Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 01:01 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,422,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your.Decision View Post
Miami is not a friendly city. Its unfriendliness doesn't compare to NY or Chicago though. NY is huge and fast paced and people genuinely don't have time to be friendly (it's a big city). Miami is a different animal. People here aren't necessarily flat out rude, but the lack of manners, respect and consideration for others (especially on the road) van frustrate the crap out of you, along with the fact that people are very fake and stick to their established circles of friends.

Diverse? I do not consider Miami to be as diverse as NY. Miami is predominantly Latin (South and Central America) and Caribbean in terms of prevailing culture. Although Miami Beach is diverse, the rest of Miami-Dade really is not.

Miami is basically great if you are selfish, or simply want to live in a city where you are under no moral obligation to care about others or your community as a whole. Miami seems to attract such people, regardless of race. If you get off on 'laissez-faire' living and driving, Miami may just be for you.

I'll break it down like this: in New York, people are often rude (or let's call it impersonal) because they have to be. In Miami, people are rude because they want to be and they can get away with it. In Miami (as a man), it's all about owning the biggest set of b**s and asserting yourself, or get walked all over.
Great post man!! You hit the nail on the head. Rep points are in order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
I dunno, don't think Miami is different than many other places in that respect. Though I'd maybe go as far as to say that Miami suffers a bit more of a brain drain than other places.
So true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 04:35 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,107,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
Err, El Nuevo Herald is a whole different paper in itself. There is no "Spanish section" in the Miami Herald.
----

El NUEVO HERALD is a section of the MIAMI HERALD.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:51 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,107,982 times
Sold separately.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:26 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,194,475 times
Manolo, i think he means sections as in Section B (Travel) per se. El Nuevo Herald is its Spanish alternative, sold separately of course.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:54 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Manolo, i think he means sections as in Section B (Travel) per se. El Nuevo Herald is its Spanish alternative, sold separately of course.
That is what I meant. The two are closely related and owned by the same parent company, but are two different papers with different staff.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:41 AM

92 posts, read 367,950 times
This is an important question:
If you had to option to move to Miami would you?

Old 07-15-2010, 03:51 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,422,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USASportsBlogs View Post
This is an important question:
If you had to option to move to Miami would you?
The question is: DO YOU?

That's all that matters at this point, really.

If you want an answer: NO!!

There are better towns for what you seem to be looking for, but Miami may be a good fit for you. Take a trip there, and mingle with the people. As many as you can, then see if it's for you.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:45 AM

420 posts, read 805,048 times
Funny thing I remember about my time in Miami: 99% of the guys in the gym I worked out in would not rack the weights after they were done. I've never seen anything like it. Everywhere else in the country 99% of people do rack in the weights. In Miami the overwhelmingly majority don't.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:37 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
Funny thing I remember about my time in Miami: 99% of the guys in the gym I worked out in would not rack the weights after they were done. I've never seen anything like it. Everywhere else in the country 99% of people do rack in the weights. In Miami the overwhelmingly majority don't.
I've only lived in two other cities so I guess I can't account for 99% of the rest of the country, but I didn't see any difference as to whether or not people re-racked the weights. Some did, some didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami