Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better tolerated by you ? Humid heat ( Miami),or dry heat ( Phoenix) ?
Humid heat better ( Miami) 25 46.30%
Dry heat better ( Phoenix) 24 44.44%
Makes no difference to me 5 9.26%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 06:59 PM

296 posts, read 228,466 times

Advertisements

Perhaps we can make an important distinction...

Dry heat under a shadow,with a little breeze & without direct sunlight,may be more tolerable than wet heat with the same parameters...
But dry heat under sunlight,without shadow & breeze ,wearing only a hat & glasses,is much worse than the equivalent wet heat.
Shadow & breeze work for the dry heat & against the wet one.
Sunlight & no wind work for the wet heat & against the dry one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 11:19 AM

787 posts, read 1,942,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenge2ful View Post
Perhaps we can make an important distinction...

Dry heat under a shadow,with a little breeze & without direct sunlight,may be more tolerable than wet heat with the same parameters...
But dry heat under sunlight,without shadow & breeze ,wearing only a hat & glasses,is much worse than the equivalent wet heat.
Shadow & breeze work for the dry heat & against the wet one.
Sunlight & no wind work for the wet heat & against the dry one.
Wenge2ful: I have to disagree with you here. I've spent a lot of time in Fla. As I've said before, I really like it and have even flirted with the idea of even living there someday.

Yet, there is no way sunlight and no wind "works" for humid heat and against dry heat.

I'll take an 85 or 90 degree day in So.Calif. over an 85 degree or 90 degree day in Miami anyday...regardless of shade or suglasses or wind. Far more comfortable in the DRY heat than wet.

I WILL grant you that a 105 degree day in Phoenix (or Palm Springs) is WORSE than a 90 degree day in Miami. But that is a 15 degree differential.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:34 PM

Perhaps I have a different subjective perception of wind & sunlight effect...

Maybe it is all psychological..

I prefer steambath from sauna...

Old 08-23-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Perhaps I have a different subjective perception of wind & sunlight effect...

Maybe it is all psychological..

I prefer steambath from sauna...
Yes, we can agree to disagree. The above are one and the same to me (or at least close approximations).

One point we probably agree on is Miami has the BEST winter weather in the continential U.S.A.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:29 PM

860 posts, read 2,715,986 times
I voted Phoenix because we moved here by choice from the Midwest. We had previously vacationed in NC and I found it pretty unbearable in the summer unless you were in A/C or at the beach. For some reason I feel heat sick faster in intense humidity. I have made it through a whole summer here and with lots of water and care, I have been OK. My adult acne is way better due to the dryness, and enjoy not feeling as sweaty and gross as I do in the South. (Indiana summers are nice, but the winters were wearing on me.) We went to DisneyWorld for Christmas and even in the 60 weather, it was damp and sticky, but chilly. My hair was a frizz-fest! My hair in Phoenix though is not so good.

What I don't get is why San Diego and other desirable So Cal locations(except Riverside, I lived there as a kid Uhg) are being compared. San Diego is the very definintion of mild climate. I grew up there as a young child and I pretty much lived outdoors.

One thing I'll give Miami- I am sure your skin looks better as you age. Jan Brewer's face scares me in to sunscreen submission.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:08 PM

Wow. Tie...23-23...

Old 08-29-2010, 07:19 PM

Yes..it is a contest between hot and hotter.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:38 PM

115 posts, read 337,330 times
Let's look at it this way: how about if someone offered you a one month (august) vacation all expenses paid in Phoenix or Miami, which one would you pick? For me, it's no contest! Miami.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:42 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Phoenix. I will take dry heat any day.

Have lived in both and you can function better in dry heat. And your not always checking yourself to see if you need to change your shirt...which is gross.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:39 AM

10 posts, read 27,215 times
Quote:
I'd take Miami style humid / "wet" heat every day...over feeling roasted under a relentless sun...
Its hot here and I still feel roasted in the sun. You guys never been to my campus, even tho its in miami its still hot as hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami