avoid while in Miami.
We want to enjoy it and see it while we are there but we do not want to run into a bad area that would be over our head so to speak.
What about the dock area where the cruise ships dock. We will be staying nearby and do we need to be careful after certain hours etc.
How about walking on the beach after hours.
thanks for info all....
you can be honest with us, we are not going to be offended or whatever and appreciate candid responses from those from the area.
I live in Miami, and there are definitely certain areas to avoid and others that are traditionally safe. Most of the areas that are bad/ghetto are not close to the tourist areas and you would never go there in the first place unless you were lost, but these are Liberty City, Opa-Locka, Miami Gardens, Little Haiti, and parts of the Upper Eastside. The one that is close to downtown, which you also should avoid, is Overtown. This is mainly north and west of the two interstate highways that border downtown. Miami Beach is safe for the most part, and unless you're out after midnight in South Beach (but walking to the beach is usually no problem). In downtown, most areas are safe at all times of the day, but at night stay out of the Park West district in the north. Generally though the north side of town is more dangerous and the south side is safest. If you're in midtown or the design district (north side of downtown), you should make sure not to go west of I-95, or you'll end up in the sketchy areas of Allapattah, Lemon City, and Brownsville which should be avoided.

Enjoy your trip!

Old 06-30-2007, 06:40 PM

150 posts, read 397,383 times
Pretty much I would stay away from the whole area south of Daytona Beach. The keys, however, can be nice.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:17 PM

358 posts, read 1,739,415 times
Wow, you people are so dramatic. Original Poster, you will be fine in Miami. Granted there are places, as like any big city in the world that are not so great but there are so many great places. There is a difference between travelers and tourists. If you are a traveler, you will soak up what is great about Miami, and Florida in general, if you are a tourist then you will be looking for a clean Holiday Inn and burger kIng.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:01 AM

2 posts, read 19,948 times
There are some pretty nice areas in Miami, and all around it's more or less an okay city. However, there are defiantly some areas that you would want to stay clear of.

The Liberty City neighborhood of Miami is jam-packed with pimps, prostitutes, drug addicts, bums, and is pretty much urban decay at it's climax. It's one of the most crime filled areas in the city, and drug shootouts are not an uncommon thing to hear about there.

The only other area to match Liberty City's urban decay would probably be Opa-locka.

Other than just explaining it to you myself...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmafEnJTtTk

Sorry about the crappy music in the video. However the pictures will give you some insight on what kind of ghetto Opa-Locka truly is.

Also, if you plan on riding the Metrorail some, you may want to get a map to make sure you don't hit any of the Liberty City stations. I've heard stories of bums getting on, and robberies taking place in mid-ride.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:19 PM

1,973 posts, read 3,933,294 times
Ignore this guy's idiotic posts. This is what he posted about Beverly Hills for cryin' out loud!

Which was so ludicrous and absurd that someone was compelled to respond thusly:

Answer the ludicrous with the ludicrous, or just ignore!

P.S.
Also note that the posting by the user named JBarr also only has 2 posts. Same dude different username.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:22 PM

5,449 posts, read 6,657,140 times
Overtown, Carol City, Liberty City, Miami Gardens, Little Haiti, Little Habana.

At night though.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:23 PM

1,973 posts, read 3,933,294 times
Certain streets within those cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or