Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 06:54 PM

242 posts, read 315,508 times

Advertisements

To host World Cup games, Miami really needs to take a long hard think about its mass transit infrastructure. You'll be hosting people from many different countries, most of whom will not want to drive. Sun Life stadium needs to be connected BY TRAIN if Miami wants to be taken seriously as a WC venue. The entire area would need revitalizing, hotels would need to be built. It would not be practical to have spectators stay in Miami Beach, unless there were a rail connection.

Perhaps Miami would consider building a new multi-purpose stadium Downtown? There's enough space for it, the infrastructure is pretty much there and it'd be more central.

Good luck to Miami anyway. In theory, it'd be a good venue as long as the soccer players could cope with the heat and humidity during July.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 07:26 PM

140 posts, read 434,505 times
This city needs another stadium like eskimos need AC. world cup is a horrible idea for this city; who the hell wants that headache. I rather my tax dollars go elsewhere.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:43 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Not sure if you follow world cup or not but generally you build a appropriate stadium for the event. They want to recycle some bummy stadiium and retrofit it problem 1.

They do not have the mass transit infrastructure to handle the influx, they proved that during the super bowl.

There are many other cities in the states that are up for the bid that I feel are much better suited than Miami namely NYC, they have the infrastructure to move people around will build a new stadium if they get the bid etc. etc.
Not sure why a new stadium would be needed...just have to repaint the lines on the field. And Miami is already one of the 18 host cities should the US get the bid, so I'm thinking the transport problems were taken into consideration (though it is a very valid point and I'd hope they would figure it out before then).

Old 08-11-2010, 01:21 AM

535 posts, read 1,411,029 times
Thanks for the link! I voted for Miami, NY, Boston, and Atlanta and passed the link on my facebook

I hope Miami wins as a host city for such a great event!! This will help Miami's economy (I hope this damn recession is over by then). I wouldn't mind pay a couple more dollars for the cup, which I enjoy every four years with a PASSION!

Old 08-11-2010, 09:22 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,364,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Your.Decision View Post
To host World Cup games, Miami really needs to take a long hard think about its mass transit infrastructure. You'll be hosting people from many different countries, most of whom will not want to drive. Sun Life stadium needs to be connected BY TRAIN if Miami wants to be taken seriously as a WC venue. The entire area would need revitalizing, hotels would need to be built. It would not be practical to have spectators stay in Miami Beach, unless there were a rail connection.

Perhaps Miami would consider building a new multi-purpose stadium Downtown? There's enough space for it, the infrastructure is pretty much there and it'd be more central.

Good luck to Miami anyway. In theory, it'd be a good venue as long as the soccer players could cope with the heat and humidity during July.
Actually the city of Miami was planning to build a stadium downtown Miami. If they did that I would change my vote. Although I think they should start charging for metro mover by then. The revenue would be enough to expand that system all the way north to the design district (I would hope).

I tried to find a link to the proposed stadium downtown but i cant seem to locate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
Not sure why a new stadium would be needed...just have to repaint the lines on the field. And Miami is already one of the 18 host cities should the US get the bid, so I'm thinking the transport problems were taken into consideration (though it is a very valid point and I'd hope they would figure it out before then).
in the states it isn't, but for the rest of the world the world cup is a very prestigious event. For them to use those tired, disgusting, run down stadiums currently in place for the events would be to cast Miami who so desperately wants to play at the world stage as a amateur. You want to run with the big boys then you need to be ready for what comes with that. That means having world class mass transit, world class soccer stadium (for world cup), world class shopping and entertinment int he downtown area (which it doesn't yet), world class hotels, world class parks etc.. They have time though so they need to sort it out which I hope they do. If they address the issues I have, then i will vote for miami.

Last edited by Wild Style; 08-11-2010 at 10:06 AM..

Old 08-11-2010, 11:34 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,856 times
If south Africa was able to host the world cup I'm pretty sure Miami can do it. We already have the hotels, car rentals(most people that can afford such event drive) We can get more taxis. We also have a large soccer fan base, of course A city like Los angeles would be better for the final match.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:04 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,195,335 times
Some of you are not supporting Miami for !@#$%^ reasons

Old 08-11-2010, 12:28 PM

2,226 posts, read 5,108,426 times
F.C Barcelona has a Soccer Camp there.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:53 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,364,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintlaz1 View Post
This city needs another stadium like eskimos need AC. world cup is a horrible idea for this city; who the hell wants that headache. I rather my tax dollars go elsewhere.
thousands of people coming here, spending money on local businesses, yuck who needs that!

Old 08-11-2010, 02:29 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post

in the states it isn't, but for the rest of the world the world cup is a very prestigious event. For them to use those tired, disgusting, run down stadiums currently in place for the events would be to cast Miami who so desperately wants to play at the world stage as a amateur. You want to run with the big boys then you need to be ready for what comes with that. That means having world class mass transit, world class soccer stadium (for world cup), world class shopping and entertinment int he downtown area (which it doesn't yet), world class hotels, world class parks etc.. They have time though so they need to sort it out which I hope they do. If they address the issues I have, then i will vote for miami.
Again, you're going to have to be a little more specific when you say that US stadiums are "tired, run-down, and disgusting." I do realize that Sun Life (or whatever it will be called by that time) will be over 30 years old by then, however I do not think it's any worse than many other professional football stadiums here. You're also overstating the expectations of soccer fans in other countries--many major stadiums are old and haggard (much like college football stadiums here) because of the amount of tradition they have in them. More "chic" and new stadiums like Emirates Stadium are very much the exception.

Secondly, not sure why you're downplaying Miami's ability to cater to a sudden influx of tourists. It's already one of the world's most renowned vacation destinations and holds the Super Bowl every few years (keep in mind Miami would probably only host 3-4 games since it's one of 18 cities in the bid) as well as a major college bowl game each year. At worst this will be like hosting 3-4 Super Bowls, though that's assuming the stadiums will fill up (most World Cup venues have been much smaller than American football stadiums). I agreed with you earlier that transport would need drastic improvement before then, but I fail to see why Miami would have trouble supporting a large influx of visitors considering it has done so many times before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami