Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 09:00 AM

525 posts, read 761,435 times

Advertisements

What do you think? Do you think Miami can do this as well as places
100 % truly tropical?

I am open to your honest opinions. I am curious, as I like tropical beach vacations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 09:04 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
You can get a nice tan in Maine.........

Do you not know the physics of the sun?

Old 08-28-2010, 09:22 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,078,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSantos View Post
100 % truly tropical?

I am open to your honest opinions. I am curious, as I like tropical beach vacations.
Are you serious or is this a trick question ... you are kidding ... right ?

Old 08-28-2010, 09:25 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
100 % truly tropical?

I went skiing in Vermont when I was in 7th grade and got a really bad sunburn.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post

The temperate zone tint to your skin is not as rich. This is obvious. Miami is better than all the other areas of the U.S.

The question is will truly tropical places give you more vibrant tan than even Miami

Old 08-28-2010, 09:26 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,304,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post

Ayah! It doesn't matter where you are.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:21 AM

Places at Miami's latitude and south most definitely produce a different looking tan. It is more vibrant and richer.

My question is can Central America etc produce an even richer look, or is Miami close enough to tropical level sunlight not to matter?

Old 08-28-2010, 10:23 AM

787 posts, read 1,943,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Are you serious or is this a trick question ... you are kidding ... right ?
I think it was a trick question....

See this prior thread by the OP which details his distaste for any description of So.Fla. as tropical.

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...-tropical.html

Old 08-28-2010, 12:04 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
The temperate zone tint to your skin is not as rich. This is obvious. Miami is better than all the other areas of the U.S.

The question is will truly tropical places give you more vibrant tan than even Miami
Dude, I use to live in Goa, India, it is the freakin same tan as when I lived in Connecticut.

The UV rays have less atmosphere penetration near the equator than near the poles, this is due to the angle in which the sun's rays comes.

So, depending on the time of year and location, yes, a person can get a tan a bit more easily.

BUT, it will be the same tan. Yes, some people have different reactions to the sun, but others will be the same. I have lived in several countries due to my job and beleive me, the tan is the same.

I use to go mountain climbing in Norway during the summer, I would get a great tan when doing that because I would just be in shorts the whole time.

If you would see me now, you would think I was a long timme Florida resident, nope, moved here a couple of weeks ago. My tan is from residing in Astana, Kazakhstan for a while.

The individual may be different, heck, many people may react a bit differently, I sure don't, being in Iraq everyone aorund didn't, and my life expereinces lead me to expect nill difference. Thier is a presumption of difference, but this is due more to lifestyle in tropical areas than in northern areas which leads to a more outdoor, and less dressed, lifestyle.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:38 PM

The tint to the skin is absolutely not the same in the tropics as the temperate zone. Someone who lays out all day in PR will have a different look than a person who stays in NY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami