Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 06:58 AM

350 posts, read 1,521,590 times

Advertisements

Just like rogerbacon, I am also leaving Miami, also not because I'm unhappy here, but for economic reasons.

We've lived a great life here and have been happy with everything, except for the fact that, like many others, I can't find a job here. So we're moving to where the jobs are - Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.

Once we're settled there, I look forward to posting comparisons between that city and Miami. I get the feeling that Abu Dhabi is like an intensified Miami - whatever Miami is, Abu Dhabi is more, from the weather, the wealth vs. poverty, the diversity, etc. I've never considered Miami driving to be bad, but by all accounts it sounds like it is much worse in Abu Dhabi!

See you all later; will catch you on the other side of my journey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 07:20 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,302,789 times
Wow , that's a big move. I'm looking forward to hearing what its like. What industry are you going to be working in? Good luck with your new job.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:32 AM

Thanks, roger. I work in the education field. How's life in Houston? Better than Miami?

Old 08-26-2010, 09:06 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,302,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicsma2002 View Post
Thanks, roger. I work in the education field. How's life in Houston? Better than Miami?
Education. Interesting. I was going to guess oil, since that part of the world isn't known for much else. Of course, if you've got oil you can afford to buy everything else. (Portable fusion reactors can't get here soon enough for me. Come on Mr. Fusion)
Houston is great. I've got a thread here. I will update it Monday, as that will be the two month mark.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:34 AM

I'm glad to hear things are going well in Houston. UAE is a relatively new country and they are recruiting westerners from all over for all employment sectors. The job market is relatively good there, and they are offering generous packages.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:48 AM

604 posts, read 856,006 times
Nicsma2002, congratulations! Good luck to you.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:15 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
It was the Amir of Abu Dhabi that bailed out Dubai when it was about to go belly up. Abu Dhabi was a good choice. I speak arabic and I am muslim. I was considering moving to the gulf for awhile. Still may one day. We shall see. Look forward to hearing about your adventures in al khaleej

Old 08-26-2010, 11:15 AM

361 posts, read 1,087,691 times
That's cool. Congratulations and keep us posted.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:18 PM

Marhaba wa shookrun (Hi and thank you), Wild style. I'm not muslim, but I do know a little Arabic. Does al khaleej mean "the gulf?" I hope to improve upon my arabi while there. So much to learn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
It was the Amir of Abu Dhabi that bailed out Dubai when it was about to go belly up. Abu Dhabi was a good choice. I speak arabic and I am muslim. I was considering moving to the gulf for awhile. Still may one day. We shall see. Look forward to hearing about your adventures in al khaleej

Old 08-26-2010, 01:31 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicsma2002 View Post
Marhaba wa shookrun (Hi and thank you), Wild style. I'm not muslim, but I do know a little Arabic. Does al khaleej mean "the gulf?" I hope to improve upon my arabi while there. So much to learn!
al khaleej (the gulf) yes and marhabatan (response to marhaba) a'fwan (response to shookran). You should pick it up easy. It is easier than English once you know the alphabet, its pretty phonetic in terms of reading.

P.S.

try to focus on learning proper arabic, not the dareeja (dialects) those are to many in number and some are very hard to understand (I can not understand Maghribi arabs i.e. morocco etc.) Once you do that, you will be in good shape. Also, try the maghlooba and waraqat al a'ynab (stuffed grape leaves) SOOOOOOOO good! Also, from what I have heard about the khaleej, they drive like idiots over there. You also gotta try out the new mass transit system they rolled out in Dubai. I haev not seen it with my own eyes but supposedly its pretty amazing. They did it in 4 yrs time but i guess with money to throw away projects like that are easy. Also they are building a city I THINK its in Abu Dhabi that you will not be allowed to drive a car in, it will only be for renewable energy. Anything fossil fuel based will not be allowed it. First of its kind in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: