Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 09:56 PM

18,082 posts, read 18,681,854 times

Advertisements

Did I read that right? I was looking for housing around there, but I guess not anymore.......

If I did read correctly, is there some reason for this? I am glad I read about it because I would have never in my life would have thought to ask if a pickup truck would be allowed in an area.

I do not own one, nor plan on buying one, but rather not reside around people with this type of mentality. I better start my list of questions for when I start house hunting, maybe some place does not allow red cars? White cats?

Just crazy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 10:00 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,149,344 times
Well, I like that idea of not allowing certain things in certain places. Such rules, keep in balance the order, the concept, the look, and the tradition of a place.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:35 PM

4,836 posts, read 11,952,559 times
I have never heard of this before. Can you provide a link of this law? Is this the city or a certain neighborhood. Makes NO sense at all. I doubt this is true.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:39 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,281,642 times
I do believe it is commercial trucks being parked in driveways, not just your garden variety pick up, and I do believe I read some place even that had been relaxed some. Your agent should be up to date on this kind of information.

No need to start hysteria over something that isn't true

Old 08-26-2010, 11:10 PM

56 posts, read 94,209 times
Here is an old article:

Appeals Court Finds Ugly Implications in City's Anti-Truck Law - washingtonpost.com

Up-to-date;

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/08/25/1792147/citys-ban-on-overnight-truck-parking.html (broken link)

Old 08-27-2010, 03:37 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,149,344 times
I support that law.

Just like I said : "Declaring that communities may pass ordinances to enhance neighborhood aesthetics..."

"These ordinances make perfect sense and are rationally related to

maintaining and enhancing the residential character and the aesthetics of the City’s

neighborhoods because any vehicle that was designed for commercial use,

regardless of whether it is used for commercial purposes, looks the same and is

likely to be used to store and carry bulk material exposed to public view.

The “attractiveness of a community . . . [is] of

prime concern to the whole people and therefore affect[s] the welfare of all.”

Old 08-27-2010, 05:45 AM

119 posts, read 247,443 times
As long as it's not a commercial truck I don't see why there would be a problem. It's true that Coral Gable city ordinances keep the place looking like it does, but some of them are just plain stupid.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:28 AM

809 posts, read 2,307,685 times
There is a guy who has been fighting this for a long time. I think he is trying to push his agenda more so than being a poor worker who cannot afford anything more befitting of Coral Gables than an older Ford F-150.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:54 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,632,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Did I read that right? I was looking for housing around there, but I guess not anymore.......

If I did read correctly, is there some reason for this? I am glad I read about it because I would have never in my life would have thought to ask if a pickup truck would be allowed in an area.

I do not own one, nor plan on buying one, but rather not reside around people with this type of mentality. I better start my list of questions for when I start house hunting, maybe some place does not allow red cars? White cats?

Just crazy!
Coral Gables zoning code provides that one may not park an open-bed truck (for personal or commercial use) on the street, or uncovered on residential property, between the hours of 7:00 P.M. and 7:00 A.M. This means that if you have a pick-up truck, you have to park it in your garage during these hours. Even if you park it in your own driveway, you could get a ticket. I assume that the reason for this is aesthetic; many residents don't wish for "work trucks" to be present in their neighborhoods during non-work hours.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:09 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,282,714 times
I remember back when this made news many years ago. I thought it was a terrible errosion of private property rights back then and I still feel that way now. Even ignoring the snobish elitism factor, allowing this kind of ordanance for 'asthetic' reasons is a dangerous precedent. What they are really saying here is "we don't want working class people in our neighborhood". It's a small step from 'working class people' tp minority groups. Oh, they won't SAY that but there are lots of ways to target certain groups of people without having to explicitly mention race. What about ugly people? Fat people? Can a neighborhood require you to have a gym membership to live there? Could they require you to attend a minimum number of times a month? Where does it end? It used to be once you bought a piece of land it was actually yours. It seems that concept is gone. Thank God I live in Houston now with no zoning laws and few ordanances. If seeing the occasional purple house ( ) is the price I have to pay for defending private property rights then so be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami