Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 12:15 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,075,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackHomeMIA View Post
Yes, that is the city proper, which doesn't not reflect the reality in South Florida. I am going to move to Weston (from Aventura), but when I travel back to California, I will still tell people I live in Miami! Which would make it a great place to live, since Weston is a great place for families.

I am curious, what do Broward people say when they go out of state fo instance, and people ask them where they live: "Oh, I live just north of Miami". And the reply would be: "Wow, that must be so dangerous!" Ha.

These articles can be pretty misleading.

And you see how LA is way above Miami in "quality". But ask most of the people (Miami critics) where they would rather live, and they will say LA.
I live in Parkland , used to live in Weston ... still name these places when I asked where I live or usually add they are suburbs of Ft.Lauderdale .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 12:40 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,134,209 times
These are the dumbest lists. They always come out and they are just o spur sales of their magazine by putting "Your City, USA" on the list. Every major populated area alwyas makes it on the list. You almost never see a top 100 of small towns...because then who would buy them and talk about them.

These lists are arbitrary, use data that most people don't factor in the same way when choosing a place and skew the real image of what these cities are like. I have seen just as many surveys saying how wonderful Miami is for the young. New magazine ranking, new month. Don't get worked up over your precious Miami getting bad publicity. Next week we will be a top beach and vacation spot with excellent potential for development in the LOOOONG run. I think city data should put out a survey based on posters rep points, poster with over 100 should vote their favorite and least favorite. That would probably be somewhat more accurate to the average person.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:36 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,311 times
Nope not even. Many people love small towns, or "the real America" as they call them. Others Like me would be miserable in those places. This is a huge country, the conservatives might be loud especially in the city data board but There are still millions of people who prefer larger cities.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:18 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Nope not even. Many people love small towns, or "the real America" as they call them. Others Like me would be miserable in those places. This is a huge country, the conservatives might be loud especially in the city data board but There are still millions of people who prefer larger cities.
I agree, Miami isn't the worst place to live by a long shot. I would go crazy in middle america too.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:29 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,322,033 times
Quote:
Amen to that! And when I say that, I mean EVERYTHING you said

Old 08-07-2010, 10:39 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,422,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Wow, they crushed Miami in that article. 2nd worst place to raise a family besides Detroit. Talked about there being a 1 in 12 chance you'll be a victim of property crime or violent crime. It even talks about being one of the worst places to drive.
As much as we want to discredit that list, there are some truths to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
Don't take these lists seriously. The authors always seem to have an agenda to bash
Only when they don't favor what some like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Always a gold lining/another side to a story... let's see here...

If it's a terrible place to raise a family, does that mean it's a great place to be single or married with no children? There's no shortage of adult entertainment.

Crime and safety depends totally on where you live. People living in Brickell are not experiencing the crime that say a person living in Liberty City does. Remember, Liberty City, Overtown, Little Haiti, Allapattah, Little River, Brownsville, etc. all are part of Miami proper.

Education depends on the individual.

Housing also depends on the individual, but note my next point below.

One mans bust is another mans boom. Miami is currently seeing housing prices come back down to affordable levels. People that previously would have been priced out of the market are now able to buy a piece of the American dream.

Worst drivers and commuting times? It gives people a reason to support and for us to expand mass transit lines. Other cities that currently don't have these problems will face them in the future. That's what happens with growth. If you think building transit lines are expensive now, just wait to see what they'll cost in the future.
All sensible points; agreed!

Quote:
So true, lol..

Old 08-08-2010, 12:59 AM

142 posts, read 362,331 times
Dallas has the worst drivers in the country..I know they're rated second worst after NY..but where else does someone tailgate you to then pass you to turn at the next corner .00001 second earlier.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:26 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,422,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagreeneyes03 View Post
Dallas has the worst drivers in the country..I know they're rated second worst after NY..but where else does someone tailgate you to then pass you to turn at the next corner .00001 second earlier.
Oh please, that's nothing. I've seen worse in South Florida. That's child's play for Miami drivers.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:30 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,184,507 times
Quote:
Let me ask you a question, were you in the left/passing lane?

Old 08-08-2010, 06:39 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,916,759 times
Quote:

LOL, you've obviously not spend much time in S FL or Orlando... Or Tampa. Pretty much anywhere in FL for that matter is pretty bad place to drive when it comes to idiots and rude driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami