Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 11:33 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,941,124 times

Advertisements

It probably would be easier to state what Hispanic groups Miami doesn't have.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:35 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,266,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson View Post
I understand this is a subjective term but you should touch the Aquiles heel of Honolu and Hawai in general. How can you afford to live there? Miami is expensive but Honolu is crazy unless you have a high profitable business. Besides, Have you actually lived in Hawai or you are antoher tourist dreaming of living to Hawai?
nah i'm just someone who pines for hawaii. i moved here because i could not live there and i require the climate for my hobbies which are who i am.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynwood View Post
The comment about 4,000 people acting the same way came off as being very irrational - or anti-analytical

When I drive like a maniac and someone flips me off, I never ask him/her what country they are from. When I am rude to a customer service worker, I never ask them where they are from. When someone refuses to speak Spanish to me, I never ask them where they are from. When I am riding my bike and cut in front of a car to avoid blowing my tire on broken beer bottles and that person yells at me, I never ask where that person is from. If I see someone not picking up their doggy poopy, I never say "hey pick that up - by the way, what country are you from?"

Sure I have my ideas based on accent, but unless I ask I can never be sure. I have many great Cuban friends (I am not Cuban), and all of them are different. If I was to generalize on 4,000 people I met acting the same way, I'd have to ask each one where they are from until I collect 4,000 from the same country, then I'd have to analyze their behaviors based on a few seconds of observation. That is an unworthy task.

What is funny, is that if I had to count all of the people who have volunteered to tell me where they are from, Miami would be populated mostly by New Yorkers, since that is the first thing out of their mouth.

ME: "Hey, pick up your dog ****"
Stranger: "Well you see, I am from New Yawk, and we hate Miami, blah blah blah blah..."

lol. you dont have to ask where they're from. they've got flags plastered all over their car =)

Old 06-16-2011, 11:49 AM

433 posts, read 953,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
It probably would be easier to state what Hispanic groups Miami doesn't have.
Miami Hispanic Group is way different than the West Coast. Mexican and Central America presence is not so strong here. Though, I am waiting for a real Mexican Restaurant in Miami because so far, Meah. The places I have been are too Tex-Mex food. I want real tacos al pastor!

Old 06-16-2011, 11:53 AM

Making negative comments or bashing a city or people doesn't exude much class or culture from an individual as any person with a low I.Q. can do that.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson View Post
Miami Hispanic Group is way different than the West Coast. Mexican and Central America presence is not so strong here. Though, I am waiting for a real Mexican Restaurant in Miami because so far, Meah. The places I have been are too Tex-Mex food. I want real tacos al pastor!

umm you havent been to la pasadita in homestead by the homestead post office then.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:54 PM

193 posts, read 371,499 times
For the op...

I've met tall Hispanics, some short ones; some white ones, some brown ones, some black ones; some speak English, some don't, some speak French/German/Portuguese (among others), some don't, and some don't speak Spanish very well; some are fat, some are thin, some are "curvy"; some have brown hair, some have blonde hair, and many have something in-between; some like soccer, some don't. Is that accurate enough?

There are lots of different Hispanics in South Florida.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:41 PM

337 posts, read 968,961 times
I'm reading the different posts and notice a lot of references to "white" and "black" latinos. I live in nyc but have always heard that miami is different. Is there a race strata type thing going on? I know two black cuban guys that have an auto body shop in the bronx. They use to live in miami and always talk about how prejudice the white cubans can be. I'm latino but not cuban so this is new to me.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:45 PM

everybody hates everybody. that essentially sums it up. its one giant hatefest.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el77 View Post
I'm reading the different posts and notice a lot of references to "white" and "black" latinos. I live in nyc but have always heard that miami is different. Is there a race strata type thing going on? I know two black cuban guys that have an auto body shop in the bronx. They use to live in miami and always talk about how prejudice the white cubans can be. I'm latino but not cuban so this is new to me.
I guess they are stating that there are the real dark looking Cubans and then the ones who look like Ricky Ricardo from the "I Love Lucy Show".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami