Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 04:27 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
------

So what?
What's the big fuzz about a store clerk or a gas station attendant programmed to say "Yes, Ma'am", "No, Ma'am" or people smiling and saying "Hello" when you cross them?
It's all FALSE and make believe.
LOL! All "false" and "make believe?" NOT SO. I live in the Carolina's - it's not false or make believe. People are genuinely much friendlier up here. They dont throw trash out the window when driving, they dont curse or honk at you, etc.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:31 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,934,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
Compared to Miami, Raleigh is BoringLand.

The "hot/cool place" to hang out with friends in Raleigh is "Walmart" lol.
LMAO, had to rep you for that one!

Old 07-14-2010, 04:33 PM

683 posts, read 1,468,482 times
Believe me, it is true... and sad.

When I was up there in Raleigh I realized how awesome and vibrant Miami is.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:34 PM

2,226 posts, read 5,106,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
LOL! All "false" and "make believe?" NOT SO. I live in the Carolina's - it's not false or make believe. People are genuinely much friendlier up here. They dont throw trash out the window when driving, they dont curse or honk at you, etc.
----

Yes, false and make believe.
Sure, I bet those good ol' boys don't curse and don't honk at you, I bet you are part of their crowd.
Enjoy, and don't forget your prayers.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post
Well, a decade ago Miami was nicer, less hispanics and people where nicer. I came to Miami when I was a child without consent. By that time I had no idea Miami sucked or will suck even more later on neither my parents.
----

A decade ago Miami was just like TODAY. The same amount of hispanics. Well, if you're older of age you can leave. Miami won't change.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:41 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
----

Yes, false and make believe.
Sure, I bet those good ol' boys don't curse and don't honk at you, I bet you are part of their crowd.
Enjoy, and don't forget your prayers.
too funny

Old 07-14-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
You don't speak Spanish and you have lived in Miami for 48 years????

Wow...
--------

Edu

Yes, any normal human being would have learnt Spanish just by "diffusion".
More so considering she's Latin..

Last edited by Manolón; 07-14-2010 at 05:16 PM..

Old 07-14-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
The main thing that I notice when I leave Miami is how friendly people are in the service industry. Even the cashiers in Wal-Mart who get practical joke wages say hello to you!

I agree with the accident statement as well. I've seen horrific accidents...as in cars engulfed in flames (saw that twice), and wrecked cars on sidewalks where the driver just bailed . Hit and runs seem to be the in-thing in Miami...

As a single Black woman, it is always find it a hoot when I go out in Miami, and a guy (or people) ask me within the first 10 minutes "Where are you from"? I say Pennsylvania and they go, "No, that's not what I mean...". It turns out they want to know where my family is from. They push and prod until I say 'Jamaica'. Then they are satisfied and say, "Ha! I knew it!". No, what did you know? WTF...I was born and raised a long way from Jamaica. Then they go on about how they love Jamaica, Jamaicans...ergh.

When you leave Miami, your ears kind of go into shock when you don't hear 'Mami' or 'Papi' said by someone, somewhere, every hour of the day!

Also in (too) many places outside of Miami people stare at you like you are an alien when you are a minority. There are all these unspoken rules about where you should and should not be. You may need to speak Spanish, but I never walked in any place in Miami where people would turn around and look you up and down with this "What the hell are you doing in here" look; just because you are Black.
---

Nice.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
As someone who lives in Miami Beach and Raleigh, North Carolina, I can tell you that it is not all false and make believe.
How people behave tends to shape who they become. When people act politely, they tend to become more polite and considerate.
There's a lot that I love about Miami but the city and its citizens can learn a lot from other people and places as well.
-------------------------

I don’t think that being conditioned from birth or by your employer to say “Yes, Ma’am”, “No, Ma’am” and smile like a puppy and say “Hello” to people you don’t know has anything to do with politeness.

For them it’s like a human reflex, and they won’t hesitate to backstab 100 times the person they just greeted.

Really, all that fake politeness and fake Southern bonhomie sounds corny as hell out of their immediate context.

Any inhabitant of any civilized city will grab his wallet if somebody greets them out of the blue, sounds weird.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:16 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
Manolon, you belong in Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami