Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 12:40 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Like Rock said you pretty much have every hispanic background represented here in Miami.
Though not too many Mexicans outside of the laborers working on the farms. I think that makes a big difference when comparing to other places in the country.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:49 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
Though not too many Mexicans outside of the laborers working on the farms. I think that makes a big difference when comparing to other places in the country.
Not all true ... you have a growing number of affluent white Mexicans from Mexico City who are purchasing expensive homes and condos in Coral Gables , Aventura , Brickell and Key Biscayne ... very elitist "white " Mexicans that include many Mexican telenovela ( soap opera stars ) and singers ... the Univision and Televisa crowd ... I go to Mexico City often and Miami has become their sort of Latin Hollywood and a chic place to purchase property .

Old 08-30-2010, 06:00 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,196,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Not all true ... you have a growing number of affluent white Mexicans from Mexico City who are purchasing expensive homes and condos in Coral Gables , Aventura , Brickell and Key Biscayne ... very elitist "white " Mexicans that include many Mexican telenovela ( soap opera stars ) and singers ... the Univision and Televisa crowd ... I go to Mexico City often and Miami has become their sort of Latin Hollywood and a chic place to purchase property .
But's it's been like that since the mid 90's. Do you remember Thalia?? She used to live at a luxurious apartment in Souchy Beachy.

Even the great majority of our Mexican "neighbors", here in the Greater Miami Dade Area, tend to look very different from the ones u see in Cali or Homestead.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:11 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,982 times
Quote:
This is true, but you don't see as many below the wealthy class...and that makes a difference when comparing Miami to the rest of the country.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:27 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie_77 View Post
The old timer white Cuban's of the 50's, 60's and 70's are starting to dwindle and many of their offspring have left Miami for good. Now there's mostly newer Cubans as well as a lot of South and Central Americans.
This is true. Miami's Latin population has really gotten diverse since 1980. This has been increasingly evident to me in the last 5-10 years or so.

There are still plenty of "old-timer" Cubans (who have lived in this country for 30-50 years) and their American-born children, however, in Coral Gables, West Miami, Kendall, Coral Way/The Roads, South Miami, Pinecrest, and Miami Lakes.

Though Miami-Dade County is about 60% "Hispanic," less than half are Cuban or Cuban-American and probably only about half of which are "old-timers" and their kids.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:51 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
last Census estimates put Cubans in Miami Dade county at around 800,000 or so. Mexicans are 40,000 or so are as stated above they tend to be the white elites of Mexico not the mestizo darker kind you find in Texas or California.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:44 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
Quote:

I think when he is mentioning "Mexicans" - he is speaking more about the type of Mexican you imagin when someone says "I'm Mexican" - I don't imagine Luis Miguel or Thalia - I imagine more of a Lou Diamon Phillips with a pancho - I know it is not altogether accurate but, it is still what I think of - being from NY the Mexicans don't even look like Mexicans in Cali or Texas - they look very indian looking - ethnic looking so to speak - nothing at all wrong with it - this is just the image I get in my head - just like when I think of Puerto Ricans I think of Marc Anthony or J-Lo -while they have money and all that life can offer but most of their family is probably on the louder side at gatherings - this is certainly a fact of Marc Anthony's family who still had an apartment in a housing project in Spanish Harlem! When I think of Dominican's I think of Jose Reyes or Big Papi - but Dominicans too have really light complected people - you just never can tell! Colombians to me are the most like the Carribean Hispanics - culture, color and food wise - there is even a place in Colombia that the accent is very, very similar to that of Dominicans. (Princess, maybe you can help me out with that one, I'm not sure if it is Barranquilla or Medellin or neither). Argentineans, Uruguayans and Chileans are TO ME the most alike in South America. They are for the most part white (not always, as is the case of my husban, his complexion is much more like Johan Santana, which is not dark but for Argentina, he might as well be black). They don't typically eat what one may consider spanish food (rice & beans). I guess this is because a large portion of them are 2nd and 3rd generation Italians and Germans. I don't know where I would place Venezuelans, I guess they're somewhere in the middle. Equa's and Peruv very similar cultures to one another and that of Colombia but their look is different - It is rare to mistake a peruvian for a Colombian - This is my take - this is from someone coming from NY where almost everyone I grew up with was hispanic from everywhere. I will agree with Rock that we (Hispanics) do all hold eachother in a certain regard. I don't know why that is but it is fact. They way that Cubans are spoken about here is the same way Puerto Ricans were spoken about in NY - sucks but it is true!

Old 08-31-2010, 12:01 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,332 times
Default Senyor Lou Diamond, huhh????

[quote=Chelsa1075;15699575]I think when he is mentioning "Mexicans" - he is speaking more about the type of Mexican you imagin when someone says "I'm Mexican" - I don't imagine Luis Miguel or Thalia - I imagine more of a Lou Diamon Phillips with a pancho - I know it is not altogether accurate but, it is still what I think of - being from NY the Mexicans don't even look like Mexicans in Cali or Texas - they look very indian looking -]

Man, you are sooo wrong! Lou Diamond Phillips isn't even MEXICAN!!! You're stereotypic Indio-Mexican is an American Navy brat and product of a marriage of a white sailor and a Phillipina woman. Born at Subic, Luzon I.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:25 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,196,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
They are for the most part white (not always, as is the case of my husban, his complexion is much more like Johan Santana, which is not dark but for Argentina, he might as well be black).

Johan Santana IS black

Old 09-01-2010, 12:08 AM

787 posts, read 1,942,825 times
[quote=bamba_boy;15701549]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
I think when he is mentioning "Mexicans" - he is speaking more about the type of Mexican you imagin when someone says "I'm Mexican" - I don't imagine Luis Miguel or Thalia - I imagine more of a Lou Diamon Phillips with a pancho - I know it is not altogether accurate but, it is still what I think of - being from NY the Mexicans don't even look like Mexicans in Cali or Texas - they look very indian looking -]

Man, you are sooo wrong! Lou Diamond Phillips isn't even MEXICAN!!! You're stereotypic Indio-Mexican is an American Navy brat and product of a marriage of a white sailor and a Phillipina woman. Born at Subic, Luzon I.
Yes, and I might add that Lou's ancestry roughly breaks down as follows:

Father: 3/4's Scotts-Irish; 1/4 Native American;

Mother: Filipina including a mix of Spanish (as in Spain), Chinese, and Japanese ancestry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami