Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 04:22 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,897,778 times

Advertisements

It's 9th worst!!

10 Worst Places to Live
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 05:16 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom1001 View Post
It's 9th worst!!

10 Worst Places to Live
Behind Newark :S man, Newark is terrible!

Old 08-06-2010, 07:13 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times
Wow, they crushed Miami in that article. 2nd worst place to raise a family besides Detroit. Talked about there being a 1 in 12 chance you'll be a victim of property crime or violent crime. It even talks about being one of the worst places to drive.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:14 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,175,796 times
Don't take these lists seriously. The authors always seem to have an agenda to bash

Old 08-06-2010, 07:46 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,188,171 times
It's not surprising though. You have to remember how small the city limits of Miami are. It's not like they said "South Florida is the worst place to live". They're just talking about the City of Miami, thats not like some shocking news.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:35 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,326,410 times
Always a gold lining/another side to a story... let's see here...

Quote:
Detroit is listed by Children's Health magazine as being the worst place to raise a family, but right behind it is Miami. If a city isn't a good place to raise a family, that likely means its also a terrible place to live.
If it's a terrible place to raise a family, does that mean it's a great place to be single or married with no children? There's no shortage of adult entertainment.
Quote:
Factors the magazine used to come to its conclusions, included crime and safety, education, economics, housing, cultural attractions, and health.
Crime and safety depends totally on where you live. People living in Brickell are not experiencing the crime that say a person living in Liberty City does. Remember, Liberty City, Overtown, Little Haiti, Allapattah, Little River, Brownsville, etc. all are part of Miami proper.

Education depends on the individual.

Housing also depends on the individual, but note my next point below.

Quote:
According to RealtyTrac, Miami has seen close to 40,000 foreclosures, making it one of the most active markets when it comes to people abandoning their homes. Crime is also a problem. Neighborhood Scout reports that Miami has one of the highest crime rates in the country, with a one in twelve chance that a resident will become a victim of a property or violent crime. Making things even worse, the city not only has some of the worst drivers in the country, but it also has some of the worst commuting times.
One mans bust is another mans boom. Miami is currently seeing housing prices come back down to affordable levels. People that previously would have been priced out of the market are now able to buy a piece of the American dream.

Worst drivers and commuting times? It gives people a reason to support and for us to expand mass transit lines. Other cities that currently don't have these problems will face them in the future. That's what happens with growth. If you think building transit lines are expensive now, just wait to see what they'll cost in the future.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:57 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,200,080 times
The article refers to the city proper, not the metro area.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:03 AM

115 posts, read 337,449 times
Yes, that is the city proper, which doesn't not reflect the reality in South Florida. I am going to move to Weston (from Aventura), but when I travel back to California, I will still tell people I live in Miami! Which would make it a great place to live, since Weston is a great place for families.

I am curious, what do Broward people say when they go out of state fo instance, and people ask them where they live: "Oh, I live just north of Miami". And the reply would be: "Wow, that must be so dangerous!" Ha.

These articles can be pretty misleading.

And you see how LA is way above Miami in "quality". But ask most of the people (Miami critics) where they would rather live, and they will say LA.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:56 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,386,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackHomeMIA View Post
Yes, that is the city proper, which doesn't not reflect the reality in South Florida. I am going to move to Weston (from Aventura), but when I travel back to California, I will still tell people I live in Miami! Which would make it a great place to live, since Weston is a great place for families.

I am curious, what do Broward people say when they go out of state fo instance, and people ask them where they live: "Oh, I live just north of Miami". And the reply would be: "Wow, that must be so dangerous!" Ha.

These articles can be pretty misleading.

And you see how LA is way above Miami in "quality". But ask most of the people (Miami critics) where they would rather live, and they will say LA.
Agreed.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:06 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,228,646 times
Agree with the article or not, I wouldn't live in any of those cities. Not for anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami